Thursday, October 26, 2006

Quelle politesse

Something I must confess is that I like France and the French much, much more than I had anticipated. I guess my problem was that I was confusing the French with Parisians -- a grievous error of the sort that would equate Londoners with all the folk in the UK, or New Yorkers with Americans. Great cities all, but cities have attitude that stems from gut-level survival instincts.

Among my observations include the fact that the people of the Grenoble area are very polite compared to what we North Amrericans are used to. Polite and gracious. My God, how civilized. "Bonjour Madam, or Monsieur" whenever one goes into a shop is the order of the day. The customer is expected to respond in kind, and generally does. It's nice. Polite and graceful, but never pushy, never overtly familiar, and the suggestion is to not get overly chatty with somebody to whom one has not been introduced. Don't be throwing a big bear-hug on somebody you've just met. You will cause much discomfiture and confusion.

The other thing I've noticed is the quiet. Nobody is noisy. No raucous laughter. No hooting or yelling anywhere at any time, even in the hour when the bars let out. Just imagine standing on a busy city street and not hearing the 'thump-thump' of a , vehicular boombox from three blocks away, long before the youthful driver is actually abreast. In fact, I haven't heard any loud speakers -- either human or electronic, period. It's heavenly. so
The people here are quite dark of both complexion and hair, and much more Italianate in appearance than are northern Europeans. The females, especially the young females tend to look like sisters in the same family, so similar are their appearances. Dark hair, lean faces, slim and -- ahem -- ample bosomed. I only made such observations in the name of social science, you understand, not for any salacious reason.

I walked past a grade school today, and on the street side of the school is a fabulous cartoonish mural of various aspects of school days, beautifully and whimsically painted. And, get this, not one tiny scrap of graffiti defacing it. I marvelled. This is not to say that there aren't smatterings of graffiti around, but the mural is obviously sacrosanct.

Anyway, dear friends, that is about where I am on day 6 of this sojourn, so I thought I would fill you in.

9 Comments:

Blogger kimber said...

I was/am very fond of the graceful ettiquette of the French countryside.... oh, I miss France! It sounds like you're having a wonderful time (and, all in the name of social science, but of course!)

4:52 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Wow what time your having! Lucky u :)

5:49 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

ya, the french aren't bad. i never can understand why americans hate them so. anyhoo, glad you're having a good time.

:)
AM

6:59 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

How lovely! Makes me want to go check it out...I, on the otherhand, just returned from Bakersfield, California...you're jealous, I'm sure :-)

Have fun!!

8:33 PM  
Blogger djn said...

Weird, I commented yesterday but Blogger must of ate it. LOL

I liked your description of the quietness of where you are. Rich & I will have a quiet weekend with all the kids away for a few days. Aaawwww... It will be lovely.

7:16 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Yeah, Europe IS a much 'quieter' place in general I've found.

Except for the wrrrrrrr'ing of the omni-present Vespa and the little honking noises they make.
But that's kind of small potatoes compared to the giant grumble and blare of a hummer.

10:48 AM  
Blogger lightfeather said...

It simply gets no better than that, does it?

6:32 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

My daughter and I found the Parisians very friendly, oddly enough. A couple of the shop keepers even invited us to their homes for dinner. It was completely the opposite experience that we were led to expect. So I agree, the French are very polite.

Sad news... Denny Boyd passed away on Friday. The end of an era, n'est-ce pas?

Josie

10:19 AM  
Blogger Moof said...

"The other thing I've noticed is the quiet. Nobody is noisy. No raucous laughter. No hooting or yelling anywhere at any time, even in the hour when the bars let out. Just imagine standing on a busy city street and not hearing the 'thump-thump' of a , vehicular boombox from three blocks away, long before the youthful driver is actually abreast. In fact, I haven't heard any loud speakers -- either human or electronic, period. It's heavenly

Ian ... you've made me love France! *LOL*

4:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home