Tuesday, November 07, 2006

La grippe ou la rhume?


In the first place, let me suggest there is absolutely nothing 'common' about the common cold. My cold is quite exceptional and it's markedly uninspiring.

My nose runs at Niagara volume, and I have a charming hacking cough and then at night, that is the most fun part. That is when my nasal passages stuff up with some sort of concrete rendering breathing with the apparatus with which one is supposed to breathe impossible.

Consequently, I awaken three or four times a night with a tongue of sandpaper and a devastatingly evil taste in my mouth. I'm only too glad I don't drink any longer because an 'overindulgence' tongue on top of that would be simply intolerable. Nasal sprays don't work worth a damn for me because I overused them once following an earlier cold so now I've built up a tolerance to them.

So, the other day I went to la pharmacie and asked in my inept francais what would be good for this affliction. They gave me something called Humex Rhume. I'm not sure if it's working, or maybe the cold is just running its course and I would be where I am in any case.

As I said, I am getting better, and I am getting out and about, such as the day trip to Annecy the other day, but there is still more I want to do and to have the sense of wellbeing to do it. I gaze out the hotel window at the lovely French city below me and all I can think is that I want to stretch out on my couch at home (my haven) and watch daytime TV. Daytime TV in English, if you please. God, I'd even watch self-aggrandizing Oprah and the insufferable Dr. Phil, which gives you some idea of how irritating this all is.

All I would like now in my recuperation is to just feel even, oh, 98%, and then I might have little more zest for this all.

8 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

sorry to hear you're not feeling well, but at least you're in Europe!

hehe.

hope you're back to being 100% soon. and always remember, drink lots and lots of water.

:)
AM

7:52 AM  
Blogger Hageltoast said...

bummer, colds are evil!! hate them.

8:30 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

Aw, having a cold is bad enough, but having such a dreadful one on a grand trip like that is even worse.

Alas, I suspect there's nothing for it but time.

10:09 AM  
Blogger djn said...

Your cold truly is exception. I have to agree with Tai at this point... time -- give it time.

1:04 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I'm sick too and reading this made me appreciate being on my own couch while I am sick - something I guess I just take for granted. I hope you feel better soon.

Drinks lots of liquids.

11:22 PM  
Blogger Hopalong Cassidy said...

It must be "irritating" to be in Europe and not feeling well. But
as for willing to be home to watch Oprah and Dr. Phil, you must be more seriously ill than you realized, delirious probably.

10:41 AM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Glad your feeling better..I've also been sick with a cold, spent so much friggen money on cough medicines, boxes of kleenex etc..Now I'm at the annnoying clearing the throat every 5 mins stage.

Sat I have my apt for the Flu Shot.

6:50 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

converse shoes
longchamp handbags
lebron shoes
kyrie 5 spongebob
moncler jacket
hermes online
yeezy boost
hermes handbags
kobe sneakers
supreme new york

4:32 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home