Friday, March 20, 2009

A fullsome fifty favorite things (not that movie, by the way)

The world has been filled with an unnecessary amount of doom-and-gloom of late and I, like many others do, tend to lose heart just a little bit if I let myself.

But, it’s all in the state of mind and if we permit negativity to prevail, then we reap negativity. The media fills its pages and screens with portents of economic collapse and then pundits wonder why in the hell consumers aren’t buying. That’s because they are lying in wet panties under their beds awaiting the next blow to any sense of well-being.

Bearing that in mind, I have decided to accentuate the positive by listing 50 things that either make, or have made, my life just a little more worth living. Things, in no order whatsoever, that give me sufficient hope to want to see what tomorrow may bring. The choices range from the ridiculously simple to the sublime, but they all work for me.

What ones work for you? I would love to see your lists.

1. Springtime (since it’s the first day of spring, even if it doesn’t feel like it)
2. Seafood
3. Pancakes
4. The London Underground
5. Mussels in Brussels
6. Browsing for gifts in lingerie stores
7. Miss Peggy Lee singing Manana
8. A morning shower rainbow off Na Pali, Kauai
9. The view from my living room window of the Comox Glacier
10. Sex
11. Taking the T-roof panels off my car for the first time each spring
12. Looking at the tiny sneer on the rosebud mouth of Deborah Harry
13. Gerry Rafferty’s Baker Street
14. Bogey’s magnificence in the Caine Mutiny
15. First robins of spring
16. The trumpeter swans of the Comox Valley
17. King-size beds
18. Joshua Tree National Park
19. Killarney, Ireland
20. Good conversation
21. Good strong hugs
22. Cheek kisses (giving or receiving)
23. Sexually attractive older women
24. The throb of a marine diesel on a tugboat
25. The underappreciated comic genius of poor, sad Tony Hancock
26. Nat King Cole singing Nature Boy
27. Close dancing at a high school prom to Misty
28. Don Knotts in Andy Griffith
29, Take a Walk on the Wild Side by the Velvet Underground
30. Sending off an invoice for a well-earned large sum
31. The fragrance of pillow cases that have been dried outdoors
32. Green sea turtles
33. The bum from behind of a Rarotongan woman on a moped
34. Chuck Berry’s ‘duck-walk’
35. French kissing
36. Nude swimming
37. A book or film that lives up to all expectations
38. Reading at bedtime
39. Drinking café au lait at an outdoor table anywhere in France
40. Pastries from the Bon Ton in Vancouver
41. Stanley Park
42. Lee Remick in Anatomy of a Murder
43. Sunsets and sunrises
44. Tropical snorkelling
45. Coconut palms
46.The laughter of tiny children
47. The society of dogs
48. Fireplaces and wood stoves, beachfires and campfires
49. Crème brulee
50. Afternoon naps

I realized that I could have found 50 more, so maybe the world’s not such a bad place after all. If the powers are willing, I think I’ll stick around for a while. Give this a shot if you are so inclined. It’ll boost your spirits.

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

6. Browsing for gifts in lingerie stores

Lingerie stores are probably among my 10 least favourite places in the world. I guess it's all in the perception.

I think I will do this, though no lingerie stores will make the list.

12:00 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Jazz is right, only men really enjoy lingerie stores.
This was a good idea Ian, I may give it a try.
V.

6:54 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I like this list. It makes me smile. :-)

12:50 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Some very interesting things here on your list. :)

Some make me smile and some make me cringe. Funny thing about that! LOL


~*

7:30 AM  
Blogger Ruslan said...

Great list. I fully agree with the things I know. For the rest - I trust you.

When reading through the list though one realises that there is nothing in it that is linked with consumption. Of course, that's great news for all of us but it's bad news for the economy.

7:36 AM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

what a wonderful list! I didn't know you were a fan of Don Knotts. Me too! Loved him in the Ghost and Mr. Chicken. I will have to make a list too...you are so right that a bit of positive thinking can only help.

7:46 AM  
Blogger Elizabeth said...

Much too tired to take you up on the challenge but I enjoyed your list very much!

11:26 AM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

Great list Ian. I may have to give this a try sometime.

BTW, "...lying in wet panties under their beds..." was very funny. Thanks for the laugh.

2:38 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Sexually attractive older women? How old are we talking about?

Bogie was wonderful in everything, and Nat King Cole never sang a wrong note.

Thanks for sharing this wonderful list!

7:47 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

cool stuff, ian :)

9:58 PM  
Blogger lady macleod said...

Brilliant! Really my love, must move sex higher on the list - or is that just me? :-)
And most excellent timing. when we are feeling our worst, we should make the list of that for which we are grateful.
My bottom line is always, "no one is dead", that is the only one I can't fix, every single other thing can get better.
A wonderful spring, and the fact that you are in my Universe makes it all the better - I'll put that on MY list.

8:46 AM  
Blogger French Fancy... said...

You'd be in heaven here with your love of 22. We do two on each cheek.

mwah mwah mwah mwah

8:50 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I don't have the energy to write up a list, but much of my blog is dedicated to what I love about life. There's lots of good to be had.

4:55 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Ahhhhhh, Baker Street. Thanks for putting that song in my head.

12:27 AM  
Blogger SSQuo said...

This is so lovely and I applaud you for actually doing it. I'm all about negativity reaps more negativity. I dont do lists often, but Im soo tempted to give this one a shot. :)

6:55 AM  
Blogger Wendy said...

I love "happy lists"!!

I think people would find it a lot easier to make their lists if they would watch less news. :)

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home