Friday, September 29, 2006

I yam what I yam

Ah -- the old Proust Questionnaire. This has been running on the back page of Vanity Fair Magazine for a number of years, and it is also a favorite of bloggers all over. So, I thought today might be my turn. By tomorrow, of course, my responses might be different. And, while I am not about to tag anybody with this, I would love to hear some of the answers of others out there.

Part I

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Isolation

Where would you like to live? Either where I am living now, or on the island Kauai in the Hawaiian Islands

What is your idea of earthly happiness? Being able to express myself at all levels of my being

To what faults do you feel most indulgent? In myself, sloth. In others irreverence

Who are your favorite heroes of fiction? Thomas More in Robert Bolt's A Man For All Seasons; Huckleberry Finn

Who are your favorite characters in history? Winston Churchill; Governor Huey Long of Louisiana (I didn't say I had to like the person)

Who are your favorite heroines in real life? Queen Boudicca of the Icenii of ancient Britain who fought the Roman Legions and nearly beat them; Burmese patriot and ongoing martyr Aung San Suu Kyi

Who are your favorite heroines of fiction? Nancy in Dickens' Oliver Twist; Ma Joad in Steinbeck's Grapes of Wrath

Your favorite painter? Turner of the English School; Edward Hopper, especially Nighthawks and Summertime 1943. The woman pictured looks like my mother did when I was a little boy

Your favorite musician? Classical: Jacqueline duPre; Jazz: Chet Baker; Rock/Pop: Layla will redeem Eric Clapton all transgressions, including stealing George Harrison's wife (who is the subject of Layla)

The quality you most admire in a man? Courage

The quality you most admire in a woman? Tenacity

Your favorite virtue? Honesty. I haven't always been successful in that regard, and maybe that is why it's my favorite virtue

Your favorite occupation? What I am finally privileged enough to do right now, and that is to write and be able to make a (pathetic as it might be) sort of living from it

Who would you have liked to be? The person I am; warts and all. I can't conceive what it would be like to be another, so I won't try

Part II

Your most marked characteristic? Sense of humor

The quality you most like in a man? Candor

The quality you most like in a woman? Intelligent sexuality

What do you most value in your friends? Loyalty

What is your principal defect? Today: procrastination; In the past: always looking for greener pastures

What is your favorite occupation? Writing and traveling. I regard travel as an occupation because I gain much inspiration from it

What is your dream of happiness? Good health combined with longevity and virility

What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes? To live in isolated poverty

What would you like to be? The author of an immensely successful and lucrative book

In what country would you like to live? Canada works fine for me in the warm season, but I could easily be a Snowbird when it's chilly and damp

What is your favorite color? Blue

What is your favorite flower? Roses and plumeria (frangipani) blossoms

What is your favorite bird? The homely old American Robin

Who are your favorite prose writers? Shakespeare; Twain; Orwell

Who are your favorite poets? Philip Larkin; Al Purdy

What are your favorite names? I like basic, old fashioned Tom, Dick and Harry names, and it would probably be purdent to suggest that 'Wendy' is my favorite female name. But, you know, I have always had a soft-spot for the name 'Jane'. Must be because of my first grade reader

What is it you most dislike? Bigotry

What historical figures do you most despise? Hitler; Stalin; bin Laden; Pol Pot; and the guy who shot Anwar Sadat. Oh, this list could go on and on, so I shall refrain

What event in military history do you most admire? The Battle of Britain; the Russian victory at Stalingrad

What reform do you most admire? The separation of church and state

What natural gift would you most like to possess? Wisdom

How would you like to die? In my own bed at an advanced age, painlessly and peacefully with no regrets

What is your present state of mind? Apprehensive

What is your motto? Carpe diem

*So that's me in a Proustian nutshell. How about you?

6 Comments:

Blogger djn said...

Wow, Ian. Great answers! I loved it.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

I am going to think about these questions and post an answer over the weekend. Queen Boudicca - good answer! Me too!

Take care :-)

8:51 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Hurrah for Queen Boudica!

12:59 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

hehe Ian. i have had this questionnaire sitting on my blog - unanswered - for months. i'd love to do it and this may just spur me on. i love reading all the answers in the back of my Vanity Fair when it comes every month.

:)
AM

8:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ian,

Here's my take on the world...

Part I

What do you regard as the lowest depth of misery? Rejection

Where would you like to live? Anywhere that I can feel at home and where I have people around me that provide a sense of community.

What is your idea of earthly happiness? Freedom to do what I want, when I want to do it.

To what faults do you feel most indulgent? Judgment and bluntness

Who are your favorite heroes of fiction? Sherlock Holmes, Huckleberry Finn,

Who are your favorite characters in history? Romeo Dallaire, Albert Einstein, Mark Twain (Samuel L. Clemens), Anne Boleyn

Who are your favorite heroines in real life? Nellie McClung, Madeleine Albright, Milly Early, Margaret Thatcher, Betty Ford

Who are your favorite heroines of fiction? Moll Flanders, Tess Durbeyfield, Trixie Beldon

Your favorite painter? Realists like Andrew Wyeth; Claude

Your favorite musician? Eric Clapton, Jann Arden, Billie Holiday, Patsy Cline, Van Morrison, and so many more. ….

The quality you most admire in a man? Honesty

The quality you most admire in a woman? Courage

Your favorite virtue? Honesty and forthrightness

Your favorite occupation? Business management and commercial cooking

Who would you have liked to be? I like who I am but I would have liked to have been instilled with more self-confident. It’s difficult to build this at a later stage in your life.

Part II

Your most marked characteristic? Forthrightness

The quality you most like in a man? Honesty and good character

The quality you most like in a woman? Courage and good character

What do you most value in your friends? Tolerance

What is your principal defect? Holding grudges and being too quick to judge

What is your favorite occupation? See above.

What is your dream of happiness? Long life, good health, freedom and contentment

What to your mind would be the greatest of misfortunes? Be struck with a debilitating disease.

What would you like to be?
Work: An accomplished international business consultant
Personal: Self-confident and wise

In what country would you like to live? Canada is pretty good but I could live any place that is not overly dangerous and where I could feel accepted and part of the community.

What is your favorite color? Aqua

What is your favorite flower? Begonia

What is your favorite bird? Flicker (reminds me of my childhood every time I hear one)

Who are your favorite prose writers? Sir Arthur Conan Doyle; John Irving; Mark Twain; D.H. Lawrence; Margaret Laurence

Who are your favorite poets? Edgar Allan Poe; Walt Whitman

What are your favorite names? Names that suit a person

What is it you most dislike? Bigotry and dishonesty

What historical figures do you most despise? Hitler; Osama bin Laden

What event in military history do you most admire? The courage of Romeo Dallaire in Rwanda

What reform do you most admire? Women’s vote

What natural gift would you most like to possess? Wisdom and discernment

How would you like to die? In a flash while doing something I love
What is your present state of mind? Apprehensive

What is your motto? Everything in mediocre (there’s a story here)

5:07 PM  
Blogger Smalltown RN said...

Hey Ian....

Found your blog via Tia's blog.....we are almost neighbours. I live in Qualicum Bay and work in Comox.

Really enjoyed reading your blog. Your answers were very inspiring and in some cases educational.

Hope you are having a fantastic day.

Cheers!!!

12:57 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home