Friday, May 23, 2008

Say -- you're not the boss of me


One of the advantages of working from home is that finally my life has unfolded so that I don’t have a boss. Well, I do have one boss, but that is myself, but he’s an incompetent and undemanding bastard, so he’s not that difficult to deal with.

I’ve been relatively fortunate in my working career in that I’ve only had two bosses that were genuine sons-of-bitches. The first was when I worked in a torrid temperature cardboard box plant once summer when I was in university. He was a controlling and nasty piece of goods. And, even though I was a diligently hard-worker, my contrarian nature balked at his attitude and genuine nastiness. On my last day of work that summer I told him in no uncertain and decidedly Anglo-Saxon terms what I thought of him. He was so taken-aback he could only sputter.

My other ‘bad’ boss was an editor I once worked for. Now, I will not take from his talents at the task; he was an excellent editor and a mighty creative guy and our paper, thanks to him, looked fantastic. The problem was, he was also deceitful, dishonest, mercurial, and adored having his assed kissed by ‘favorites’. I don’t do suckhole well at all. Consequently I knew I would be stuck in a put-upon mid-management role in perpetuity. He granted me my talent, but hated me for it, too.

But, that’s not bad, all things considered in a long working career.
I have also been a boss. Mainly at the aforementioned mid-management, soul-destroying level. Once, briefly, I was actual boss. Not ‘boss-of-bosses’, but CEO, if you will, of a rehab. Only problem there was the place was a non-profit. Non-profits are evil by their structure. Therefore, I had to answer to a board of morons and self-seekers. I really, really hated that.
Added to which, as boss, one has to deal with employees. That’s lousy. Sometimes you have to reprimand them, which I dislike. And sometimes you have to fire them, and that’s truly agonizing. It was for me, at least, and I’m not a softie. One guy I knew I had to fire was a person I knew elsewhere, and I genuinely liked the man. But, he was a putz at the job and highly unreliable.

Finally the day came. A day I had been dreading. I called him into my office and girded my loins. But, and this made me believe there is a God, or something. He said: “This isn’t really working out, is it.” Thank you, Lord. “No,” I said, “It isn’t.” And then he left, and we’re still friendly.

Anyway, as follows are the elements of a bad boss. Feel free to add some of your own.

Micromanagers: cannot possibly conceive that an underling might have an iota of intelligence or skill and therefore must control each and every move.

Egomaniacs: Must place a big smackeroo on left buttock cheek each time he or she has told you about another remarkable accomplishment by him or her.

Tyrants: Stride the world like self-perceived colossi wreaking abuse and havoc and fear wherever they go.

Narcissists: Cannot ever be wrong and will destroy any underling who challenges.

Sexual harassers: Feel that underlings are their chattels and must be groomed whenever the impulse strikes. The victims are rendered miserable. Harassers, by the way, can be found among males and females and also gays in authority.

Mercurials: The underling has no idea what mood el bosso is going to be offering on any given day, and he/she can change from Dalai Lama to Genghis Khan in a trice.

Addicts: Cokeheads and alcoholics are impossible to deal with, pure and simple, so don’t even try. They will regularly show all the aforementioned traits and the toll they take in business and industry is utterly staggering. Statistics bear this out.

What we maybe need is a combo of Mr. Dithers and Mr. Fezziwig. You know, firm yet fair. That’s probably the ideal. And I truly like being my own boss because I can be those things with me – or not. Who’s to know?

Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Who are you kidding, Ian? You have a wife.

And speaking of the gender of bosses, the best one I ever had was a woman. So was the worst.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I think I had a boss that fairly represented alll of those terrible features. Her name was Agnes.

9:50 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Oh dear I'm a micromanager. But was only the boss of one or two in my very early days before I turned into one. Most of my bosses were OK on the whole with the odd crazy moments.

10:50 PM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

you have covered all, and agree :)

9:33 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

Yep that pretty much covers it, except that you missed one, "Le louvoyeur". He's the boss who doesn't know where he's going and changes direction every time there's a slight gust of wind. You never know what he wants and you end up working for nothing... drives me crazy.

2:14 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

The narcissist sort of boss is my pet peeve. Why can't people just behonest when they ahve done something wrong?!

2:52 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I so agree. I have had all the ogre bosses you mentioned and was incredibly relieved when I quit, was fired, or otherwise removed from their presence.

I am not particularly servile by nature (that's a gross understatement, as anyone who actually knows me can attest,) so being in the work force was always unbelievably difficult for me, both as underling and boss. I balk at the very word "superior" when used in that context.

I am the boss I have always wanted.

8:42 PM  
Blogger Angela said...

So did you spend a lot of time on this one? Because it's tremendous! LOVED IT! The first paragraph and talking about sucking hole had me laughing out loud -- that and the fact that my daughter loves to repeat the headline of this post, contempt dripping from her lips while she speaks. Bless her. Thanks for the laugh, Ian.

11:12 AM  
Blogger Marianne said...

This was indeed very enjoyable, I laughed out loud at the thought of you being an incompetent bastard of a boss to yourself! I have had the micromanager boss, so bad that she literally sat behind me and commented on what was on my screen at any given moment.

12:26 PM  
Blogger Voyager said...

You have a caring, intelligent, darling man for a boss. I've met him!

6:31 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Voyager -- how wonderful to see you here. And the only way I can respond to your comment is to blush, shuffle my feet and say "shucks." Thank you.

signed: Ian's boss

7:50 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I think you pretty much have it covered. I figure I'm lucky, I've only had one really idiot boss in my life, and that lasted 3 months. I think he realized quite quickly I thought he was a moron and he decided it wasn't "working out"

5:27 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

Hmm, ive had some rubbish bosses, which is why I am stayingput as long as the team is the same.

8:12 AM  
Blogger Dita said...

Your new boss sounds like the "perfect" boss. Take advantage whilst you may.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

My last boss was pretty much all of those except the sexual harasser -- and I think he would have given that a go too except that he was gay and I, well, am female.

I sort of think micromanagers are the worst. People think it's being "hands on" but it's not and it gets totally old.

6:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I left my last job because I could no longer deal with the toxic administration - both my direct boss and the boss above her. One woman, one man - both evil.

3:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home