Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Having nothing better to do, I came back

I am now in that mode that strikes me every time I've been on an extended journey and that is one of relief for having made it home safely, and one of huge anti-climax for having made it home, and for it all being over. Combine that with jet-lag, and I mainly want to escape in sleep. All quite understandable.

Equally understandable is that all the things that irritated me in my home community before I went away still irritate me. Funny how you forget that stuff when you get some ever-so-slight yearnings for the familiar. And what you forget is that familiarity does breed a certain contempt, and that was why I, or anybody else for that matter, goes somewhere far afield.

Anyway, yesterday at about 5:45 p.m. UK time we got on the big BA jumbo at Heathrow and took off for Vancouver for the 9-hour flight. The Heathrow onslaught earlier in the day went amazingly efficiently to the degree I was actually impressed.

Anyway, dear friends, I will soon be coming to visit you at your blogs, and I will also do a more elaborate post-mortem, but right now I just want someone to soothe my fevered brow and to put me to bed -- in a literal sense, not in a more enchanting metaphorical manner -- I think even 'that' will have to wait at this point.

Anyhow, I have formulated some thoughts that I will, as I said, share with you later when I get over a full 24 hour day of having to function 'in transit'. A day that began with arising at 7 a.m. in our Greenwich hotel room, catching the commuter train into central London; hiking our bags through city streets as we went from Charing Cross Station to Leicester Square Station to get the underground to Heathrow. It all went well, blessedly -- and here I am!

Back to you soon, folks, and I will come to call. Now that I have unlimited time here -- unlike in Europe, I will be able to browse at leisure and with pleasure.

5 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

glad you made it home safe and sound with relative ease and no more fire alarms.

:)

4:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am glad you got home safe - and I cannot wait to hear more!

7:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad all went well with the trip home. Get lots of rest.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hullo! Thanks for all the posts from your trip. I too am back to blog-reading after a spell of travel. Trust all goes well! Best, rama

1:04 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that feeling of being home again. For me, there's a feeling during every trip where I can't get home fast enough. I always have a good time on my trips but I crave the familiar. Glad you're home. It was fun to get to take the journey with you!

10:55 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home