Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Celine? No, thanks but I'll take the waterboarding

Can you imagine having Celine Dion wailing (some might call it singing, but I could never be so generous) that horrible My Heart Will Go On at you incessantly until you crack?

Or, in the same vein, Paul Anka’s vomity She’s Having My Baby wired to your earholes so that you could never escape it? Wouldn’t you blow the whistle on the transgressions of your own mother if you were forced to undergo such rigors?

Well, according to well-informed sources, music torture is just one of the refinements of interrogation being used on the hapless inmates of Guantanamo. This is for real. So, if waterboarding isn’t excess enough at Gitmo, then Terry Jack’s screechingly awful Seasons In The Sun is sure to make the strongest Al Qaeda operative crumble.

Seriously, music torture has to be one of the most frightful marriages of technology with brutality – all in the name of freedom, y’unnersrtand. If you think about it, incessant exposure to even fine and normally soothing pieces of music would make you crack.

I happen to be rather fond of Clapton’s Layla, or Lynyrd Skynyrd’s Free Bird, but I wouldn’t want them pounded out at me. The Zombies’ She’s Not There has always brought me pleasure, as has Hendrix’s Purple Haze, and the Stones’ Honky-Tonk Woman, but within reason. After a while it would become tiresome, then infuriating, and finally, torture.

Even lovely classical pieces by Mozart or Bach would ultimately exasperate one if one were to be bombarded non-stop. Brahm’s Lullaby wouldn’t bring sleep, it would bring madness.

When I first read the article on musical torture, I thought it was tongue-in-cheek, but it was nothing of the sort. The writer also queried whether or not the Gitmo interrogators had sought the rights to the pieces of music and if they were paying royalties. Legitimate questions, if you think about it.

What pieces of music would make you crack? I’ve included some of my own:

I Will Always Love You (Whitney Houston): I think this already qualifies as musical torture for anybody who has attended a wedding in the past 20-odd years.

Horse With No Name (America). What in the hell is this song about?

Honey (Bobby Goldsboro). Honey was very fortunate. She died before hearing this dreck.

Kokomo (Beach Boys) From the dudes who brought you God Only Knows and Good Vibrations, this is a travesty.

American Pie (Don McLean). Catchy at the beginning, woefully tiresome and sappy by now. Credit to McLean, he has come to loathe it, too.

The End (The Doors) Pretentious asshole Jim Morrison at his pretentious asshole worst. 'Hey, man, that’s like deep Freudian analysis.' No it’s not. It’s pseudo-Freudian bullshit.

Ebony and Ivory (McCartney/Wonder) They both should have been so thoroughly ashamed of themselves.

I could, just like Celine, go on and on with my list, but shall refrain, but leave you with this thought. In our incessantly wired world, try to escape the ‘sounds’ sometimes and be grateful that you have the freedom to do so.

Oh, and if I have included some of your favorites with my 'worsts' it doesn't mean I don't still love you.



Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Dear lord, I read your headline and snorted so hard I irrigated my sinuses with coffee. Torture songs, eh? I'm going to have to go think about this one.

2:53 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Anything with heavy bass drives me right to the edge.

Ugh Ugh! :)

~*

5:40 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I totally believe torture through music is possible if someone has Bobby Ferrin's "Don't Worry, Be Happy" on repeat. Or what about "Quit Playing Games With My Heart" by the Backstreet Boys.

I'm also currently being tortured by the "I Kissed a Girl" song by Katy Perry. Oh my goodness I've heard it so many times this summer that it makes me want to bash my head against something in the hopes that it'll be expunged from my brain permanently.

Alas, my fear of pain prevents me from taking such drastic measures.

6:53 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Ian, I loved this post! I've always said that if I died and went to hell I would have to listen to country music. Or European techno. To paraphrase a famous adage, "Music has harms to sear the savage breast." I won't name names, but you listed two songs that I hate beyond reason. (And one of them I thought everyone liked but me.) One that's just gaggy, one song I really like and you listed one song that's just funny if you ever saw the "Saturday Night Live" parody. I actually could listen to some songs over and over. I could listen to The Platter's "Twilight Time" 24/7 and never tire of it. As a matter of fact, I wish I could arrange that. My home phone ringtone is Vivaldi's "Spring" from The Four Seasons and I have missed calls because I was enjoying the song. So I guess I am at all ends of the spectrum on music.

11:05 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Hee hee, I have to agree with a large portion of your selection!

4:12 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Ugh. Ebony and Ivory. That has got to be one of the most stupid songs of all time. Ever.

As for My Heat Will Go On, there's something to be said about the fact that for a couple of years it was the number one wedding song - and it's all about death.

There's something freudian in that.

Other than that, looping anything by Brittney Spears or that Macarena thing. Or country music...

Enough! I'm shuddering uncontrolably now.

7:03 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

anything, repeated ad nauseum....

8:07 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

The first song that leaped to mind was "Honey".
Oi-oi-oi...
I would like to add, "Hey, Hey Paula", by Ray Hildebrand, and "Teen Angel", by Mark Dinning.

And a mention of the movie Clockwork Orange is appropriate here...

11:53 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Ian you hit most of those songs on the head. I am going to add rap music and club music to your list. I do like country and old time rock and roll. some jazz, etc. I am pretty eclectic in my tastes.
I do believe the best invention ever is my IPOD. Now I tune out all commercials and listen to only what I want. And change it when I want and the mood strikes.

Have a great day.

3:18 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Another great post Ian. I'd have to say country and western is the stuff that drives me crazy. And there was some really bad stuff written in the fifties. How about Mule train over and over? Or the Purple people eater?

10:14 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Oh, my gosh, that's hilarious! "I Will Always Love You," especially when sung by someone drunk at karaoke was a scorcher. Hmmm. I'll have to think about this one. Too funny, though.

7:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think Horse with No Name is hysterical. Otherwise, I'm with you on this list. I'd add anything by Michael Bolton. Gah. And That god-awful "Walk Like a Man" song. Actually, now that I think about it, anything in falsetto.

7:59 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home