Thursday, May 29, 2008

Hello -- you must be going

Filberg Lodge and Park in my town of residence. Not all that nice, really, so don't bother buying property here

“How dare you? Just leave us alone and don’t start flooding us with your poltroonish 'more money than brains' retirees.”

I was mentally responding in an ungracious manner to a supplement in a Vancouver newspaper a week or so ago that was advising Vancouverites about all the wonderful places in the province in which they could build ‘retirement’ homes. My community was amongst those suggested.

My advice is, if you have the wherewithal to be considering a retirement home, and can still afford to live in a city that boasts (?) among the highest real estate costs in the world, then go and build your retirement home in Maui, or Palm Springs, or Yuma, or the South of France. I don’t want you here. I don’t want this place to become ‘popular’.

I don’t want you here, even though your building or acquiring of your retirement home will boost my property values (OK, that’s a nice spin-off) for a number of reasons. They are:

* At least half the population of Alberta has already built retirement/recreation homes here. They are lured by the fact that they have all this money to somehow spend in this lifetime, and because we have a much nicer climate than they do. Most places have a nicer climate than they do.

* This burgeoning population is non-productive and brings nothing to the community. True, it brings jobs in the tourism industry. Shit jobs, ‘McJobs’, but nothing that would encourage a local resident to seek such employment and raise a family.

* This non-productive sector, at the same time, puts a huge demand on the infrastructure: roads, water mains, hospitals, and so forth. The only element it doesn’t put a demand on is schools. That’s mainly because those who are raising young families have been forced to leave and seek their fortunes in places in which they can earn a living.

* The demands for retirement dwellings by the uitlanders has resulted in a collective orgasm for developers, contractors, realtors and city and town councils (who see their tax base expanding, but are generally too stupid to realize the increased largesse will all go into infrastructure costs), and hence all sorts of fine pastoral and wooded lands have been turned into boring, uninspiring, sometimes butt-ugly tract homes and condos that are outrageously overpriced. Hey, if you wanted your retirement to resemble the staggeringly uninspired suburban octopus of greater Calgary, why the hell didn’t you stay there? I wanted to use a stronger word than ‘hell’ in the previous sentence but I restrained myself.

Anyway, that is my rant about that, but there is another theme I want to throw in here.

In conversation with a friend yesterday I said that we were thinking of going to Hawaii in September. He noted that he and his wife were going to Maui in August. He asked about our destination. I replied that it would be Kauai.

“I’ve never been there,” he said. “Is it nice?” Well, by their very nature, all of the Hawaiian Islands qualify as “nice”, but I decided I wouldn’t praise it to the skies. My reason being that I love Kauai and I don’t want to see hordes of tourists spoil its relative ‘unspoiledness’. It’s mine, damn it, so I don’t want other people going there. There is a virtue for me in that it’s not on the radar of everybody.

I like to visit underrated destinations.

A year-and-a-half ago, after three weeks living in France we went to Belgium. Belgium had never been a destination for me, and it’s not a place on the primo list of anybody visiting Europe. We were going to meet friends there, and that was the only reason we were going. Quite frankly, I thought that Brussels was a fabulous city. It was urbane, sophisticated, a great arts centre and the food was to die for. The coronary-inducing chocolate truffles alone made it worth a visit. Yet, it’s still unspoiled.

When I lived in England a long time ago, I lived on the coast of Norfolk, near Great Yarmouth. We found that even a lot of English friends knew nothing about Norfolk. That gives high marks to Norfolk; virtually nobody goes there, and especially North Americans don’t go there. Again, unspoiled and completely charming in its own way. I loved it.

We went to the Cook Islands instead of Tahiti, which is right next door. It costs about a tenth to stay on Rarotonga over what it would cost to find decent digs on Bora Bora; and yet the beauty is on a par, the climate’s the same, and the people speak English. Later I heard that cruise ships are now stopping at Raro. What a pity. It will no longer be ‘mine.’

It’s not that I’m antisocial; I just don’t like to be crowded. I like to visit places while they are still ‘real’, much as I want my community to stay ‘real’, and it can’t with all the interlopers.

I must add that in the foregoing diatribe, I do not mean that any of my faithful, or even faithless readers shouldn't come here. You'd love it. I am only directing this at 'others' not family. You people are family.


Labels:

19 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I prefer more undiscovered spots when I can, but also want to see some of the places that are popular for good reasons. But year after year I return to a sleepy little family-oriented town in south Georgia because it hasn't been all built up and become a super-popular destination. Yet.

1:42 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

Can we start a rumour that this lovely little place is infested with zombies? Do you think that might keep people away? It's worth a try....

1:54 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

An excellent idea, Kimber. You start it and I'll disseminate it in the media. Work for you?

2:50 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

Thanks Ian- *books trip to Kaui* - yay! I can confirm that Norfolk is indeed God's Own Country, and the rest of East Anglia's pretty great too. Sshhhh!

3:49 PM  
Blogger meggie said...

I have never been to Rarotonga, but some of my favourite people have been native Rarotongans.
I know what you mean about unspoilt places. New Zealand has many.

5:21 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

Well I'm not planning on moving there you understand but might come by for a visit. Is that all right if I spend my tourist dollars there and make the merchants happy?

6:15 PM  
Blogger Vic said...

There really are Zombies here. They sit on the council and say "baaa" when the developers call.

9:19 PM  
Blogger Liz Dwyer said...

I hope they don't invade your neighborhood. There's no escaping crowds here in LA, but given that folks have such a sheep mentality and will go to where they think they're supposed to, it's actually easier than it might seem to get away from folks. It just takes a little work to figure out where to go instead. Fortunately for you (and me), most folks are lazy and won't investigate!

9:27 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I'm glad you qualified your rant in that last statement - specially since I already live here :) (originally from that cold Alberta some 20 years ago...) I do agree though that these smaller towns are quickly changing because of retirees.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

Ohmygosh I TOTALLY get what you mean. When The Boyfriend and I travel, we are like "Where does everybody go around here?" and then we set off in the other direction. Works for us!

3:36 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

could not have said it better myself ian

it's the same with books i read, once they become 'name' writers, everybody and their dog climbs on board [good for the writer as it means more $$$] but then he/she is no longer 'my' writer....

4:26 AM  
Blogger beachgirl said...

Ian I am with you on the unspoiled spots.

My favorite poem is :'The Road Not Taken" By Robert Frost. It speaks volumes. When I travel I ask the locals where they eat and go there. The trendy tourist places are not my style.

We have watched the sprawling retirement areas take over Florida. It's non stop down here. With no end in sight.

Have an awesome weekend.

5:31 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Whoa! And here I was thinking I couldn't retire to Comox... Thanks for accepting me, luv.

Belgium is highly underrated. I love Belgium (ok, it helps that we have several friends there). Belgians are much more relaxed and cool about life than the French.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Leslie Hawes said...

I love a new word! Poltroon.

People can't wait to retire to Arizona! They come for the 105 degree days in the summer, and stay on for the large scorpions and plate sized tarantulas, the packs of coyotes and wild pigs on the patio, not to mention the mountain lion by the pool. Oh, and the black widow spiders, and the rattlesnakes, and the spikey ruthless cactus that double as shrubbery.
What else? Oh, the way your skin adheres to the blazing hot steering wheel of your car, and how the paint blisters off your vehicle as soon as you drive it from the car lot...
Come on down! We'd love to have ya...bring your 85 SPF sunscreen...

(did I mention that I write copy for the Chamber of Commerce brochures?)

12:08 PM  
Blogger heartinsanfrancisco said...

I so agree. It irks me when I go to a lovely, unspoiled beach which is largely deserted to enjoy the solitude and sounds of nature and then someone comes along and parks right next to me with boombox, volleyball net and a case of beer.

I am not a pack animal, and I prefer to enjoy such places in relative seclusion. Once an area becomes an "it" destination, much of its appeal is gone. Instantly.

10:11 PM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

You've certainly travelled around. I wonder if your house prices are taking a dive like ours are right now.

3:27 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

How right you are Ian, we always try to go to places that are "unknown" to the tourist trade. Off the beaten path is our mantra and we have visited some fantastic places that were almost empty of tourist crowds. The only people that are there are usually like us, seekers of peace and quiet.

12:13 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

"Poltroonish"

new word added to my lexicon,

Love it.

8:29 AM  
Blogger Echomouse said...

I'm with you on this sort of thing.

I hid my fav hiking spot from others for years because it was a hidden gem of a forest.

It bothers me that McDonalds is everywhere nearly worldwide. It bothers me that crossing the border no longer feels so different from being in Canada. Everything is too much the same. I like places that are the way they've always been.

Then again, I don't fly well so I can't go far usually. But I read a ton and look at museums all over online. That helps.

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home