Sunday, September 17, 2006

Hey, kids, it's a cruel and competitive world out there



Somehow I can’t imagine my parents having complained about me being burdened with an excess of homework. It wouldn’t have made much difference, anyway, since my general attitude about homework throughout my schooldays was to avoid it by various means. My feeling was: If teachers can’t get their job done during the day, why should I be penalized?Generally my approach worked – except at report card time. But, even then it worked to a degree since, even with an utter disregard for anything I was called upon to do after hours, I still graduated. Went through university and, get this, even became a teacher. Somehow there was a vindication in all of that, or else it shows that God has a great sense of irony.

Anyway, I have been reading accounts lately of how parents throughout North America are griping about the amount of homework being dumped on Jason and Tabitha. Seems like the kids have no free time whatsoever, and that family life is suffering as a result. Looking at the kids who are hanging out at the park at 10 p.m. on a school night, I find such assertions amazing. I also find amazing, considering those aforementioned kids in the park, that there are still families that have such a thing as a “family life.”

But, I do know that my stepdaughter (an A average student) was perpetually griping about the amount of homework she was forced to do (between phone calls, and accompanied by music at full volume) and how unfair the teachers were in assigning so much. I thought, my God, if she feels that way, how must the dumb kids feel? In all honesty, she did bring a lot of stuff home in a pack larger than the average marine carries at bivouac time. And it was all school-related stuff. And indeed she did work hard enough to maintain a superlative grade point average.

Her argument was always that a history teacher (who had assigned 90 pages of reading as well as an essay) didn’t seem to appreciate that the math teacher had assigned 38 complex calculus problems, and the English teacher had assigned the complete reading of Pride and Prejudice and had called for an essay on social rituals among the upper classes in the early 19th century, never seemed to get together with one another to sort out just how they expected any given kid to get the work done.

Well, maybe she had a point. But, at the same time, she made it through, suffered from no nervous breakdowns and generally seemed to be a pretty well-adjusted kid, her ‘onerous tasks’ notwithstanding. She laughed, she went to parties, to movies, hung out with her friends, and was reasonably civil to her mother and me. At least, as civil as a 15-year-old girl will deign to be with an elder. So, frankly, I didn’t see her homework burden as that great a problem.

And maybe she secretly followed my slacker mantra from schooldays, which was to do ‘just enough’ to be able to sound a bit authoritative in class the next day; do written assignments; and pretend you know how to speed read. I will confess that it wasn’t until my university years that I added one more item to my slacker mantra – which by that time was almost a manifesto – and that was to learn to bullshit really well. It always works, especially if you drop the name of an instructor or professor as a person of authority on the subject in question.

As for the parents who gripe about the kids having too much homework, they might take some solace in that at least they know where their kids are on any given evening.

On the other hand, I suspect the complaints emanate from the fact that parents are being called upon to help with that homework. That tends to violate their personal slacker manifesto, which calls for drink a beer, eat dinner, and nod in front of the TV until bed. That’s the sort of quality time many of us are unprepared to forego.

6 Comments:

Blogger heiresschild said...

great topics on some of the blogs today. when my daughter was in high school, she had soooooo much homework, i would get angry. she barely had time to do anything else. i remember she would use cliff notes to help her out sometimes. every now and then, she had no homework. she was allowed to come home free-handed and not study for that time unlike me when i was growing up. even when i didn't have homework, i had to bring home a book to study. yeah, like i did!

i'm back in school now, finishing up a degree--7 classes left, by the way. hurray! each professor gives homework and assigns papers like they're the only professor i have. i was an honor roll student all thru school growing up, and still am. being really organized, focused, and determined to do well helps in getting the work done.

so do i think children today have too much homework? yes i do. maybe too much is going on in the classroom to finish up there, i don't know. i just think it's too much homework.

pennys from heaven has a hot (ouch, sizzling!) topic going on on her blog too.

sylvia

sun, sept 17, 2006

5:24 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I think that homework is essential for many reasons. It bolsters the daily schoolwork, and enables parent and child to bond in ways that can enahnce the love of learning.

Unfortunately, many parents don't see homework as an opportunity to instill the love of learning.

Instead, there seems to be a shared discontent and frustration between parent and child to have to spend time doing homework.

Great post, Ian.

7:43 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

yep yep, Ian. the kids nowadays seem to only be wired to know how to complain about anything and everything - especially homework. it boggles my mind that even 7 years ago i was getting more homework than the kids nowadays yet i hear more belly aching about it now than i did back then.

not only this, but then they get to university and they don't know how to write a decent paper or they have to take remedial math because they don't know basic algebra. very sad.

just this past week i was watching some kids - two boys, there's a post on my blog - where the older boy decided to thrown a tantrum about the fact that he had to write out 20 spelling words three times each, look up and write out the definition and then use the word in a sentence. how hard could it be? and he had almost nothing in addition to this homework. the next evening he shut up about it when he was introduced to another boy i reguarly tutor who had about 3 hours of homework compared to his 30 minutes.

you know, i would never actually advocate the true physical action of what i'm going to say next, but it seems that some of these kids need a swift kick in the ass. and their parents too. god, the extracurricular activities they sign some of their munchkins up for ... three sports teams, piano AND guitar. c'mon. kids DO need that time to screw around in the park - but they also need to take some responsibility.

funny about god and irony though ... whoever's out there has a fantastic sense of humour.

:)
AM

7:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My kids had lots of homework ... we homeschooled!

They also didn't get the same holidays as the other kids ...

Life was tough.

My youngest just got his degree in Molecular Biology two weeks ago. All of that "homework" must have been worth something ... ;o)

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My DIL was upset last summer, when my second grader granddaughter brought home over 300 pages of work to be done over the summer. It was split between math problems and reading comprehension.

It was actually a review, to better prepare her for third grade. A way, I guess, to not lose everything she had just learned.

I said.."Who does it get turned in to when she goes back to school? Is it the second grade teacher or the third grade teacher who gets it?" I was confused about it. It would not get turned in at all. It was just to keep her up on things during her down time. I kind of liked the idea. SO DID GRANDDAUGHTER.

I took the papers to my house becasue MOM was not going to have any part of them. That was unusual, because my DIL is very involved with the kids and their school work. For her, this was just crossing a line. It was summer and that meant time to play and forget about school.

When graddaughter came to my house on the weekends, or whenever, she always wanted to work on her papers.

It was certainly a better option than playing "barbie", on the computer for hours at a time.

She completed about 2/3 of those papers, just in the time she was here, at my house. I really think it helped her to stay focused.

3:45 PM  
Blogger djn said...

I like homework. My daughters, 13 & 11, have at least 1 1/2 hours a night but that includes reading & practicing their instruments, mandatory in our house. Our boys, 8 & 7, have less than an hour (including 30 minutes of reading) of homework. I like them to have something to work on at home if for no other reason, I know what they're learning. :)

10:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home