Monday, May 26, 2008

Boot cuffs and straight legs only, please

I don’t think my dad ever owned a pair of blue jeans. When he had to do dirty yardwork, or toil in his basement workshop, or paint a room, he wore a ratty pair of old suit trousers.

I suspect he associated denim with either suspect people or those who were forced to work with their hands, or, and maybe most importantly, juvenile delinquents like James Dean in Rebel Without a Cause or Marlon Brando in The Wild One.

In other words, people who were definitely not his sort and of whom he was immediately judgmentally suspicious.

I think I would have been shocked to see the old man in Levis. Ironically, he did have a blue denim jacket, which he regularly wore on weekends in chilly weather, but the pants part of the equation? Never. So, if he were to stride in bedecked in jeans would have been akin to finding out he dabbled in heroin on the side, or was picking up a few extra bucks by running a string of Bangkok B-girls. It just wouldn’t have happened.

It was all a generational thing, of course. While mess'rs Levi and Strauss and their garments can be dated back to the days of the California Gold Rush, the popularity of blue denim only gained vogue after World War Two. Within a few years after 1945, jeans became the costume of every youngster. My first pair of ‘long pants’, when I was about five (in those days boys had to graduate to the stage when they could wear long pants; I have absolutely no idea why, but that was the way it was) was a pair of jeans.

The blue denim garment and all it suggested entered the popular culture. Aside from the aforementioned Dean and Brando, there were such items of popular esoterica as:

The Swingin’ Blue Jeans (British Invasion group responsible for The Hippy-Hippy Shake)


Blue Jean Bop (song by the late and disgracefully underappreciated early rocker, Gene Vincent)

Blue Denim (Sexual awakening film from about 1958 starring the late Brandon de Wilde and the absolutely yummy Carol Lynley)

Dungaree Doll (a vocal offering by the really rather talented Eddie Fisher – Carrie’s dad – who sent his career into a tailspin by deciding to boink Liz Taylor)

Blue denim wasn’t restricted to males, of course, and females embraced the fabric quite early on, and certainly for leisurewear. There is almost a prototypical image of the postwar coed whom, if she wasn’t bedecked in poodle skirt (covering an impenetrable panty girdle), then she was in rolled up dungarees and bobby-sox.

For a while, the ‘blue’ of the blue denim syndrome became a bit old, and people graduated to denim of other hues. My preference was ‘wheat’, sort of half way between white and beige, and my standard costume during university years was wheat jeans and a navy blue turtleneck sweater. I later ‘lent’ that sweater to a lover and I never saw it again. I still miss the sweater, while I don’t miss her at all.

Then it all came back with the so-called ‘designer jeans’ a few years later. Those ridiculously expensive ones that Brooke Shields wore without undies – or so she suggested in an ad.

I never succumbed to such exploitation and always found the offerings by LS served me fine and looked better than any fancy-schmantzy ones. I’ve also had black jeans, brown jeans, and still possess a pair of wheat jeans. However, looking in my closet I see there are seven pairs of blue ones.

Personally, I think the jeans culture is too pervasive and I wish people would dress more appropriately when a situation doesn’t call for denim. On the other hand, it is a sartorial culture that has shown no sign of waning for over 60 years.

Sorry, Dad.

Labels:

15 Comments:

Blogger laughingwolf said...

lol pretty cool... i own but one pair of 'dress' pants

11:17 AM  
Blogger Dreaming again said...

I own one pair of jeans, and one pair of denim capri's.

It's odd, I was not allowed to wear them as a young girl. My sister was. But, I was 'daddy's girl'. As much as a tomboy as I actually was, he was determined to try to get me to be more girlie and at least get me to dress more feminine, even if I didn't act it.

So, it was not until after he died when I was 14, that I got my first pair of jeans for my 15th birthday.
I always figured that I'd wear a ton of denim based on being denied it as a child. However his determination to stick me in girlie wear ... stuck ... I'm a daddy's girl through and through ... and I'm pretty girlie ... and I have to remind myself to pull out the jeans.

12:12 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

Even in the '60s and '70s my mother balked at buying us jeans because of the pre-war image of 'commonness' and she was all about image. Must drive her crazy that one of her kids ended up working 'with his hands' on boats and the other two became flaky artists. Jeans de rigeur of course. As for Eddie Fisher's career I watched a documentary on CBCNW last night about the explosion of celebrity culture and how the tide has changed from scandal killing a Hollywood career back in the day to launching one nowadays. I'm still not sure what it is that Paris Hilton 'does' but I still rermember the sex tape scandal.

12:40 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

For some unknown reason I refused to wear jeans until the age of 14 when I finally realised if I wanted to be normal let alone cool it was time to hit the denim. I preferred corduroy knickerbockers. Feels good to finally admit that.

1:13 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I do love denim, but agree that a bit of dressing up is a nice thing too.

4:57 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I've only seen my dad in jeans once. He wears khakis when he's out in the yard. He also refuses to wear shorts, even in the summer heat.

I love jeans but they're so pervasive in laid back Los Angeles. People even wear them to religious functions, which still seems weird to me.

6:16 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

I didn't own a pair of jeans until arriving in Calgary when I was 34. I felt somewhat out of place pretending to be a cowboy in cords and tennis shoes.

Now I admit to owning several pairs (mostly be LS, but one pair of Wranglers for true 'English Cowboy" duds!)

Denim is pervasive but, just as with Lycra, I think it wearing it should be a privilege, not a right. The sight of acres of denim, or lycra stretched to the limits of its tensile stregth, is not for the faint-hearted.

7:07 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

My mother had the same attitude to jeans. They were for the 'poor'- not that we had any wealth to speak of, but like your father, she felt the denoted people to be suspicious about.
My husband has never, nor will, wear jeans. I like them, & will probably be wearing them until I die.

7:09 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I love my jeans...and my dresses and skirts too.

8:29 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

While they are incredibly popular with everyone these days, there are two holdouts in my family who refuse to wear jeans. My husband and my 45 yr old son. Even as a child he would not wear jeans and I gave up buying them for him. The old boy totally refuses too. They both prefer cotton chinos. Me, I have lots of jeans so I keep the manufacturers going strong.

10:59 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

I think it must be the most successful modern fabric every invented. And very lucrative for Levi's. I love it when I lost a bit of weight and those jeans hang lose where they should ;-)

11:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Levi's only for me, too. I have several pairs of blue jeans - hiphuggers and either straight or flared legs. Love them. LOVE them. (My Dad wears jeans all the time. Not my Mom, though.)

3:30 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I think the jeans culture is too pervasive and I wish people would dress more appropriately when a situation doesn’t call for denim.

I'm thinking if you own 8 pairs of jeans, you must wear them pretty much all the time too, like the rest of us.

6:17 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

How can I be so in love with certain pairs of jeans? They fit perfectly, they look great -- they transcend the label of mere 'clothing'. Jeans have retained that mystique of rebellion and ruggedness, even now.

10:04 AM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I grew up in dungarees which became jeans, and still wear them more than any other item of clothing.

By the way, I went to grade school (Coolidge School, Baldwin, NY) with Brandon de Wilde. He was a brat but of course I was shocked and sorry he died.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home