Tuesday, October 24, 2006

It's still a bit chilly up there

In my first transatlantic blog I made a flippant observation about global warming about which Aliemalie took some exception. It was based on my viewing of the astonishing Greenland Icecap as we were flying over at about 30,000 feet. Of course I am concerned about GW, and there is no doubt that much of the planet is milder and more benevolent than it was when I was a kid a couple of years ago. For example, outdoor ice-skating is virtually unheard of in coastal British Columbia these days, yet when I was a child (a couple of years ago, as I say) we had at least a couple of weeks of skating on a nearby lake virtually every winter. When my grandfather was in his teens (around the turn of the 20th century) the Fraser River in greater Vancouver used to freeze across to the other side, impeding shipping. An astonishing thought today.

Yep, so this tired old planet is getting warmer. I think where I differ somewhat is about causes of this happening, and indeed if there are any man-made causes. This is a mighty tough globe, and it has undergone major cooling and subsequent warming cycles throughout its billions of years. We are, in effect, still emerging from the last great Ice Age. Are hydrocarbons the villains we think they are in this process? Damned if I know. Damned if anybody really knows, or there wouldn’t be any debate on the matter, despite everybody’s protestations to the contrary. Maybe they are. Yet, do we really think that puny us in our great SUVs really have that sort of power? I kinda hope so, in a way. I’d love to see every Hummer-like behemoth blasted into oblivion, but that’s a personal bias. I utterly fail to see why anybody needs to avail him or herself of some piece of metal containing damn near 500 horsepower. But again, that’s my bias.

And now I ramble, but suffice it to say that if global warming really exists (and I believe the evidence is there) then adjustments of various kinds are in order. If our current warming trend is just a glitch, then all bets are off.

Otherwise, but on similar topic. I am yet to see an SUV in this part of France. That is very refreshing. I did see a Cadillac on the street yesterday. It looked vary out-of-place amidst the Peugeots and Citroens.

Finally, last night I actually slept the night through. It was heavenly, and I hope my inner-clock has finally adjusted to this time-realm. Of course, then in a month I have to do it all over in reverse order. Pain in the ass.

I’m enjoying daily marketing. It reminds me of when I lived in England a couple of decades ago. We have no fridge of any substance, so we are making do with the mini-bar in the room. But, it’s fun to pick up little products with which I’m not entirely familiar, and try them out.

No goddamn peanut butter yet, and I am going through withdrawal. Not amusing.

The travel diary will continue.

4 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

aww, Ian, thanks for your explanation. i agree with you on the SUVs and such, we have the same problem here and it sucks.

i had no idea you were a peanut butter fiend, so am i, heh. good luck in trying to find it over there.

:)
AM

8:55 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Global warming is very real and very scary. I learned to skate on outdoor ponds on Vancouver Island. And I taught my daughter to skate on Lost Lagoon in Stanley Park. It never freezes now. All this wretched sunshine here in the rainforest is making me very cranky. I find myself being curt with people when I don't mean to. We had one day of rain and it totally energized me.

If you are having peanut butter withdrawal, perhaps you could find some satay peanut sauce. It has a very peanut buttery flavor and it's wonderful on grilled chicken. If it's too spicy you can mix it with a bit of mayo and it tastes just like peanut butter. Yum.

Cheers,
Josie

9:47 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Peanut Butter withdrawal huh?
Sounds serious!

I suspect some delicious little escargots dripping with hot garlicy butter would fix that right up!

(you're right, it's not the same thing at all. But it sure sounds good, doesn't it?)

Cheers!

10:00 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

Peanut butter? That's freaking me out. Have some wonderful cheeses instead. Too bad you can't enjoy the wines.

We need more pictures!

10:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home