Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Give demon rum a break

Congressman Mark Foley blames his misbehavior in propositioning legislative pages on the fact he suspects he is an alcoholic. Actor Mel Gibson gets pissed up and launches into an idiotic anti-Semitic diatribe when he’s busted for DUI on his alcoholism. Back in 1974 Congressman Wilbur Mills got up to all sorts of monkey-business with a stripper named Fanne Fox and blamed his moronic behavior on his alcoholism.

OK. Let’s take alcoholism as a defence for stupidity and worse. Then, what I am waiting for is for some legal sharpie to cite alcoholism as a defence for a DUI charge. I mean alcoholism is already considered a mitigating factor for deeds as dastardly as sexual assault, and even murder, so why not drunk driving?

“Your honor, my client pleads not guilty to the charge of driving while intoxicated because he was drunk at the time the incident took place, therefore he could not form the mens rea to carry out the act for which he is accused. As his judgment was impaired, how could he be charged with a crime for which he could form no premeditation.”

Could work. I hope it never does. I also wish people would stop blaming demon rum for their stupidity and take some ownership of what they have done and who they are.

Basically what alcohol and most other drugs do (and alcohol is indeed a drug) is to lower the inhibitions and make people act impulsively. But, whatever some yoyo does while drunk, that is because of who they are and what is festering inside. Foley wants to screw pages drunk or sober. It’s just that being drunk gives him the balls (metaphorically speaking) to carry out his aspirations. Mel Jew-bashes when he’s drunk. Mel wants to Jew-bash when he’s sober, but recognizes when sober that revealing who he really is might not be so hot for his career.

Ever know a lovable drunk? Of course. We all have. They are lovable drunks because that is who they are drunk or sober – lovable. A lovable drunk doesn’t get into brawls, molest children or make unwanted passes at your wife. That’s because he’s a good guy, even if he is a drunk.

When I was counselling I met dozens of lovable drunks. They may have been killing themselves with booze, but they were going out smiling – or at least they stood the potential to do so unless they got their alcoholism in check.

There is nothing criminal or shameful about being alcoholic. Betty Ford helped to establish that mindset, and God bless her for doing so. But, there is something shameful about molesting children, being a bigoted jerk, driving while intoxicated and committing crimes while out of control.

There’s something even more shameful about blaming the transgression on a neutral substance rather than taking ownership of the behavior.

Foley and Gibson and all others afflicted with alcoholism should indeed get the help they need. But, they should also get a lot of further counselling to deal with their other issues. Booze counselling won’t give them what they need in those realms.

9 Comments:

Blogger Leslie: said...

Well put, Ian. Alcoholism is, indeed, an illness. But just as a diabetic must not eat sweets, so an alcoholic must not drink any alcohol. It is, as you say, a matter of recognizing the illness and taking responsiblity for controlling it. However, we are all human and do at times "fall off the wagon." Let's not put more shame on those who slip up. Rather, let's encourage and support them in their journey to recovery.

5:14 PM  
Blogger djn said...

I have also noticed that if anyone gets in the slightest bit of trouble, be it Hollyweird or Washington, they enter a treatment facility! It drives me crazy. Alcoholism is a ligit disease but I hate for it to be used as an excuse for behavior not so ligit...

5:29 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I wish everyone could read this post. Yours is one of the best commentaries I've read on this issue.

7:48 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I have a potentially silly question but bear with me.

If alcoholism is a disease, is drug abuse also a disease?
(I don't recall drug abuse ever being called a disease...but I'm sure I must be mistaken.)

If it's not, why not?

8:27 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Nothing makes me madder than people blaming bad behavior on alcohol. I drink beer all the time and I am one of the most pleasant people you will ever meet. (I deliver Meals on Wheels once a week!) And to blame pedophilia on alcohol really just stretches the imagination! Good post, Ian.

11:07 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

I've NEVER been so drunk I didn't know what I was doing. And I have on a few far-apart (let me add) occasions drunk FAR more than is good for my liver.

I don't think being drunk is an acceptable excuse for committing a crime.

Laughing too much and wearing a lampshade...perhaps.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Groanin' Jock said...

Very well put Ian. I've met snarling alcoholics that no-one liked and 'happy' alcoholics who were the life and soul of the party. But they both have the same problem, regardless of their drunken mindset.

And I agree totally with Leslie - to fail is human, but that which doesn't kill us only makes us stronger - it will prepare you so that you don't fail a second time.

5:35 AM  
Blogger Bonita said...

Foley also talked about molestation, as well as alcoholism. I thought he was just grasping at straws. Deep down, should he get that far, he might find moral turpidude, maybe even boredom, as factors. But, our culture seems to let alcoholism take the rap, as if that excuses something.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Moof said...

That's the bottom line, Ian ... taking responsibility for our actions - whatever they may be.

How convenient to have alcohol to fall back on when we want to abuse another person's rights ... as if it's a license to forget we're human.

These "no fault" days of "instant gratification" when being in an altered state of mind can act as a legal defense ...

... Ian, since things don't usually get better, where to from here?

9:22 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home