Saturday, July 19, 2008

Call me grumpy, but I don't ever want to go to another potluck barbecue

There was a time when we were very young, very poor and very foolish indeed, though we thought we were mature beyond our years (and especially beyond the years of our parents, had given the finger to bourgeois materialism, and we were, of course, wondrous wise.

And we’d gather together, the men too bearded and shaggy-maned, and the peasant blouse wearing women, some with tits already too far south to go braless, but they did regardless, and we’d see ourselves as amazingly cool as we ‘grokked’ to the hidden meanings of the Velvet Underground’s Sister Ray.

And, as we gathered together foodstuffs would be brought in from the VW Westphalias and tattered Volvos by the revellers, and cheapshit wine or beer, and for the truly ‘liberated’ some amazingly low THC pot, and all would be merriment and ‘up the revolution’.

And everything was all ‘potluck’ and BYOB. We were starting out. We wanted to gather socially, but nobody could really afford to provide all the accoutrements for a shindig in the days of plank and brick bookshelves, futons and beanbag chairs. So, we pooled what we had.

I guess it was fun. I guess I would never, ever want to do it again.

But that was, blessedly, then, not now. Today we live in the glorious age of global warming and the ongoing Amy Winehouse death watch. Sorry, Amy, but we had Janis so we’ve already been there.

Ultimately, we all grew up a bit and advanced in our professional or occupational callings, acquired mortgages, produced children, and joined the mainsteam. We left childish and counterculture toys behind. We thought. But, there was an element that apparently hasn’t. There was a group that resolutely clung to age-old values. This is a body predominantly leftish in sensibilities that appears to miss those old communal verities of pitching in collectively.

I am not of their numbers, but I have been associated with them professionally, and some of them I like very much.

The watermark of those old values, but the way is, for want of a term: cheapskatedness.

In other words they, all of whom drive nice cars (and feel guilty about it, of course) and have splendid waterfront homes (they don’t all have waterfront homes, but it makes my point more effectively if I leave you to assume they do), are so tight with a penny that I find it downright rude.

Case in point: A few weeks ago we were invited to a barbecue by such a group. Now, these were folks I hadn’t seen in many years and thought perhaps we should attend. I told Wendy.

“I bet it’s a (vulgar term for coition) ing potluck,” she said.
“Well, she did ask if we’d bring a salad,” I replied.
“Then it’s a (same expletive for sexual congress) ing potluck.”

It was just that. And we felt cranky about it, though we were polite. The point is, aside from the stinginess that prompts somebody to lay on a potluck (which is offensive enough in itself), the food is often lousy (with anything good going early) and was created under conditions of sanitation that might not be up to standard. Added to which, I am very particular about how a grilled hamburger should be prepared. Others are not. There is both an art and science to this, folks. It’s just mainly a disagreeable meal and makes me long to exit at the earliest possible instant.

What is this all about, anyway? What is the impulse that tells a person he or she is entertaining just by providing a venue? Wendy was, of course, right about the potluck thing. I mean, if we have people over we provide food and drink. That is called ‘hosting’. How are people of more than adequate means thinking they’re being social by asking their guests to spend dollars on the grub they’re going to consume?

In exactly the same context is the BYOB thing. A friend from England came out on teacher exchange and was aghast at the concept.

“I’m sorry,” she said, “But I cannot get used to the concept. If I have houseguests, I provide the drink for them. They are guests, for heaven’s sake, and I have invited them.”

All I can say in closing is that if I invite you to drop by, be assured I’ll provide you with a meal and a potable of your liking.
.



Labels: ,

18 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I invite people over, I generally provide everything. But I also love potlucks. It's a relaxed way for a large group of people getting together without leaving all the work on one family. And that is especially true if not everyone in the group has a home where they even could accomodate a large group.

5:37 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

my 'socials' are small/intimate enough for me to provide, but if folk bring additional drink, i don't mind... i'm with you on sanitary food issues, too....

7:15 AM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

Usually I like potlucks but the ones I've been to are usually associated with some organization. I like the variety of foods.

Since I like one-on-one stuff, we usually go to a restaurant. :)

8:18 AM  
Blogger Sugar. said...

I have to agree with you regarding potlucks. One problem with potlucks is that you end up with 6 bowls of potato salad, 4 bowls of macaroni salad, a box of chips (which is what I usually bring, cause why the hell should I cook) and a stale bag of dinner rolls. There never seems to be a full meal at those things. Just lots of salads...

10:36 AM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

Brilliant! I am in need of a great meal. See you tomorrow at about seven thirty?

10:57 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

I think it's okay to ask a relative to bring their special dish to a family gathering (they always ask me to bring my deviled eggs) but yes, a real dinner party is fully provisioned.

12:06 AM  
Blogger vivavavoom said...

I agree! If I throw a party, just bring yourself....or if there is a beverage you will be pissed that I do not have and know you like, then bring it. Whenever I get a potluck invite, I am the one bringing the snacks you can get at a 7-11. Which by the way, are always the first thing people eat anyways. There are always too many chips and dips and pasta salads.

yuor blog is great btw....came across it from wolfgrrl

2:49 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

When we first came to live in Oz, one of the dismaying facts was the BYOB & the Bring a Plate, which meant filled with food, not just to eat off!
As NZers we had always provided both for our guests, & prided ourselves on our hospitality. Strange how customs can vary so much between similar cultures.

3:32 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Funny, in my circle we do a lot of potlucks when we invite 20+ people to dinner and surprisingly enough we've never ended up with a million salads or 30 desserts. I suppose there have to be enough people to ensure a good spread- or else we have good potluck karma.

I've eaten some great food at potlucks.

6:02 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

By the way Mr. Grumpy, there's an award at my blog for you, just desserts for having made me work so hard on distributing the one you sent me. Gotcha!

8:47 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Like Jazz, I have had great good fortune of going to delicious pot lucks.
I think the trick is to cultivate good cooks for friends :)

And even if I were invited to your home for the full Monty, I always bring something sweet or alcoholic...that is, other than myself.

11:32 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

I detest potlucks, and am often told that I am:
grumpy
rude
finicky
picky
squeamish

because I can't choke down food which was made in twenty different kitchen, under varying standards of sanitation, with only-god-knows-what ingredients. I'm okay with BYOB because I know what I like to drink and I don't want to charge anyone with that particular bill, but food? No way. I'll come to a potluck for the conversation, but you won't see me anywhere near the buffet table. BLECH!

1:36 PM  
Blogger Rositta said...

When I host I also supply all that is needed but in our neighbourhood one person started a yearly bbq. It involves 8 houses and the venue changes every year. The host supplies the meat and everyone else brings something. It's not so bad, kind of neighbourly actually. My turn is in two years again...ciao

4:42 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I have never cared for (vulgar term for coitus) potlucks. I have no fondness for lasagne made on somebody's kitchen floor, three kinds of macaroni salad with spoiled mayonnaise and marshmallow-stuffed jello.

While I understand that very young adults often cannot afford to host a gathering, older established ones who throw such events are simply masquerading cheapness as fun.

11:53 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I'll be right over!
I don't mind potlucks, not of the stingy variety you describe however. There always seems to be too much food and lots of wine among my friends. I think no one wishes to be thought stingy and consequently they overdo it.

11:32 PM  
Blogger Parisgirl said...

If we're invited we'll bring over a bottle of something without being asked!

7:16 AM  
Blogger Dita said...

Funny to mention "Pot" and "Potluck" together. Warm smiles. And ewe, yes the food is always funkay'

11:37 AM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

You gave me a good chuckle with this one.

The last time I went to a potluck, the host told me to bring me something sweet or something savory - no guidance other than that. It was a good fifty mile drive to his place, so I took a couple of different types of cheese plus some crackers. I figured that the cheese and crackers would avoid sanitation/spoilage issues.

Imagine my surprise when I got there and found that he and his wife had laid out an entire, beautifully prepared table of cheeses and crackers. My plastic-wrapped lumps of coagulated milk looked pitiful by comparison. I felt deeply embarrassed, as though I hadn't held up my end of the deal.

That's potlucks for you!

8:24 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home