Wednesday, June 04, 2008

It's all a state of mind -- isn't it?

Response to Junior asking about his inheritance

“You know what I hope?” I said to Wendy the other day.

“No, what do you hope?” she asked, not looking up from her knitting. Actually, she wasn’t knitting at all, but I thought the idea conveyed a nice and homey image. I don’t think she knows how to knit.

“I hope I don’t become one of those boring old geezers who bores people to death with their stories. You know, the ones who go on, and on, and on, and on, and just never know when to stop even though the eyes of everybody in the room are glazing over and they are desperately looking for an excuse to leave. Know what I mean? I mean, seriously, know what I mean?”

“I’m sorry. I wasn’t listening,” she replied.

Actually, I fear many things about getting old, and becoming a bore is just one of them. Another inexplicable one is that odd propensity of certain males to wear their trousers above the waistline. Where do they get those pants with the really long crotches? Anyway, this is all uncharted territory for me. But, in spite of any denial I might want to call upon, signs periodically pop up that the old celestial clock is moving forward, whether or not I like it. Just like everybody else, I am getting older by the minute. I had a sign just yesterday.

Chatting with a clerk at my local supermarket. She’s a person I like to chat with as she is chatworthy, and very easy on the eyes, and charming and has an incurably infectious giggle. About 35-ish, I would guess.

“I love the smell of Certs,” she said, as she was stocking the confection shelf at one of the checkouts.

“But,” I said, “Is it a candy mint, or is it a breath mint?”

“Huh?” she replied, a look of bemusement on her pretty face.

“You know, like the old TV commercial: ‘Certs is a candy mint – Certs is a breath mint. It’s two, it’s two, it’s two mints in one!’. You must remember that.”

“I don’t remember that,” she replied. Then she uttered those heedless words: “I think it must have been before my time.”

Feeling a bit crestfallen, I continued with my errands in the store with just a little less spring in my step.

On the other hand, there is hope. In fact, if popular culture attests to anything (and I rarely think it does), then old fartdom is the new chic. Oldsters are not only vital and interesting, they’re also sexy. I like to keep that thought in mind. It helps me through trying times, like my Certs moment, though I do hope the word ‘codger’ didn’t cross her lips when she was recounting the tale to some of her young colleagues later.

It is indeed an interesting time in terms of human longevity and ages that were considered ‘old’ when I was a kid aren’t regarded in the same way. The response now in hearing that somebody of, say, 75 has died is: “Gee, that’s not very old. How sad.”

Look at some of our cultural icons. Harrison Ford is still slashing through jungles and is regarded with credibility and as a ‘hunk’ even though he is surely pushing 90. Well, I do know he’s older than I am, at least. The Rolling Stones are still the best damn rock-and-roll band ever and Keith has been dead for years. My former student Kim 'Samantha' Cattrall is 50 and is deemed to be sexy. Madonna is the same age as Kim, even though she is no longer ‘like’ a virgin. Deborah Harry is in her 60s, as is Helen Mirren, who still inspires untoward thoughts in males of many ages, and so on and so on.

At the end of the day we carry on and the key to it all, and this I do believe, is to ‘think’ young, but take advantage of whatever maturity we might have acquired along the way.

Now, before this becomes tiring and boring, I shall end it.




Labels:

16 Comments:

Blogger Casdok said...

Well if Harrison Ford can do it im sure you can!
AS you said its all a state of mind.

11:16 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Harrison Ford is no hunk in my book, and actually a bit ridiculous as Indiana Jones now - but hey, that's just me.

I know one person in particular who goes on like you describe. Stories go on forever. I really don't care if such and such's brother's wife's sister's, mother-in-law's third cousin twice removed turnd left instead of right while going to the grocery store.

I told Mr. Jazz that the day I tell my first such story is the day he must shoot me in the head. With a shotgun. Double barreled if at all possible.

11:40 AM  
Blogger kimber said...

To quote someone (Groucho Marx, maybe?), I don't mind getting old, considering the alternative.

11:48 AM  
Blogger Dita said...

That is the best picture eva'!

12:28 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Uh oh - I remember that certs commercial!

12:29 PM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E8zwnXjIjPM

With a sparkling drop of Retsyn!

And I'm still laughing over your line..."and Keith has been dead for years."

1:02 PM  
Blogger Tanya Brown said...

Nicely written!

I, too, got many a rueful chuckle from this piece.

2:17 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well, all I know is, every time I get i.d'd I'm happy.

And since you asked, that was just yesterday!

(You're only as old as the person your feeling. Isn't that it?)

4:41 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Sorry Ian, you lost me there.....Only joking! Your blog topics are always timely and interesting and not usually skim-read-worthy, fear not... Now if you'll excuse me I've got to get back to my knitting.

5:28 PM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

Encounters like that, with the Certs thing, makes me feel sorry for those young people. They are so out of touch with good history!! lol Really though, I'd rather have our childhood years than a childhood in the 80's or 90's. Those kids only know video games and bad music and .... they have no idea, many of them, what it is to just go outside and play in a forest or mud. So I look pitifully on them myself. lol Makes me feel better :)

If it helps, my Mom was 70, with maturity of 70, but joy and outlook and physical energy and strength of say...50. She was always younger in spirit. We don't all get old like the geezers. :) So have faith.

8:29 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

Where Angels Fear to Tread...

My son has offered a mercy killing for me.
We just have to work out the particulars...

1:37 AM  
Blogger Antipodeesse said...

Hello Ian,

Sorry it's taken me so long to reply to your kind comment. Better late than never!

Your post is HILARIOUS. I shall walk around with a spring in my step all day.

5:23 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

ford will be 66 this year...

i wanna be a curmudgeon, that way most people will leave me the hell alone! ;)

'growing old' is unavoidable, 'growing up' is optional...

5:42 AM  
Blogger jmb said...

At the end of the day we carry on and the key to it all, and this I do believe, is to 'think' young, but take advantage of whatever maturity we might have acquired along the way.
My modus operandi for sure.
One of the things I like about being online is that we are judged by our thoughts and words and not our grey hair and wrinkles (in my case, that is).

9:02 PM  
Blogger andrea said...

I've been "one of those boring old geezers who bores people to death with their stories" since I was about 18.

9:45 AM  
Blogger Dumdad said...

Great post, you old codger! God bless The Stones for their longevity. Jagger's face looks battered but he's as thin as a rack.

I do get those moments with my kids sometimes when I've had a beer or two and I say, "Did I ever tell you that story about...."

"Yes, several times daddy!"

"Well, it's a good yarn and worth repeating....."

It's worth remembering that some people were boring old farts in their twenties...

11:09 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home