Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Conservatives too are capable of romance


Pete and Condi, sittin’ in a tree.
K-I-S-S-I-N-G …….


I don’t know about you, but I am a sucker for romance. I love hearts, and flowers and sweet kisses, and all the little flutterings that go on with a couple in the throes of a delicious new love. Yep, give me a happy ending every time.

So, I guess you know that the international community is all abuzz about Condi and Pete involved in a ‘diplomatic alliance’ that just darn well might be even more ‘diplomatic’ than any of us realize.

American Secretary of State, Condoleezza Rice, normally so serious, even dour as she goes about her demanding task of doing George W’s damage control, among other things, seems to be all smiles today. Especially all smiles when she is in the company of her newfound ‘friend’, Canadian Foreign Affairs Minister Peter MacKay.

Don’t tell me there isn’t something more than just diplomatic courtesies happening. I mean, Ms. Rice made a special trip to Nova Scotia, on 9/11 yet, to offer up her thanks for Canada’s assistance on that ghastly day five years ago. OK, fair enough, those would be the diplomatic duties. But then, get this, she made an ‘overnighter’ to Pete’s home riding of Pictou, NS. No, I am not suggesting anything untoward happened in that 24-hours, but usually a girl doesn’t go home to meet the folks unless she feels a bit of affection for the boy.

And, well, as the old song by Mickey and Sylvia goes, ‘Love is Strange:’

Love, love is strange
Lot of people take it for a game
Once you get it You'll never wanna quit (no, no)
After you've had it (yeah, yeah) You're in an awful fix
Many people Don't understand (no, no)
They think loving (yeah, yeah) Is money in the hand
Your sweet loving Is better than a kiss
When you leave me Sweet kisses I miss

In fact, I could see Condi and Pete doing an updated version of the ditty, since they are both pretty decent musicians in their own right. That would be real cute. Two archly conservative politicos in sweet and soulful harmony. I love it.

Then of course, Pete is the guy who was unceremoniously dumped by moderately pretty, excruciatingly rich, and very much a legend-in-her-own-mind, Belinda Stronach a few years ago, when she decided her bread might be more nicely buttered if she allied herself with another political party, and jilted Pete. It wasn’t. His party won. And now Pete is keeping company with a genuinely powerful woman, not just a ‘wannabe’.

Love is indeed strange. So can political bedfellows be. Oh, don’t take that ‘bedfellows’ comment outside of its metaphorical sense – unless you want to. I can’t stop those tongues a-waggin’. And, as a guy who once caused tongues in this smaller community to wag a few years ago, I personally know this can be heady stuff.

But, I think Pete and Condi should just play this one through. A little levity, not to mention romance, is always a nice thing in a troubled world.

10 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

haha. i just posted something about that too.

he's a total hottie. condi now, not so much.

8:26 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

There have been rumors lately that Ms. Rice "plays for the other team." Let's hope this new romance isn't just spin control.

Who knows, in spite of the fact that Condi is a conservative, she might actually be a great broad. ;-)

9:57 AM  
Blogger djn said...

You are cracking me up... Well, let's hope there's some lovin' going on!

1:03 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Oh my....

;)

1:53 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

oh god.... the image, presently seared onto my cerebral membrane..... thanks a lot, Ian!

4:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Interesting political (and otherwise) alliance! Ian ... it wouldn't hurt my feelings at all if the two of them were singing in harmony behind closed doors ...

... I just hope that the world relates to it kindly.

Gee ... that's a lot to ask for today, isn't it ... ?

*sigh*

Anyway - I have a lot of respect for Ms. Rice ... she's got a tremendous amount of guts.

Great post Ian! If I'm not careful, you're going to start me watching Fox News all over again ... *blink!*

6:41 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Eeeeeewwww! That's almost as bad as suggesting that my parents may have...you know...

:-)
Wendy

9:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, I think they look handsome together. Like Moof, I have alot of respect for Condi Rice.

I hope they had a good time during that 24 hrs.

I'm watching her on Fox right now. she looks "tired"...Big circles under her eyes. By Golly, I think you've got it all figured out.

9:44 PM  
Blogger rama said...

This is the first I'm hearing about this! Good luck to the guy!!! rama

8:40 AM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

If they are a couple, I wish them the best. They look great together, even if it is on official business.

7:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home