Monday, October 09, 2006

Thankful for many things in this life

Since it is (Canadian) Thanksgiving, I guess it behoves me to get into the spirit of the holiday and take a serious (or frivolous) look at the things I am thankful for in this life. Here goes:

That I have the ability to live small (ish) – I otherwise call this the garbage disposal syndrome. When we moved into our house it had a built-in garbage disposal. Why would somebody actually buy such a thing? I think I’ve maybe used it twice. It’s environmentally unsound, and mainly sort of dumb. Otherwise, I used to be a materialist. I used to be a merchant’s dream. I found profligate spending was giving me little satisfaction. A few years ago I stopped. I was satisfied with what I have. When I buy something new now it’s because the old one has irreparably broken. It’s quite liberating. Also, I don’t want a really big house, or a really expensive car. Of course, if I were disgustingly rich I might think otherwise.


That I don’t live in Afghanistan – Pakistan, Kazakhstan, Beluchistan, Kurdistan or any other ‘stan’ place.

That my wife really ‘likes’ me – Oh, we have all the other feelings in place, too, but I cherish the fact she really likes me, and I really like her. My first wife and I, good soul that she is, were kind of like two peas in separate pods. My second wife I lusted after profoundly, and sometimes I liked her, and many times I didn’t, and those feelings were mutual. Now I have all the other features, as well as a mutual liking. By God, I feel like Sally Field in that blessing.

I’m not afraid to ask for help in any aspect of my life – and I will gladly return the favor to somebody else.

I think my health is OK

I have a nice house in a nice neighborhood

I have developed a modicum of tolerance – I am more accepting than once I was, though I probably have a long way to go.

I harbor untoward thoughts about Kathryn Erbe – Who plays Det. Eames on L&O CI. I’m happy that I don’t harbor untoward thoughts about the assorted Jennifers and Jessicas that abound and all look the same and of whom I basically have no idea why anybody cares about them.

The TV series Lost – Like Twin Peaks, but is actually holding together. I like a drama that suggests its viewers might have a modicum of intelligence and like to speculate. And then, of course, there is Evangeline Lilly playing the wicked ‘Kate’.

I have seen a few chunks of the world – and have never regretted a single cent I’ve spent in travel. This has been a truly worthwhile depletion of what limited resources I might have.

That I can write – I don’t know how well I can write, but I was given a certain skill that was sufficient to have earned me a living for the past nearly 30 years. I also am grateful for the fact I can paint a bit.

That I have been multi-faceted – Sometimes in spite of myself I have done a few things in life. I have been a millhand, a teacher, a reporter, a columnist, an editor, and an addictions counsellor. Maybe I’m just restless. But, perhaps I’m thankful for that.

That I’ve seen the South Pacific – I always had romantic fantasies about what that would be like. Then, in 2001, I actually went. Once you’ve seen your first huge land-crab you know you’ll be hooked. It was everything I wanted it to be.

That I lost over 30 pounds a few years ago – And kept it off.

That I’ve had (and have) some top-quality friends.

That I’ve only once been called “asshole” to my face – and that was by an ex-wife. Does that count? Also, I probably deserved the epithet.

That I once lived in a small village in England for a year.

That in my adult life I have never once had a physical fight.

I have never had my face slapped by a female – Even when I probably deserved it.

Coming to the Woody Allen realization – That sex ‘is’ dirty, but only if you’re doing it right.

There are countless other things for which I am grateful and filled with thankfulness, but the foregoing were the ones that came to mind today. There are, of course, other things for which I am not grateful, but that is outside the purview of this offering.

Happy Thanksgiving to my Canadian friends, and Happy Thanksgiving to my American friends when that time comes.

6 Comments:

Blogger Leslie: said...

hi ian - i've had a very busy few days lately. first my computer crashed so i was madly dashing to find a new one (ended up with a laptop). anyhooooo re your post, i am so thankful that i have the resources to be able to buy a new computer. that says a lot, i think. hope you're having a wonderful thanksgiving weekend.

5:08 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

And I am thankful for you, Ian. You're a great writer and I'm super glad you're around in the blogosphere.

I also couldn't agree more with you about the travel.

:)
AM

6:18 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Wishing you a blessed Thanksgiving!

6:36 PM  
Blogger Moof said...

Happy Thanksgiving, Ian!

I loved this post! It gave me a very graphic picture of you as a person. Thank you for sharing yourself with us!

10:44 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Dear Leslie: Yes, when I had to do the same thing earlier in the year it was nice to be able to make the purchase. Nice to see you again.

Dear Aliemalie: Aww, you say the nicest darn things. I appreciate it.

Dear Dr. Deborah: Always a special treat to have you come to call. And thank you for your wishes.

Dear Moof: Welcome back, Missed you, and thank you for your kind thoughts. As Popeye says: I yam what I yam.

10:56 AM  
Blogger djn said...

Ian, aliemalie took the words right out of my mouth. I'm thankful for you too!! You are someone I always look forward to reading about. Thanks for all your superbly written nuggets of yourself.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home