Monday, June 23, 2008

So, here is the story I promised


I wrote last Friday that I would tell you more, and now I am so doing. Not that I like to ramble about personal health concerns but I felt some sort of explanation would be apt. So here is my bit of aptness.

We were away in Victoria for a day and I had a lovely day on Thursday, wandering around without much of a care in the world, aside from the one that convinces me with increasing frequency that we’re all going to hell in a handcart and there’s not much I can do about it.

Anyway, I awakened early on Friday in our hotel room, swung my feet over the edge of the bed and prepared to make morning coffee. Except my left hand was numb. Totally numb. Like a flipper on a dying fish it would only flop around. At first I thought I’d slept on it and I awaited the pins and needles that would indicate it was coming back to full circulation.

Except, that didn’t happen.

Ten minutes later it was just the same. I awakened Wendy. Her response was immediate. “We have to get you to a doctor.”

I didn’t argue. But I didn’t want a doctor in a different town. I wanted the familiar. So, we drove the 140 miles back to the Comox Valley and by 11 a.m. I was with my own sawbones.

By that time my hand had regained considerable strength. When we were still in Victoria Wendy had to help me dress. I had progressively regained gripping power, however.

Back to the doctor. I told him what had happened. “You have experienced a Transient Ischemic Attack,” he said. “Or, in layman’s terms, a mini-stroke.” I preferred the scientific name because it sounded less ominous; less frightening.

He was reassured, as was I, that the attack was extremely localized and confined to only my hand, not even my arm. That, he said, is a good indication.

What a TIA is is when a blood clot travels to a certain part of the brain and temporarily screws up the bit of the body that part of the brain governs, and then it moves on.

This can indicate a build-up of plaque in the blood vessels, and this is not a very good thing, obviously.

So, today, and for the next number of days I have to undergo a number of procedures to assess how I am doing in the old plaque department, in order to avoid another episode, or worse.

He told me not to panic and to continue life as ordinary, and to do what I do, work, have fun, and don’t alter anything other than grabbing rest when I can.

Tall order. Even if everything is AOK, this shit is traumatizing. One’s immediate thought is: “I’m going to die now.” Not so, but that is what it feels like at first.

Right now I am on blood-thinners, which is a pain mainly because I hate to take anything, even an aspirin for a headache. But, if that’s the way it has to be, so be it. I like my life and would like to hang around for a considerably longer time.

So, in a nutshell, there you have it.


RIP George Carlin


I would be remiss not to mention that the untimely death of George Carlin was entirely uncalled for. The wonderful, profane, and excruciatingly honest 'Hippy-Dippy Weatherman' was of infinitely more value to the sanity of the planet than any thousand politicians.


Rest in Peace, George, and don't let the fuckers drag you down.

You take me back to a time when you exposed all the cant and hypocristy in society. Your highly attuned bullshit detector smote them all.

Only problem is, guys like you are still needed, maybe even more than before.


Labels:

18 Comments:

Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

Thank you for sharing your diagnosis with us- sounds like you were quite afraid but you HAVE to carry on as normal. HAVE TO!

I hope you avoid any further mishaps.

x

12:00 PM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

That's quite a fright - and one we all fear. I'm sure you'll be fine and I send you my best wishes.

And keep on blogging!

12:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That sounds really frightening. I'm glad you are okay now and I hope you follow the "rest" prescription.

12:50 PM  
Blogger thailandchani said...

I have had one of those so I know how frightening they are. Glad yours was minor and that you will be okay. It's just a warning from your body to slow down and go a bit more gently. :)

1:31 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

Jeebus, Ian!
I'm so glad it wasn't your feet fell off!

:)

I insist on staying alive because I'm not done irritating people yet...

And, you are too, too correct about Carlin being "...of infinitely more value to the sanity of the planet than any thousand politicians."
I will miss him.

5:57 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

VERY scary! We need to keep reading you, so don't disappear.

6:35 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

Oh my goodness, that sounds terrifying. I am so glad that Wendy said you had to go to a doctor and that you weren't too far from home. I'm doubly glad you are alright, relatively speaking, and that you know what's wrong so you can take more steps to take care of yourself. You're definitely in my thoughts and prayers.

8:05 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I can well imagine how that knocked you for a loop. Do take care my friend and follow the doctor's advice.

8:47 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

do heed your "quack's" advice, and work on getting back in the flow, as it were

like george, you're far too young to die!

rip, bro carlin! :(

6:08 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Thanks for the update. Now, go get some more rest. :)

7:25 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

Thanks for the explanation, and OH MY, scary! What a fright! I hope the remainder of tests and litany of medications restore you to health, and nothing like this happens again!

10:17 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Ugh, that must be quite upsetting for you. Hopefully it's a one-off and you can resume your normal life quickly. Many, many people are on warfarin and do just fine.

12:14 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Whoa! Gobble up them blood thinners. Blogging is a great way to rest... ;-)

7:50 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

Ian, I'm sorry to hear your news, it was a scare for you and you must take care.

10:18 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

TIA's can be very scary but it sounds like you are getting all the correct meds and treatment advice. The good thing about it was that you sought treatment right away. Sometimes people aren't sure what they are experiencing and let time go by.

And George Carlin passing on puts a lot of pressure on you to keep the counter culture, insightful witty sarcasm going, Ian.

So rest up!

12:14 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Oh no what a shock! Poor you, I'm glad it's gone now but good you're checking it all out and monitoring it - a warning signal can be a good thing in the long run. Thank you for letting us know and not letting us fear the worst for too long! x M

2:25 PM  
Blogger Georgina said...

Hi Ian, I came to comment after your post of the day with "the girl with the mask," but felt it was not suitable for me to do so. I am pleased you have had a diagnosis and the docs are on the case. If it's any comfort my friend had Two "mini strokes" before she was 21. She is now 42 and we are learning more about such issues every day. Debs x

1:51 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

Ian, it does sound terrifying, but TIA's are actually quite common. My mother had several, which left no aftereffects like more serious strokes do.

Blood thinners and normal exercise, etc. should help you to ward off any further episodes, but I'm so sorry you had to endure this.

Please do take good care of your wonderful self. You occupy a very large place in many hearts, you know.

10:51 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home