Thursday, April 02, 2009

So, one April day we went and tied the knot

When Wendy and I decided, after some deliberation -- after quite a lot of deliberation, in fact – that it would be pleasing at many levels to set up housekeeping under the same roof, and to share bed and board, we neither was prepared to couch any discussion of formalized matrimony.

That is, we didn’t want to get hitched – either then or at any point in the foreseeable future.

We had both been down that perilous matrimonial path before and we knew it was dotted with pitfalls and, at the outset at least, unforeseen hurdles that can ultimately prove insurmountable.

Ironically, when we had started dating, a few months prior to the time we decided to shack up, we had come into the fledgling relationship with a number of criteria concerning what we would be looking for, and what would not be acceptable by the same token. To our astonishment we found that our personal criteria were virtually the same.

Initially I was wary about even living together. I had a nice condo apartment, and Wendy had a very appealing townhouse. We overnighted on a fairly regular basis before we shared digs – OK, Ma, I confess, I was intimate with this lady – and that was working out OK. But, we finally decided to take the plunge and to not have to drive across town to see each other.

But marriage? Marriage was a big thing and we were shy about it. My second marriage was a rebound made in hell, for both my ex and myself. I’ll take full culpability for my role in the rapid break-up that followed. Whether she acknowledges her role would be for her to decide, and I wouldn’t dream of going there. As for Wendy’s matrimonial experience, I won’t go there either. That’s hers and not for me to elaborate upon.

We did come to know during our first few months together that we were pretty stable people and virtually no glitches manifested themselves. We’d learned from our bad experiences and we really were doing it differently this time. And, by God, it was working. We realized we were mighty happy together and adored each other’s company.

As time passed we realized instinctively that we were compatible at virtually ‘all’ levels, the fun ones and the serious ones. I know for me that my first marriage, while based on what I thought I knew about love – and I didn’t know a great deal about it at the time; nobody in their early 20s does, despite how much they might protest to the contrary – and also by the conventions of the day. The ‘expectations’ of the day, if you will, was ultimately doomed to fail.


My second was an emotional rebound and was hugely influenced by sheer animal lust. Great fun with a person who seemed to be a delight to be with. It would have been a fantastic affaire de coeur, but nothing more than that.

This one was different and very much better. And we just came to a mutual understanding that we were prepared to give this thing another shot. We also vowed that this one would be a keeper. This one would be the one we should have had all along. We also felt that the level of commitment demanded by marriage would cement it all in place.

So, we did it. We exchanged vows. Vows uttered with the utmost of sincerity.

That was 10 years ago this month.

And I still wouldn’t change a thing.

Rah for us!



Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

Yay for you indeed.

Mr. Jazz and I have been together 21 years and still going strong.

When you got the right one you got to hold on tight.

5:47 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Would it be redundant to wish you a happy anniversary?

Perhaps sometimes it takes some experiences to knock the corners off, so when a good situation comes along one will recognize it and be better prepared to handle it.

Dang, that was a long sentence.

8:34 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Good job! Congrats and may you both continue in your current happiness. I've noticed in you writings you still seem to have some issues with your first two marriages. I don't with mine. Sometimes I actually think, "Who was that?" or "What was that?" It's just all part of the journey.

11:49 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Well congratulations!
Love Jazz's comment about holding on tight - amen!

7:25 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Rah for you!

7:43 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Happy HAPPY anniversary.

Isn't it wonderful when you can truly find a mate?

8:28 AM  
Blogger Pearl said...

Yay for you is right!

I was 41 the first time (and so far, only) time I married. I still wonder, occasionally, if it would've been just as good to shack up.
:-)
Pearl

10:27 AM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ah, Ian you are a secret candy- floss-hearted romantic. The curmudgeon is such a pose. Revel in your happiness with your beloved, it is a wonderous place. Congratulations.
V.

12:14 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

Happy Anniversary to you both. We were shacked up for 7 years before we took the matrimonial plunge. Not a bad thing, we've been together 25 years...ciao

7:30 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Happy Anniversary to you Ian and Wendy of course.

I am glad that it worked out well for you both despite initial reservations and hope there will be many more years of happiness for you both.

12:25 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Happy Anniversary to both of you.

2:15 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Congratulations, kids. For most people, including and especially me, it takes some trial and error to get it right.

Similar values and a shared sense of humor will get you through nearly anything. When you're with the right person, it's like the Red Sea parting -- everything is easy and falls into place exactly as it should.

Sending warm wishes for continued happiness over the next ten years, and onward.

9:51 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home