Monday, June 02, 2008

The curse of everlasting travel

There is nothing worse for mortals than a wandering life.
- Homer, the Odyssey


Well, there wasn’t really all that much point in Homer traveling, what with his being blind and all. Couldn’t see much. But, seriously, I think he has something of a point. I say this from the perspective of one who has traveled and wants constantly to do more wandering before my days exploring this sphere are done.

Travel, it is said, is “broadening”, and it is. Travel educates and it increases tolerance and some of the more bigoted people I’ve met are those who ain’t never gone nowhere, nohow.

“I hate the French!”
“Why?”
“Because they’re rude and arrogant and just assholes.”
“Have you been to France?”
“No.”
“Do you know any French people?”
“No, and I don’t want to.”

Now, if you spend some time amongst the French, you will surely find some rude and arrogant people (they generally work in railway information booths), and you will find some charming people. Just like anywhere else.

I did my first major traveling when I took off for Europe when I was 24. I wanted to leave when I was much younger, but financial and educational considerations prevailed at the time.

So, I spent a very long summer amongst the English, Scots, Irish, Dutch, Germans, Austrians, Italians and Swiss. It was tiring and challenging and I wouldn’t have missed it for the world. On a railway platform in Munich I fell into conversation with a young woman who I decided at the precise moment was the most stunning creature I’d ever met. She was from Michigan or Minnesota or someplace and she asked directly if I would like to go traveling with her. “Yes please!” said my heart and my loins – OK, especially my loins. But, “Sorry, but my wife is with me. She’s in the restroom right now.” I knew I’d gotten married too young, and later events proved that to be so. But, that’s another tale. Wonder whatever happened to the beauteous Michigan/Minnesota lady.

What happened from that trip is that I was left with the residuals of life-changing event Number One.

The life change left me with the realization that I could never be sedentary again. I would always ‘itch’. In that I must say that I love my home, and always love returning to it. But, once I’m there for a little while, I want to go again. Wanderlust is like heroin (I imagine, not that I’ve ever indulged) in that it feels wonderful, and then gets debilitating, then the ‘rehab’ of home is sought, but then another hit is needed, and it starts again.

Life-changing Event Number Two came in 1980-81 when I went to live abroad for a year. This one was even more transfiguring than the first LCE in that I didn’t much want to come back at the end of the year, especially after having become embroiled in and entranced by a liaison with a wonderful English lady during my twelvemonth next the Norfolk Broads.

But, I came back. I missed my dog.

But, that overseas sojourn, which also involved newspaper work in a foreign land, left me even more disquieted.

Consequently, following that, my life, and life with subsequent spouses (both of whom have been possessed of itchy feet) has been one of hitting the road as often as time and finances permit. We’ve been to Europe, to Hawaii many, many times, the South Pacific, Mexico, and all over the place in the US and Canada.

I notice from reading the people on my blogroll, I am not alone in my love of travel, and I probably chose people because they are similarly afflicted.

It is indeed a curse of sorts because I know this mild discontent will always be with me and won’t cease until I take that last big journey. But, as curses go, I suppose there are worse ones.

Meanwhile, for those of you who are traveling right now, I envy, and sometimes resent you just the teeniest bit because I want to be with you.

Labels:

10 Comments:

Blogger andrea said...

Argh. Thanks for whetting my appetite. I am pathologically restless. I think you either have it or you don't. I knew at age 19 that I'd rather work so I could travel than do the de rigeur post secondary route. I spent several months wandering Europe before settling to academic life. What was the first thing I did after finishing uni? Got oin a plane even before convocation. Only having kids in my thirties settled me, but only on the outside.

5:57 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

September (I think that's when you said something about visiting Hawaii again)will be here before you know it Ian. Then we can be jealous you're the one off wandering somewhere...

7:51 PM  
Blogger jmb said...

I, like you, hit the road when I was 24, off on my European/English excursions. Over the years I have travelled many places but it's not as much fun any more. I hate all the time you have to spend in airports, often much more then your actual flight itself.
I like summer here but I'll be off again when Fall comes.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Marja said...

Hi my whole family has the travel bug. It enriches you with wonderful memories and you learn so much. I miss Europe just because of that. You are so close to so many countries with completely different cultures. But next year.....

12:07 AM  
Blogger laughingwolf said...

'rolling stone...'

seems i'm one, as well

4:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey! I lived abroad in 1980-81 and it changed me, too! What a fantastic coincidence.

I think people are either inclined to find folks in other plcaes interesting/likable/warm or they are inclined to fidn them rude/arrogant/unkind. The "where" of it is almost irrelevant. And those of us with the bug fall into the first category.

6:00 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I discovered travel when I hooked up with Mr. Jazz. I'd always wanted to travel, but circumstances got in the way. He on the other hand had feet so itchy it was impossible for him to stay in one place. I've traveled a lot with him since then, and though we have slowed down a bit, we leave as often as we can.

9:44 AM  
Blogger Laura Jane Williams said...

Try this on for size: I hate being stuck in one place too long but I get homesick like nobodies business for the first week I am away somewhere. Go figure!

2:36 PM  
Blogger Synchronicity said...

sayyy who is that handsome man there? i must say that i am not well traveled mainly because i have no money to travel and i do fear airplanes. but i can dream of it and perhaps you can take your readers to all those special exotic places. where shall we go first?

2:47 PM  
Blogger Marianne said...

I must say I'm not a natural traveler (can't sleep, get motion sickness, catch everything) but LIVING somewhere different is really starting to grow on me. Constantly being slightly out of context and having to reinterpret everyday life occurrences is a great training for the brain, and I hope for life. Thanks Ian, another great one!

3:40 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home