Thursday, April 09, 2009

Happy Easter to one and all!

I do know that in the Christian scheme of notable holidays (holy-days) that Easter and the whole Easter weekend thing are much more important than the often vulgar and over-commercialized Christmas. I didn’t pay a lot of attention in Sunday school but I did pick up on that bit of lore.

Easter is, for Christians, all about the resurrection and the divinity of Christ.

OK – that’s the God stuff out of the way. Now, back to Easter. At least, Easter for a kid.

When I was a child I saw Easter as a kind of lesser Christmas. You know, you got stuff, but not a whole lot of stuff, and not big-ticket stuff. In fact, kind of stupid little stuff all in a dorky yellow and purple woven basket.
So, there would be chocolate eggs and jellybeans and little toy baby chicks, and that was about it.

Also, on Easter, we all ‘had’ to go to church where a family service would be held and there would be much talk about the true meaning of Easter, most of which I found rather abstract and too metaphorical for my tiny ears.

The Easter highlight always was the dyeing of hard-boiled eggs and the subsequent egg hunt. We’d gather a truckload of neighborhood kids around the kitchen table, pass out the eggs (only white ones) and dip them into containers of food-coloring and vinegar. My parents would then hide them around the big yard, and we would have to ferret them out. I don’t recall any prizes involved with this ritual, but it was simple fun, regardless.

It would also mean egg-salad sandwiches for the next many days.

OK, that is all I have to say about Easter, other than to hope you all have a very happy one.

Labels:

8 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

Well Easter is pretty vulgar and over-commercialized these days, what with the marshmallow chicks and the chocolate Disney characters.

But then, evil atheist that I am, I've never been much for the religious side of it.

12:58 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

PS: How's your cutie? Is she feeling better?

12:59 PM  
Blogger Deb said...

I remember my mom hiding all the candy and toys in our own house- we never had an official "egg hunt", even though we had so many acres of land. Weird huh?

In any event, Happy Easter!!! Enjoy your holiday!

1:29 PM  
Blogger Lakeland Jo said...

I could just eat an egg salad sandwich- yum

1:57 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

A happy Easter to you too Ian.

7:45 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I hope your Easter is happy Ian.
I remember we got one egg each, the chocolate variety, & not being mad about chocolate, mine usually lasted a week or more. Occasionally we did the boiled egg decorated thing. Really the best thing about Easter to me, is family.

3:16 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Happy Easter to you and yours too Ian.

3:31 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Happy Chocolate Day!

11:53 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home