Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Humor in a Jugular Vein, indeed


Resentments over past losses are a magnificent waste of time. The time wasting aspect arises from the fact we can’t do anything about the loss, since it is in the past. The magnificence stems from the fact that if we let the resentments have their sway they can become so powerful that that will dominate our lives. How stupid is that?

So, my resentments over marriages and relationships lost, as well as having been saddled with amazingly unfeeling parents have, for the most part, in my moments of sanity, put on a back burner to maybe never go away, but at least to simmer gently.

But, there is one resentment I have that thoroughly pisses me off to this day. Pisses me off because if history had altered I might be a relatively rich man today. “Thanks, Mom,” he said in a voice dripping with sarcasm.
You see, when I was about 14 my mother strongly suggested I should burn all my old comic books. I had outgrown them, she adjured, they were taking up space, and so they must go on a bonfire. I balked, but then foolishly thought she was maybe right. I would soon be ready to enter man’s estate, and comic books just wouldn’t fit into a mix that would shortly include (no doubt) the New Yorker, Atlantic and Harpers. And, I must be candid, the undraped tits in Playboy appealed just a bit more than the shenanigans of Little Lulu and Tubby.

So, in total at that time I had over 200 comic books. And they ‘all’ went into the conflagration. (sob!) Have you seen what even single issues of those things are worth today if they’re in good condition? The collection probably would have bought me a condo in Dubai.

For some reason, however, three tomes escaped the conflagration. One is a Walt Disney Comics and Stories from 1953, another is a Bugs Bunny from 1955 and the third, and most prized of all, is a Mad Magazine from September 1956. The Mad is the most prized of all. I grant it is in ratty condition, but it’s all there, and it is only the third magazine-format Mad to be published. Therein in lies a bit of the crux of my creative life as it has unfolded.

One day, a couple of years before my mother exhorted me to burn my comic books, my same age cousin showed me two or three ‘comics’ he had found. I’d never seen them before. The books were called Mad Comics. Standard comic book format were they, with the colors and frames, but contained therein were spoofs of established strips. But, rather than cheap throwaways, the lampoons of popular strips were beautifully drawn by established artists like Will Elder and Wally Wood, among a host of others.

What struck me was the fact that not only were the spoofs of Archie, Superman, Prince Valiant and others screamingly funny, they also metaphorically gave the finger to everything. I had, ladies and gentlemen, found satire for the first time. I never looked back. They were irreverent, rude, crude, and sometimes lewd with a lot of very big-boobed girls in the renderings, hilarious and took the constipated society of the 1950s to task. I was in heaven with this stuff.

Down the years I ran along with Mad. Within a couple of years it went to magazine format and in its prime, before it became a tiny bit lame and predictable, it held down the satirical fort. There were facsimiles, but none came close to the original as published by William M. Gaines (a former purveyor of horror comics from his EC stable).

We, of course, grow out of everything. And, just at the right time, when I was young and feeling a little rebellious, the National Lampoon came along. This was more brilliant, more irreverent, dirtier and funnier than Mad ever was in its wildest aspirations.
Again, some brilliant, brilliant folk were involved, like the late Doug Kenny, PJ O’Rourke, Ann Beatts and so many more I could not begin to mention them all. Much in the same vein as Second City, the original (and best) Saturday Night Live, and SCTV; National Lampoon came about in the age of Vietnam and profound irreverence and cynicism.

The premiere issue was known simply as: 'The Sexy Cover Issue.' I own it, I am proud to say. Indeed, I own the entire first year of National Lampoon. That was arguably the best year as well. It was fresh, shockingly smutty, brutal in its politics, often cringe-inducingly sophomoric in its themes, it still reflects a time. The classic cover during that year is the one pictured here – the worried looking dog and the revolver. I was especially struck by that cover since the dog pictured is the spitting-image of my beloved and still lamented border collie, Murphy.

It was around this time that I first turned my hand to putting together some satire of my own. I was still teaching high school, and one of the projects that I got my senior creative writing class to turn their hands to was the creation of an anti-yearbook spoof. And we did it, and it was very funny considering it was put together by me, a group of high school seniors. Two years after that the National Lampoon did their inspired and brilliantly done yearbook spoof, but I like to think we did it first.

After I left teaching shortly thereafter I became a newspaper columnist. My columns were almost always irreverent, and I was periodically chastised by my editor for coming too close to the line. But, I also won a couple of major writing awards for the paper, so he didn’t balk too much. I continued with my satirical column for nearly 20 years, and can honestly attest that – especially before I developed my own style – that Mad and Lampoon had roles to play.

At the same time, I am still pissed about having to burn those comic books.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was in an antique store once that had a sign that said simething like, "Yeah, we know you had one just like it when you were a kid."

4:45 PM  
Blogger Warty Mammal said...

Ugh! This is a tooth-gnashing story! Burn them all, indeed. I feel rather strongly that parents should respect their children's possessions.

6:48 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

OMG. I have had to listen to my brother lament the same thing twice a year since he went off to work on the railways the summer he was 17 and one (or both) of our parents carted them off to the dumpster. ("How can you make a living with this trash?" they'd say. To this day he works as a storyboard artist in the film indiustry.) If anything, his bitterness has increased, especially since he's now having all his teeth pulled because they decided a trip to Hawaii was more important than finishing off his orthodontic work. (My own grudge is still paying student loans off at the age of 35 when I had two babies at home and had to work f/t while they still trotted off to Mexico every year, had a golf club membership and ate in the best restaurants.) I totally feel for him and would love to peruse some of those oldies myself (remember MAD's Horrifying Cliches? A word and picture lover's dream!) In any case, I think you, like Rob and I, have developed our taste for satire as much in self defense as anything else. I actually spoofed the irritating Christmas letter a couple years back on my blog here: http://didrooglie.blogspot.com/search?q=traditional+holiday+newsletter

9:09 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

Ian, I love your curmudgeonly satire. You may have been influenced by Mad Magazine, but I like your satire better. However, one pleasure you will never be able to give us in your blog is a back page that morphs from one picture into something different and usually irreverent, just by folding the page twice and joining up the folds. They were brilliant, those back pages.
V.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Hermes said...

Never throw away comics or toys. THe collectible business is huge. Not that I'd ever sell my comics. Never. No matter what they're worth.

9:54 PM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Oh no Ian, what a shame! I had a similar disappointment when I got back from school to find my mother had given my entire set of Enid Blyton's St. Claire's to the jumble sale! Although that was more the principle of it, I don't think they'd be worth much in paperback anyway. And they've dated horribly now that I look back at the Famous Five, so I probably won't miss passing them onto my future children!

10:10 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

I would need a second house to have kept all of the things Mom and Dad through away over the years. Of course, I could have sold the stuff to pay for the second house . . . er, maybe that doesn't work out too well, either.

7:50 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Now Ian, what would you do with a condo in Dubai?

I loved mad, and like Voyager says, the back page was brilliant.

9:29 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

Oh! The thought... of fire... consuming cherished comics.... it hurts my heart!

On the other end of the spectrum, I have my comics in acid-free boxes and individually bagged, tagged and archived, plus a couple of Mad magazines, too. Now, I really want to dig them out, break their hermetic seals, and read them!

Must... fight.... urge.... to touch them with bare fingers....

9:09 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

My Brother loved Mad Magazine! We laughed as a family, at the wonderful satire.
I once referred to Goms fingers as Mort Drucker fingers, & he was flattered! It was years later before I told him it was the 'drawings' they reminded me of, not the artistic talent!

12:11 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

I loved Mad Magazine and although I never told anyone, for years most of the stuff I knew about classic movies and musicals I either learned from Mad's spoofs or from watching "The Carole Burnett Show."

Also my 9th grade audition for drama club was a humorous soliloquy from "Mad." And I was accepted.

12:26 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

I adored Mad magazine when I was a kid. It was so different from the sort of comics we had in the UK: The Beano, The Dandy, Valiant etc. It was more grown-up for a start.

I especially loved the cartoons by (off the top of my head) Don Martin, Dave Berg and Mort Drucker, and the Spy vs Spy stuff and the glorious satires and, Voyager reminded me, the fold-up back page. And those cartoons in the margins.

And you had some of the originals and burnt them? Aaaargh!

Still, just say:

"What, me worry?"

3:23 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I grew up with Mad magazine - to this day I still remember some 'Before and After' pages and I'd always steal it from my brother to find all the 'Spy versus Spy' parts before he took it apart. :)

7:41 AM  
Blogger Deb said...

Well, I can relate in a lot of what you have written about here. I still hold some resentments of the past - be it relationships or just things I've done.

For one, my mother suggested that I give my entire Star War collection that was "complete" and still in their casing, to my 5 yr old neighbor who loved them. I didn't care, because I was about 14 or so and never paid any mind or knew about the value of certain toys, so I gladly handed them over to him. And, I could have been rich myself.

But, looking back, I do believe that everything happens for a reason and I chuck it up to - money can't buy happiness.

I have to think that way or I'll end up in a psych ward.

:)

9:39 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home