Saturday, November 25, 2006

London is all that it ever was

They say that if you stand in Piccadilly long enough that eventually you'll run into everybody you've ever known. Well, I tried today, and I only ran into seven people I'd ever known. Most disappointing. Mind you, there's Eros over there, and I have known him on occasion, and have never regretted an enounter. Well -- maybe a couple of times with a couple of people.

I came back, and I’m glad I did. After about five days in blogger doldrums, I am once again connected so I can offer, for those who might be interested, a bit of an update on my travels. We are currently in London and London remains a place that, despite whatever troubles it might have, remains one of the truly great cities of the world. We’re just back from a terrific day of exploring, in the case of Wendy, and re-exploring in my case, such favorite features of the place as Covent Garden, Soho, Piccadilly, the excruciatingly posh shops of Bond Street and much more. We are staying out in Greenwich where they make the ‘mean time’, as opposed to the ‘cruel time.’ Although I personally tend to find the passage of time more cruel than mean at moments. Consequently, we made the trip to the West End by water on a Thames catamaran, and came back the same way. It was great travelling the river like Henry VIII did.

Anyway, I’ve missed you all and am glad to be here for a time. We only have two days left, and fly back on Monday when we will undergo the rigors of Heathrow Airport. Fly back with some regret, and also some delight in being with home and hearth for a while.

Anyway, a brief update. Left Great Yarmouth early in the week and travelled to Bath, as I said I was planning. I was still undergoing the rigors of a nasty sinus infection, which was taking much pleasure from life. So, I broke down and coughed up 30 pounds to pay for a doctor, and it was the best expenditure I’ve made in a long while. Within a day the thing was on the way out, and within two days I was actually feeling ‘well’ for the first time in quite a while.

Bath was as beautiful and Jane Austenish as it was when last I visited the place more years ago than I would care to remember. A truly exquisite city. I was also able to link up with my adored cousin, Angie, whom I only get to see about once a decade, but it always seems like just yesterday when we parted when we throw our arms around each other. All was good and we were also invited to their home for a home-cooked meal, our first such in over a month.

If I get a chance tomorrow, I’ll blog again. Otherwise, I’ll be back here when I return to Canada.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the sinus infection. I hope you will have a lot of pictures for us, and I hope your flight back will be pleasant and uneventful.

12:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home