Monday, July 07, 2008

Some of us just need a larger pond, I guess


In our back garden there sits a serene little fishpond, surrounded by plants and shrubs and looking invitingly serene. Within that pond are four fish – 3 goldfish and one koi.

They’ve inhabited their little domain for a number of years now. They’re no fuss or muss. In the warmer months I feed them each morning, and I run the filter and the water sometimes gets algae-ridden, but I try to keep it moderately clean.

I’m fond of my fish. They’re very quiet and they put no demands on me provided I minister to their fundamental needs. I always do.

And I think of those four fish – they’re actually getting moderately large –- and think how that back garden pond is their entire universe. It’s all that they know and, as far as understand, it’s all they want. They don’t long for a vast lake or even a larger pond, for they have no experience to tell them what that would be like.

Indeed, in their confinement, they know nothing about the larger domestic universe that surrounds them. They have no appreciation of the lawns, or the gardens, or the house that looms behind them. They do know me because I’m the person who brings them food. They like that. They anticipate my arrival each morning and rise to the surface in expectations. Very small expectations. They’re not frustrated. They ask for nothing more. Even ‘better’ food isn’t on their agenda.

“No, just that same old flaked shit, boss. Works for us. Don’t be going fancy on us and getting upscale fish food.”

This is their world. They were tiny tad fishes when they came and they seem to be happy and content in their known universe. In that I kind of admire them. They know nothing of environmental concerns, fear of a global recession, the price of gasoline and the apparent gouging by big petro thugs grieves them not at all. As long as the food keeps coming, and the water doesn’t dry up or become impure or de-oxygenated they have no worries. Even if threats of environmental havoc are out there, they cannot abstract that fear anymore than they can have nightmares about raids by raccoons or herons. Such tragedies can befall them, but the fish don’t know it.

Human beings, however, do not have the limitations of fish. We all live in a larger pond. A pond that for many of us, especially the traveled, can be extensive. I hold to the belief that the more traveled we are, the broader and more tolerant we are about life on all sides of our pond. We come to realize that despite nonsense and biases over race and creed and language all those ‘issues’, our fellow fish have more similarities than differences.

And this brings me to thoughts about a guy that never is entirely away from my cognizance. I think about him once or twice a week. Sometimes I think I ought to do something about him. Probably it’s none of my business – but maybe it is.

That guy is my youngest brother. Born nearly a decade after I was, I confess I don’t understand him at all. Furthermore, the powers in his life – namely his wife – want to make sure that I gain no greater understanding of him. She seems to control his destiny, wants, and needs. Kind of creepy that.

Quick profile of my bro: Brother lives in a very limited pond. Intelligent, good looking (I assume, though I haven’t seen him in nearly 15-years), he does ‘nothing.’ He has a university degree, but has literally never worked at anything resembling a job or, to my knowledge, any sort of creative endeavor like painting or writing.

He ahs never done anything, nor has he ever been anywhere. He has never been on an airplane and, since he was a child, vacationing with parents, he has never been out of the country. He spends his days and nights in the house he shares with a wife who has always paid the bills and ‘kept’ him. She brooks no interference. My ex, showering compassion and concern for her brother-in-law, dared to suggested to his wife that her BOL needed some intensive psychiatric help. Wife went ballistic and didn’t speak to my ex again for a long time.

Anyway, I have tried to get in touch with him many times over the years, and have spoken with him on the phone and he’s always quite friendly, even chatty. But, if I suggest dropping by, there is usually an excuse. That’s OK. I can live with it in the sense it’s his choice.

But, I cannot help but go to his fish pond and wonder why he wants it to be so confined, so limited. How does the tedium not kill him? I know he doesn’t seek solace through drink or drugs, so what gives him incentive to get up on the morning? What motivates his wife to see him living a completely bovine existence? I mean, she got up and went out to work every morning, so what gives?

Oh, I could offer all sorts of psychoanalytical reasons, but that would be presumptuous in a way. And, I suppose, by human nature I tend to put myself and my restless soul in his position and wonder how he has kept from killing himself. But, that’s me, not him.

All I know is that I have chosen to explore a larger pond in life; and it hasn’t always been easy, but at least there has been some element of adventure therein. Torpor doesn’t work for me. I don’t know if it does for him, either, but since he, like my fish, has never known any broader horizons, maybe it does. Maybe I’m wrong.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Blogger thailandchani said...

Some people are content that way. And that's just as okay as those of us who prefer to travel and experience different things.

Believe it or not, I have heard comparable judgments made about the fact that I don't date.

There are a variety of reasons for the choices I've made.. not the least of which is that it simply doesn't interest me.

It could be something similar with your brother. It's not always easy to see things through someone else's lens. :)

~*

9:35 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I guess one man's poison is another man's meat. But this is what makes an interesting world with each individual being so unique.
Love that little painting Ian!

9:39 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I tend to put myself and my restless soul in his position

Which is the crux of the matter. He isn't you. And maybe his tiny pond makes him feel safe rather than confined.

Go figure...

11:22 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

We all make our own choices and he seems to have made a much different one than most. I can see why you are concerned, though.

11:35 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

i thought slavery was illegal... even if agreed to? :(

2:59 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

upscale fish food.
ha.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

My heart breaks for you that you haven't seen him in fifteen years. It brings up a question of when is a person's behavior just individual choice/personality and when is it the result of actual psychological or emotional problems. We have such an individualistic society that I imagine it increasingly is difficult to discern the difference. How could someone not want to see you for fifteen years? Yes, there is something else underscoring/causing his behavior and such a Peter Pan type relationship with his wife can't be healthy, even if it's his "choice".

11:07 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

You've come up with some really tough questions in the last couple of posts Ian - both general and specific - good for you for tackling them. I don't know what to say about your brother, it's very sad that you are so different from him and he is annexed away by his wife. I can understand the not travelling part much more than I can the not working part- is there anyone a little more removed than you, his brother, that might be able to go and speak to him? Sibling relationships can be so hard - my dad didn't see (or speak to) his sister for 20 years and then he sat with her for the last week of her life and they had some good talks. I hope you are not made too sad by it and that your talks on the telephone perhaps lead to something more. x M

2:37 AM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

OH MY GORSHNESS ... Your BROTHER IS MY BROTHER IN LAW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I kid you not! If you tell me he lives in Broken Arrow ... i'd swear that controlling wife was sister of mine!

The small pond is self inflicted (and rather scary!)

I just helped their eldest fishy child of 22 break out of the fish pond, and establish inependence ...and caused a huge family fued. (Girls are supposed to stay home until they are married, even if it's not until they are 50 years old, yes, I'm serious ...they are also not supposed to even as much as hold hands till marriage)

I gave her a place to live, to help her establish her own world, with her own life as an adult, and life ..and a wonderful life to explore and love and travel and ...

I'm not public enemy number one who doesn't deserve to be talked to.

They were content in their little pond ... and no one was supposed to disrupt it.

scary stuff those little ponds. They are meant for beautiful fish, not people.

4:11 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

This is a tough one, Ian. If I hadn't gone through all I've gone through in the last five years, I might not understand it (and probably still don't because people's experiences are all so different), *but* I know I've hidden myself away from the world as a protective mechanism (or at least an attempt at one) and wonder if your brother is doing the same. It takes courage to get out there, you know? Or a swift kick in the ass, which it doesn't sound like he's getting. My hope is that it works for him and his wife and that he doesn't look back on it and regret it. It really is too bad, though, because I know that you are a treasure and he's missing out by not connecting with you more fully. His loss, my friend. His loss.

6:27 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

I don't understand your brother's situation either. Little ponds can be very comfortable. They can also be very stultifying. In this case, your brother probably is not only physically stuck in that small pond, but mentally as well.

Like it or not, we are all part of the "larger pond", and we need to know something of it in order to act responsibly or make informed decisions. Experiences outside our small realm of comfort also give life new textures and nuances.

A child I used to know had a couple of goldfish in a small, ten gallon aquarium. He fed them to such an extent that they grew almost as long as the container they were in, barely able to move and with their proportions distorted by their surroundings. It wasn't until they were moved from the aquarium to a larger pond that they were able to grow and be healthy.

9:08 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have a brother much like this, content to live a fairly confined life. It baffles me, since I am alwys champing at the bit to explore more of what the world has to offer.

3:12 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home