Monday, August 04, 2008

Hooray for us -- I guess

British Columbia is 150 years old.

Woo-Hoo!

Well, actually it’s a lot older than that in a geological sense.

Anyway, 150 years old, they tell us. Isn’t that kind of a Eurocentric White Guy view of the place? Sort of suggests nothing happened here prior to 1858, but I suspect it did.

I didn’t think we did that sort of thing any more.

Added to which, why is such a minuscule age considered such an accomplishment?

The Holy Roman Empire was 1,000 years old when they packed it in about 1800 after fully realizing it was neither Holy, Roman, nor an Empire.

Nobody’s missed it much.

Anyway, have a good BC Day anyway all you BC-ers. An August holiday is not to be sneezed at.


(BTW, I had a really nice picture of fireworks and all to run with this but stupid blogger decided to not pick up any art. Bad-Bad Blogger)

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, happy 150th. I think it's basically any excuse for a party,

6:10 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Yeah I tried to post some pictures yesterday and nothing doing, just wouldn't take them... :o(
Happy 150th by the way.

6:22 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Happy BC day! I hope it's as lovely day as it is here in gay Paree x

7:56 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Whoa! that's big. I guess 150 is huge...

8:22 AM  
Blogger meggie said...

Erm???

4:15 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

that's 150, as a province....

8:08 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home