Tuesday, April 07, 2009

The continuing saga of 'Tall Guy'

I’m a relatively friendly soul. I have my boundaries and I don’t spread myself around like a low-rent taxi-dancer (at least I don’t think I do. God, what if I’m wrong?) When I am dealing with others I come across during my day.

But, for example, when I’m out for a walk and pass somebody on the street I generally smile, nod, and even say ‘hi’ or ‘hello’. I think such agreeability is a mark of being civilized. And, this is the sort of community in which such things go on. I like it.

Consequently I am always a bit dumfounded when I come across somebody with no loquaciousness. I am especially piqued when this individual is one a person comes across all the time.

We have a favorite local coffee joint. It’s a nicely appointed and invariably friendly place. We both like it very much. We know the baristas and have come to know most of the regulars. Indeed, are on a first name basis with most of them. I mean, it’s just a big and contented family getting th3eir morning caffeine fixes while they nod at one another, say ‘hello’, ask about the family and with the closer coffee co-conspirators even exchange the odd hug. Sort of like the Cheers bar minus the suds, as well (blessedly) Norm and Cliff.

But, there is one guy who breaks from the pattern. He has been going there for years but is yet to smile, nod, pass the time of day or acknowledge one’s existence. He is very, very tall. I don’t know how tall. Maybe 11-foot-three or something. Well, from my vantage point of 5-foot-nine-ish-sorta, anybody over six feet seems mighty elevated. As an aside, I once dated a six-foot tall girl. Was she ever nice to slow dance with. Now, moving right along. Since this guy is so tall we have, with much originality and honesty, christened him ‘Tall Guy’.

So, I have played a few games with Tall Guy, or TG, which I have shortened it to – again with the originality, I know. I have tried to lean waaaaaaay back and establish eye-contact with him. Nothing. I’ve smiled. Nothing. I’ve nodded. Nada. I’ve even said ‘hi’. The salutation is not returned.

I don’t think his reserve is because I am shorter than he is, because he’s like that with everybody. Mind you, most people are shorter than he. Maybe he does suffer from munchkinophobia?

Anyway, not only is TG very tall, I have never been able to figure out his story. What does he do? He looks to be in maybe his early 40s but apparently doesn’t need to be anywhere during the day in terms of working. He’s always there. It’s a guarantee. Also, he is never-ever with anybody, male or female. Certainly doesn’t seem to have a lady friend or spouse. Or, if he’s gay, he doesn’t seem to have a close male companion or partner.

He walks to the place, because I have seen him on the street. We walk there as well, since it’s only a couple of blocks distant. He, of course, accomplishes the walk in about 17 lopes.

Anyway, I am not about to challenge TG in his isolation. It’s his right, despite my curiosity. I just wonder how somebody goes through life never choosing to interact with others.

Of course, it’s probably absolutely none of my business, but what the hell, I wasn’t a newspaper reporter at various times in my life without having something of a sense of curiosity. Maybe someday somebody will crack the TG story.

Now, on an entirely unrelated topic. Yesterday I had a nasty virus strike my cute little laptop and she is feeling unwell. Hugely unwell. So, she is in the infirmary and I am pinch-hitting on Wendy’s when I get access. But, of course, all my stuff, notes everything is on my own and, of course, I had nothing backed up and filed elsewhere.

Hopefully she will be back later today and then I have to re-insert all the programs.

So, if I haven’t been around your blog in the last little while, that is the reason. I still love you. Really I do, but when hi-tech becomes ailing-tech there is little a body can do.

Labels:

14 Comments:

Blogger meggie said...

We meet a man like this on our garage sale rounds. Everyone else speaks & nods, but Small Bike Man refuses to even acknowledge our existance. He rides a pushbike, with a small cardboard box on the front, seemingly for his purchses. Occasionally we see him in a funny old van, presumably when he has found a large purchase.

4:12 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

Hmmm...the mysterious tall man. He could be a character in a novel. Well maybe he is just shy or depressed or harboring a secret. Or maybe he just has nothing to say.

You will have to tell us what happens next!

6:14 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Tall guy has visited our neighborhood grocery a few times, and is just as unfriendly on American soil. It is disconcerting - I have usually found men to be quite friendly.

He is 7'6" -- I know this because while speculating to the cashier about him, he said that he had asked him once. As I am a mere 5'1" my eye level is approximately at his belt. To see his face requires a back bend of the kind usually performed by limbo dancers. Apparently, TG gets around.

6:59 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Poor fellow. He is probably pathologically shy, from being so tall maybe.
You got a blog post out of him so perhaps you can go break the ice and tell him so. Just don't give him the link.

7:26 PM  
Blogger Pearl said...

I have a similar situation with a person I no longer smile or say "hi" to - it's been five years now, and I spent the first four saying "good morning" and smiling pleasantly. Nothing. I give up!
No doubt she'll miss me.
:-)
Pearl

8:38 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I used to walk my daughter to school and very often saw a weird little family - either the dad and mom or one or the other walking their daughter to school. I always said something and they never even looked. They were very short though, not tall. My daughter said the girl was her age but never talked to anyone. I saw them often all over the neighborhood. Always walking. At the end of the girls' fifth grade year, these people that always walked and never spoke lost their daughter. She was running across an 8 lane highway to go to the mall to buy a dress for the school dance. I wish they had spoken to people and I wish they had bought a car.

11:08 PM  
Blogger I Beatrice said...

Tall Guy has many permutations. We have one living two doors down - my husband challenges him to a good morning every time, but I no longer bother.

Sometimes I think it's better not to know the secrets of his standoffishness. He appeared to me in his most remarkable form years ago - only then he came as Small Plump Woman.

I was newly arrived in London (from New Zealand) and working nights in a very exclusive private clinic, where at 1am, supper was served to the nurses in a basement room. On my first night there I sat down beside one of the other nurses, who promptly and very deliberately picked up her plate, and knife and fork, and moved to another part of the table.

I was mortified of course - but on inquiring of the other nurses what it could have been I'd done to offend, was told:

"Oh, don't worry about her! She'll sit next to no-one - she believes she is the Grand Duchess Anastasia."

Now why hadn't I thought of that, I asked myself......

1:18 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Oh dear- you have to break his silence Ian, even if it means making a fool out of yourself! And keep us posted!

2:24 AM  
Blogger Daisy said...

Oh dear- you have to break his silence Ian, even if it means making a fool out of yourself! And keep us posted!

2:24 AM  
Blogger lady macleod said...

YE gods! a sick laptop? I'm right there with you and you know that - goes right in the with the prayers during morning meditation. Indeed! Makes your teeth itch doesn't it? You could always visit the Apple store and drool - that's what I did when mine was unwell, and I think the word got out as it was in the backroom at the time and miraculously revived under the hands of the techs. Um hmm....

As for TG, great story. When Q was wee and we took to the air, which was often, I would make up stories about all the passengers to keep her entertained. TG would be good for a lengthly tale me thinks!

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I have a neighbour who is sort of like TG. We've been neighbours for over 15 years, and I just recently got her to say hello when we pass on the sidewalk.

Maybe I remind her of someone she hates?

As for the laptop - Lesson learned. Hopefully you'll spring for an external hard disk and back your stuff up.

Like I'm one to talk!

7:37 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

Oooh methinks there's going to be a good story in here somewhere. Do let us know if you ever crack this case LOL.

9:37 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

This morning TG was having coffee (solo, of course) in the downstairs restaurant from the coffee place. Wonder what that means? Hmm.

10:15 AM  
Blogger andrea said...

Waiting with bated breath for more on the TG saga. I had the opposite experience today. A guy with a Doberman was the friendliest guy I've ever met at the dog park. I was blown away. Clearly like that with everyone.

6:04 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home