Friday, May 09, 2008

Ian doesn't do reunions -- except maybe for money

I’m feeling thoroughly stressed out today. Well, maybe that’s excessive. I am feeling mildly disconcerted. The reason I am disconcerted is because the high school at which I once taught is celebrating a major anniversary this week, and one component is some sort of a reunion thing.

Ian doesn’t do reunions. I have never been to a class reunion of either the high school or university I attended. I have been to a couple at the school where I taught, but only because a couple of favorite students were going to attend. And, it was one of those, OK do the handshake, give the hug, marvel with assorted ‘oohs’ and ‘aahs’ how some people had changed, be enchanted how the little lame duck girl from 11th grade had become a hot fox – and then get the hell out of the place.

So, I don’t really want to have anything to do with this forthcoming thing. One of the reasons I want to shun all the nonsense is because the past is the past, bygones are bygones, and life moves on. Another of the reasons I would like to stay away is because I left my teaching gig early; after only eight years in the classroom.

I left early because, quite frankly, I couldn’t stand the calling. I did not want to spend the rest of my working life fulfilling some bureaucratic function with a group of people as colleagues I wouldn’t have chosen as friends – with some notable exceptions, many of whom remain friends today – and acquiescing to the decrees of some brain-dead ex jock who called himself an administrator.

By the way, my addition to the old Bernard Shaw adage, which proposes that: “Those who can, do – those who can’t, teach.” I would extend GBS to include: “Those who can’t teach, teach PE; -- those who can’t teach PE become administrators – those who suck at administration become superintendents.”

Oh, I could go on and on. See how it wasn’t a good fit for me with my contraritan nature?

My departure, I must emphasize, had nothing to do with the kids (most of whom I liked very much and got along well with) or the act of teaching, which I also enjoyed immensely. And the perks were pretty damn fine, too. Few others in any field can boast the freedom to work nine months of the year, yet be paid for 12.

My departure also had nothing to do with my skills. I was a good teacher, and highly regarded by my students. I was also English department chair when I was still in my 20s, as recognition of the fact that I was doing well and had much to offer.

No, it was the bullshit that drove me out; the bullshit that permeates the public school system. Bullshit like adhering to antediluvian ideas; watching the talentless be promoted; seeing good and highly creative kids being chastised and even punished because their hair was too long or they did not fit into some preconceived notion of acceptability; seeing inordinate amounts of money going to athletic programs, yet little going to academics. Bullshit from superintendents and boards; bullshit from administrators, and especially bullshit from the most left-wing union this side of the Kremlin back in the good old USSR days.

So, I left. I never looked back. I’m happy I left because I got to work with real adults in an adult world. I didn’t make as much money; I certainly didn’t get the perks, and I had to work harder. But, it’s all been good.

So, what is the deal with this weekend? Well, I was initially going to have no part of it. Then I made the mistake of paying a call on my old editor this week. She asked me if I was going to go to the reunion. I said I probably wasn’t. She said she’d love it if I did and that she was quite prepared to pay me fairly well for an “Ian story” on the matter, since I had once been there as a teacher.

Money. Hmm. OK. Money always has an ability to cut through bullshit or even ones finer feelings.

But, I won’t like it, even if I must confess to being a tiny bit curious.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger Dumdad said...

Good for you: you get paid, you get to the reunion and, who knows, you might get to enjoy yourself. Win-win situation really.

9:11 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Reunions. Dear God. No.

On the other hand, do you have a really awful suit stashed away, maybe a baby blue polyester number? This could be a good time to pull it out of storage.

9:57 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i've never gone, either

not enough filthy lucre to make me change my mind, either... but hey, YOU can have the fun! ;) lol

10:07 AM  
Blogger Lowry said...

Doesn't money make everything a bit more enticing. lol

10:21 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

Well, if it's an assignment, then go and turn all the negatives about the thing into a great story. It's a perfect fit!

11:00 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

I went all the way to Australia for the 50th reunion of my High School(all girls). It was great to see everyone again.

Well money does make a difference but you'll have to be nice about it for the filthy lucre. Too bad you can't give us your real opinion here, but that would not be wise.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I'm with you on reunions. Never been to one and won't ever go to one in the future either. That's what Facebook is for these days :) So they say anyway.

At least you're getting paid to go. Now you can look at it as a job and ask all kinds of invasive questions. lol

6:03 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Maybe you could parlay this into a kind of annuity -- your writing services for every possible occasion involving every school you've ever attended or taught at.

I totally share your thoughts on school administrators. "Them what can't think, administer."

11:48 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

My 30th high school reunion is soon. I haven't been to any either. I kinda don't feel a need to look back. I've always been a now and future person.

1:18 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

I've never gone to a reuinon either. But, as an administrator I can say that I'll go to one if policy dictates. As such, protocol will define my attire and deportment while in attendance. As it should be.
Have fun.

5:41 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I've never attended any either - just not my cup of tea. If it's a writing assignment that might make a difference for you.

7:31 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

My husband loves reunions but I've only been to one from my old school. There was only one girl in the room I felt I had anything in common with.


Still, as dumdad says, I would go for it anything, just out of curiosity.

2:05 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Are we going to get the reunion story?

11:17 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Oh, and for the record, I've never been to a reunion either. I never saw those people again after high school or university, and I'm not about to start now.

11:18 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home