Sunday, October 29, 2006

Voila! La beurre d'arachides! C'est magnifique!

I did it! I found peanut butter! George Washington Carver's contribution to the general betterment of humanity can be found in Grenoble, France.

We were deep within the town yesterday and we happened upon a goodly-sized supermarket of a sort much larger than the food merchants we had frequented since our arrival over a week ago.

"They might have peanut butter," I said to Wendy.

"I hope so," she replied. "Then I won't have to hear about it any more."

We went inside and went to the shelves containing jams, jellies, honey and that wretched Nutella crap, and there it was. Way down on the bottom shelf, hunkered in lonely fashion off in their own corner were two little jars of Skippy.

Yes, I know it's only Skippy, and Skippy is to good PB what a Yugo is to a BMW, but at least it is peanut butter, and this beggar wasn't about to go choosing. In a pinch even Skippy will do, and I'm sure they haven't heard of Adam's in these parts. That's OK. I just feel a little bit more at home now, un soupcon more secure.

Speaking of foodstuffs, there are places here known as boulangeries, and there seems to be about four on every block. Contained theirin are the most erotically, decadently salaciously tempting morsels one can conceive of. There are mousses, and charlotte russes, and petits fours, and little cream puffy things, not to mention croissants that literally melt in the mouth, and all of them even for a tolerable price. I am trying not to gain pound after pound, what with walking every day. But, if I do, I do. When I get home they won't be available and I'll have to endure the grief.But,

I'll also have Adam's au naturel PB, so life has its tradeoffs.

4 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

that last half of your post got cut off, Ian. i saw boulangerie and then my computer refused to load the rest of the page. or maybe it was my brain that refused to encode. hehe. i am soooooo jealous.

i hope you bought both jars of Skippy. i was beginning to wonder if those of us over here in North America shouldn't band together to send you weekly care packages of peanut butter just to keep you sane.

:)
AM

3:47 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

You, sir, can keep peanut butter. 'Tis the breakfast spread of the devil. *shudder*

Still, glad to hear you found some, and that you're having a grand time in Grenoble. As a vegetarian, I really ought to eat peanut butter more often (good source of protein) but I'm afraid it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

10:12 PM  
Blogger djn said...

Mmmm, peanut butter. For lunch most days, I usually eat a handful of nuts (Rich likes it when I say that - LOL) but today I may just wander over to Whole Foods and get some yummy peanut butter and eat a couple of spoonfuls. Yuh - uum!

Hey, you won't be there for forever, go ahead and gain a couple of pounds. You'll no doubt regret not trying certain foods and honestly, it's not that hard to lose 5-10 pounds. You've lost 30 before and have kept it off so this would be nothing. I'm the master of losing a quick 5, so if you need help, I'm there for ya!

6:44 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

Ian I guess you are not familiar with Google Earth. I asked for about where you are and you said:

"We are in the southeast, sort of southwest of Geneva Switzerland, and just about due east of Lyon, and north of Nice, Monte Carlo, etc. Good luck in finding it."

With Google Earth all I need is a city, country and any boulevard nearby to get a clear bird's eye picture of the area. Or even just a zip code.

10:50 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home