Saturday, November 11, 2006

I'm a movin' on from here


So, this offering is to be my last from Grenoble and, depending on WiFi or internet connections elsewhere, it may be my last until I get home to Canada. You’ll just have to wait and see. Otherwise, I’ll just have to undergo withdrawal from all my blogging friends whom I’ve come to love and cherish. Some of you I have actually even met face-to-face, but I am sure my fond regard would also translate that way if I were to ever meet others of you at some distant point in time. I think you can tell a lot about a person by what they want to discuss in these pages.

So, yesterday Wendy finished her final exams and is a free agent and therefore, so am I. So, we are now going to vacation for a couple of weeks unfettered by anything other than our budget. We have weighed in the balance the costs of various excursions we had considered and I have already (with regret) negated a trip to Tuscany at this time. So, tomorrow we are going to get the crack TCF train and head to Paris, then Lille, and final destination, Brussels. We have friends living near Brussels and are looking forward to seeing them briefly.

After a couple of days in the Belgian capital our plan is to take the ‘Chunnel’ to England and spend nine or ten days there. Since I lived in the UK for a year, many years ago, that won’t be too much of a transition. I want to take Wendy to Great Yarmouth, where I lived – at another time, with another person, long-ago and far away, as the old song goes.

And then I have an adored cousin who lives in Bath in the southwest. One of the most appealing and poshest towns in the country. She pointed out that Johnny Depp is living just a few doors down while he is making a film in the area. Maybe we’ll go and hang out with Johnny and find out the real goods on what a cokehead Kate Moss is, since they were once an ‘item’.

But, yesterday, I took my formal leave of Grenoble by venturing down to the oldest part of town, with its 13th Century church and 16th Century Parliament building. It was a wonderful reminder of what a sojourn in Europe must include for those of us who live in such a relatively ‘new’ part of North America. I include pictures of both these structures.

I'll miss Grenoble and probably won't fully appreciate the experience in all its nuances until I'm well away from here. I've found travels often work that way.

Anyway, I do hope to be back in this space soon. Cheers.

4 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

you'll be missed if, indeed, you cannot post.

but have a fantastic time traipsing across the rest of europe. if you've never taken the chunnel, it's great fun. just make sure to pop your ears. sooooo, take care, Ian.

:)
AM

1:11 PM  
Blogger djn said...

It sounds like you finally beat your cold too so that's good news. I hope it stays gone. Enjoy the rest of your journey. If you should see Johnny Depp, flash him the peace sign for me.

5:29 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

You will be missed BUT we're fortunate in that we know you'll be blogging away in your head as you go.

Always looking forward to your interesting and insightful posts...and congrats to Wendy!

Yours in Victoria,
Tai

8:06 PM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

kool...looks and sounds like you are having a wonderful time

1:48 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home