Thursday, November 09, 2006

Louis XIV and Donald Rumsfeld. Nope, no connection

As a Canadian I probably have no right to be expressing opinions about the political happenings in another country. But, since what happens in the US impacts all the rest of us, what the hell, I’ll make comment. Actually the comment refers to a specific matter, the sacking of Rumsfeld. Oh, I know they say he resigned, but face it, folks, he was fired.

This, of course, leaves us with the question, which is, why did George W. wait so long? The writing was on the wall for ages, in big bold letters. Writing that basically stated: “Get rid of the sonofabitch if you value having any political future!” But, he didn’t. He defended the man and the operation of the war. How so? It boggles the mind. Rummy’s continued presence not only confounded the Democrats, it confounded many Republicans, not to mention a lot of military brass. So today George W. has to accept that fact that his continued loyalty to that guy cost him the election. He woke up this morning, turned to Laura and said: “That $#@%^ cost me the election! That &*%$# cost the Republican Party the election!”

I suspect the only people who don’t hate Rumsfeld today are the Democrats. He was the best political ally they could have had.

Now, away from politics for a while. Yesterday (cold definitely on its way out as far as I can tell) I took a trip to the Musee de Grenoble. Actually, it’s not really a museum, it’s an art gallery. A lovely, modern and spacious art gallery. I grew up in a big city, but have lived for years in a mid-sized town. I realized as I wandered through the various chambers how much I had missed such places. Not that we don’t have art and artists where I live. Indeed we have some excellent ones. But, you know, call me a snob if you will, but the idea of looking face-on at a Matisse, a Picasso, or even a Warhol was a bit thrilling.

Aside from the moderns, the works in their permanent collection from the 16th and 17th centuries were amazing. Huge oil paintings in which one could stare at Louis XIV face on in an artwork that looked like it was painted last week. I had to take myself back and think the actual Louis (the original Louie-Louie) posed for this thing.

It gives a body pause for thought, it does. It makes one think about how fleeting life is and how our personal problems that seem so monumental to us will be of no consequence to future generations. What troubled Louis XIV, aside from making sure Mme. de Pompadour wasn’t hopping into somebody else’s bed, I have no way of knowing. I mean, how bad could it have been to be an absolute monarch? Well, his successor a couple of generations down the road, Louis XVI found out, but for old Number one-four life must have been pretty cool.

Cooler than it is for Rummy, or George W. these days.

5 Comments:

Blogger Hageltoast said...

i still maintain that if i was monarch of the whole planet everyone would be happier, except ignorant, mean people and people who don't use their indicators when they are driving, and people who bitch about bus stops, all those people would be shot, but everyone else would be happier.

10:05 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:03 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Fired or not,I bet Rumsfeld is actually relieved to be leaving that sinking ship of a government.He sure made a mess of it.

But if he's lucky, his role in the whole mess will gradually be forgotten as he lives relatively unnoticed in comfortable retirement. Politics having a notoriously short memory and all.

By the way, I'm glad you're having a great time in Europe! :)

3:33 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I did a double-take when I saw the breaking news alert in my inbox that Rumsfeld was stepping down. I think I even yelled at the monitor: "What??! Now?!" But enough about him.

The art gallery sounds fabulous. I wish I were there!

6:20 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Ian, as a matter of fact, as a U.S. citizen, I love an outsider's opinion on our politics. That's why we read "The Economist."

When we travel we try to visit the major art museum in that city. Our favorite so far is The Corcoran in D.C.

spider girl: When you said that about politics having a short memory, I thought you were going to say "and great retirement packages."

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home