Monday, July 28, 2008

Garden-'schmarden' -- I need a nap about now

It happens every year around about the time July segues into August. I always vow that it won’t. Two months ago I recall consciously saying: “This year it ain’t gonna happen, Babe,” or words to that effect. In fact, I’m not alone in this. It happens to both of us about the same time.

What is it?

Garden apathy.

In March and April we plan. With daffodils and tulips already in bloom, as a source of inspiration we steadfastly resolve that this year it will look better than ever. We go so far as to envision a project that will turn our humble residence into even more of a horticultural showplace. Perhaps we’ll get on the tour bus route.

In May and June we go to work. We may even get a new project completed. We have lots of energy and the fact that the garden is coming into its own yet again provides us with added incentive. The lawns are lush and verdant; the roses are coming nicely into bud, disease free. The dogwoods are flowering and the bearded irises are the pieces de resistance in the beds.

Then comes July. What was needed to be done has been done – or not. Well, there’s always next year, we say. Lawn starts to dry out a bit. Oh well, healthier for it to go into hiatus, goes conventional wisdom. Although the major weeding was seen to in June the little bastards persist in coming back, along with the earwigs and slugs and all their nasty herbivorous kin. GA is looming.

The days get long and a bit too warm sometimes to make a body want to muster the energy to get out there and keep those green thumbs from turning completely brown. Too late. By this time of the month the annual apathy has set in. GA has arrived.

Screw the garden, we think. I want to go on vacation. I’m tired of looking at it. I know it needs weeding, much as the roses are screaming for fertilizer, not to mention being stripped of aphids. Oh well, they’ve been around for well more than a decade and haven’t bitten the dust yet. No, they aren’t showcase roses this year. No fanatical garden aficionado is going to have an inadvertent spontaneous orgasm by pondering the petals of our Peace Rose.

Garden apathy tells the home tender that there is always next year. It has all become too familiar. There can be such a thing as an excess of beauty and eventually it becomes tiresome.
“Sorry, honey,” Brad says to Angelina one year. “I know you’re very beautiful, but you have become so damn familiar to me that I just can’t muster the impulse any longer.”

OK, that may be a stretch, but you get my drift.

So, every year by August, the garden becomes a down-at-the-heels Angelina and it warrants only the barest minimum of effort. And such thoughts will likely persist until the seed catalogues arrive in the early spring, and then we can start all over again with renewed enthusiasm.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ha ha! I just walked past my weed over-grown side bed and thought, "oh, well." Now I know the syndrome has a name!

3:56 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

Beautiful picture! I personally had (thankfully, I can now say *had*, past tense), *had* eight plants in buckets for nearly two months. Thankfully, I planted four of them last night. Four more to go -- hopefully by Oct. The garden tour will most definitely not be coming to *my* house. lol!

7:48 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I'm starting to get the Spring garden apathy too! Luckily everything is perennial except my containers, so they do their own thing. Still the morning glory is climbing up things and I need to go do something about it.

12:03 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I just hope you can relax and enjoy the fruits of your labour now. I always regard a garden as an extension to the house, that it should be a haven of tranquility.
Enjoy!

7:55 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Meh, you're way better than me. I don't even have a potted anything on my balcony in town. As for the cottage - the woods have overrun whatever was there when we bought it.

8:53 AM  
Blogger Scarlet said...

I love the Brad and Angelina analogy. I wish I had more time to devote to my garden! Maybe next year. ;)

(BTW, I'm visiting from Geewits' blog.)

12:53 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I suspect we all suffer from some form of Garden Apathy.

3:47 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

if that's your garden in the pic, it looks beautiful.

8:24 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I, too, have been showing the symptoms of this ailment:

(1) increased time spent in lawn chair
(2) exhibiting apathy at loss of garden gloves, and
(3) temporary blindness when sight lines fall upon weed-choked vegetable beds.

8:58 AM  
Blogger we_be_toys said...

Oh chile! I have a rule about gardening - if it can't make it through the dog days of summer without my help, then sayonara wimpy plants! I am a displaced polar bear living in the southeast, so yeah, there's no weeding in July or August.
Perennials are a wonderful thing - you can plant them and say, "Good luck you guys - see you in September!"
If that was a picture of your garden, then I'd say its doing fine - there's green stuff with flowers, right? What else so you need?
(PS - saw your comment over at Chani's)

10:30 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home