Wednesday, March 18, 2009

By golly, I'm a virtual paragon of healthy living

When I was in school it was relatively common practice for teachers with shoddy mastery of disciplinary fairness to punish the entire class for the misbehavior of one knucklehead. I’d like to think that no longer goes on, but I’m sure it still does.

I guess there is some merit in invoking blanket disciplinary decrees for the sake of a few miscreants, though it grates on me. Ninety percent of us would never dream of screaming through a school zone at 80 mph (273 kmh in metric, I think), but for the 10 percent of morons who would, there must be school zone laws and speed-traps. Other laws and restrictions work in the same way. Rules are in place because of society’s morons and felons. I guess we have to live with it, but it pisses me off.

A year ago I’m standing at an elevator in the Victoria apartment Wendy and I lived in part-time for a couple of years. An elderly lady is standing beside me and she is reading a notice on the wall. It is yet another restriction in block. Another restriction posted by the new and controlling building manager. The lady sniffs in indignation when she finishes reading: “I hate being scolded,” she says.

I too hate being scolded. So, as kind of a postscript to my most recent blog I have to say that I took the matter of the imposition of draconian laws governing trans-fats as a case of official scolding. I added later in my comments section that I was being tongue-in-cheek about it all. I was doing so because, let’s face it, any of us with a lick of common sense will try to live as healthfully as possible, and we don’t need some bozo in a legislative office to tell us how we ‘must’ live our lives. At least 'I' don't think we do. Probably I'm wrong.

So, you read it here first: I do eat my veggies and my fruit. We try to have fish at least once a week (though now they tell us fish isn't all that good, and here I've wasted decent meals by eating $#@% fish), and a meal without meat does not terrify me. I have good vegetarian friends at whose homes I have pleasingly dined. I don’t choose to embrace their lifestyle, but I applaud them if it works for them. Raw food diet? Forget it. I happen to 'like' food and regard it as more than just mere sustenance. That's on a par with suggesting (as some do, the idiots) that sex is just for procreation.

I also mentioned that while I get significantly irritated by self-righteous anti-smoking crusaders, I am in full approval of restrictions on the places in which one can indulge an unhealthy habit. I think smoking restrictions became such a pain in thee ass that many people chose to give up the fight and reached for the Nicoderm patches in lieu. Now if the crusaders would just shut up, then I would be happier.

Otherwise, I walk when I can avoid driving, I recycle, I drive an unthirsty car, and I think the level of public transit in North America is appallingly lacking when compared with Europe. And, I absolutely no longer use plastic shopping bags.

If such sterling behavior doesn't get me into Heaven, I have no idea what will.

But, I adamantly hold to the belief that people who try to control the behavior of others are not going to get into any Heaven I subscribe to.



Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Deb said...

The smoking ban should have been put into place a long time ago because it's different than drinking - you don't get second hand alcohol from standing near a drunk. But, as far as "being green"---I recycle and do my part, however I do own a THIRSTY SUV that I need in order to visit my parents in the winter because of their mile high road that's never paved. I also carry a lot of equipment in the back at times + vacation a lot by driving. But yeah the amt of $ in case can be extreme. I tried using burlap bags, but they're way too small for my likings... I wanna save the earth, but I have my limits, yet contribute!

10:55 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Oh, I wanted to write about smoking but forgot about it.

12:04 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The problem, as I see it, is that if most people had "a lick of sense" we wouldn't have so many deaths from lung cancer, such a high rate of obesity-linked diseases, such a ridiculous over-use of our limited fossil fuel reserves, and on and on and one. You just can't rely on people being either sensible or responsible. And since those behaviors do affect you through higher health care costs and global warming, there have to be rules and laws. I don't like being scolded either, but I don't take it as a scolding when I know I'm already doing the sane thing. I assume it is aimed at the goombahs of the world.

12:49 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Here's to healthy living. (giggle)

1:13 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

How dare you show a sense of BALANCE, Ian! :) My own credo re. food: the less proecessed the better. Cheaper, too. And that applies to *all* the food groups.

3:36 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Oh just pass me the poutine. And the salt. Then I'll light up in the car with my toddlers onboard while roaring through a school zone in my Hummer.
Ian, I hear you, but there are just too many idiot goombahs out there. So if I have to take the legislated scolding that is aimed at them, so be it.
V.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Well obviously you like sex for other reasons than procreation. You won't be allowed into catholic heaven at any rate.

And re scolding: What really really drives me up the wall is when a 20 year old dental hygenist starts scolding me about flossing. I'm not a maniac about it though I do floss regularly. I have all my teeth and they're in real good shape so SHUT THE HELL UP before I have to slap you! I'm way to old to be preached at by a 20 year old.

11:52 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

My friends sometimes get a little disgusted with my 'healthy choices'. I just dont like sweets or fatty foods. I can't say I am any more healthy than they are, I just go with what I like.

12:16 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home