Tuesday, November 14, 2006

And the chocolate is to die for

I said I would be back if and when I got the chance, and here I am. Sitting in the lobby of our quaint little hotel here in Brussels, Belgium. It is a nasty, rainy day but that didn't stop us from going out, wandering around, paying another visit to 'Grand Place' (part of which is pictured here, those are the 16th Century guildhouses), which Victor Hugo described as the most beautiful public square in the world. Certainly the most beautiful I've ever seen, and Vic obviously felt the same way.

So, anyway, knowing we had friends we wanted to meet in Belgium, this is what we decided. It was a fabulous decision. Took us just five hours by train from Grenoble to get here, and such a contrast. I don't know what I expected in Brussels. I had few preconceptions other than Brussels Sprouts and waffles. It is a vibrant and exciting city with enough eateries on any given block to last a couple of weeks; enough haute couture shops to rival Milan and Paris, with prices to match, and chocolate that is truly to die for. Very cosmopolitan, a lot of Congolese people, a lot of Asians, and a lot of people who speak English moderately well, so it is very user friendly.

Anyway, friends, to keep you abreast of the travels, tomorrow morning it is the Chunnel from Brussels to London, and then to the Norfolk coastal town of Great Yarmouth, where I lived and worked 25 years ago. My first time back there since then. Should be interesting.

Did I tell you that Belgian chocolate was to die for? Yes, I did. But it's worth telling you again. Wish I could bring you all back some.

8 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

i'm emailing you my address now, Ian. surely you can bring some back.

teehee.

:)

glad to hear you're having such a wonderful time.

7:40 AM  
Blogger djn said...

Mmmm... Chocolate. Eat a piece (or two or three) for me.

By the way, Congrats are in order for Wendy. Nice accomplishment!

Twenty-five years is a long time to be gone and then go back. I hope it's a perfect visit.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Dear Aliemalie, would that I could bring you some. However, I think that it might be consumed before it was sent off to you.

Dear djn: I will indeed eat chocolate and think of you. And I will pass your congrats on to Wendy. Thank you.

8:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mmmmmm....tasty vacation!

5:46 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

oh, chocolate.... i've been craving some good, high-quality chocolate for a few days, and I've been resisting, but your post was the proverbial straw that paralyzed the camel. :)

I hope you have a nice time in Greater Yarmouth, after 25 years away, and say "Hi" to Johnny for me in Bath. Tell him, if he still wants that kiss from me, I guess he can have it, but he's got to fly to my house to get it.... *eyes rolling* You know how fickle those actor types can be....

:D

6:39 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Mmmm Brussels Sprouts.

You can keep the chocolate, but I'll have an order of sprouts!

Hope you time travel back is wonderful!

7:20 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Loved the picture! I can't wait to hear about the chunnel. Have fun visiting your old haunts.

11:20 PM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

I find belgium chocolate too much, but that may be because i have never been able to stop at one or too. Still prefer Thorntons. :)

5:24 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home