Monday, July 24, 2006

Misty musings from out of the blue

I was sitting watching Cold Case last evening. I like that program -- it is amazingly superior to unrealistic pap like CSI -- because it follows a formula of moving backwards and forwards between the origins of a cold case incident, and present tense. Last night's was the tale of a debutante who met a nasty end, and the ongoing theme music for the sad tale was a beautiful rendering of Henry Mancini's Moon River, very popular at the time the tragic and sad events transpired. Well, the music damn well took me back, so unexpectedly. It felt like the most beautiful piece of music ever -- very romantic, and very bittersweet. It was slow-dancing with someone one loves and it was a stage of life when everything was laid out for the future, and we all wondered what the future would bring us. And, damn it all, I got very misty. I almost felt a bit ashamed as my voice cracked as I quietly sung the lyrics:

"Old dream-maker, you heartbreaker,
wherever you're going, I'm going your way.
Two drifters, off to see the world. There's such a lot of world to see ..."

A few weeks ago Cold Case ran an episode that revolved around a returned Vietnam War POW who was deemed to have been a coward who sold out his fellow prisoners. It explored his anguish, and his death at the hands of the grieving son of another soldier who died in the camp. Again I misted up. It was so sad. And, of course, the episode was punctuated by the music of the era. But, that was my generation, too, and I found myself there.

I've been having a lot of sentimental moments lately, I've found. It's kind of odd. I don't know if it's my age, or where I am in life, or a response to losses I've endured -- and I have had a few of those. It's nothing to do with being unhappy, for I am not. But, sometimes, where I am today seems alien to me. It feels disconnected from what went before. All the plans and schemes I once had were fulfilled in assorted ways, but they now seem alien -- and so long ago. Yet, in other respects it seems so recent, too.

At an earlier stage in my life I disdain sentimentality. I saw it as cheap, mawkish and false. And, a lot of commercial sentimentality is. While I wasn't cynical at the time, I just could not understand how people could get so emotional over things I didn't find worthy of my drawing on my reserve of angst. I found the worldwide dismay and anguish over the death of Princess Diana nine years ago to be vulgar and self-indulgent. As tragic as her story was, or at least as tragic as her demise was, I didn't know her. I couldn't breastbeat over her. She was a lady who met with an unfortunate accident. The type of accident that happens every day of the week. So, to me, the outpouring of emotional tears at that time was nothing more than sentimentality.

That's different, and it is as different as the dichotomy between 'sentimentality' and 'sentiment.' Sentiment is honest; sentimentality is contrived. But, what I am finding is that offerings that are rife with sentimentality are now evoking sentiment in me. I move beyond Moon River in the context of the TV show, and relate instead in what that moment in time means to me. I personalize. That's weird. I have never done that before.

Yesterday at the beach I was talking to a little girl who had just turned nine. Sweet lovely child. She was visiting my community to stay with her grandparents, as Grandma explained. I simply found myself to be enchanted by this child, and that put me in mind of my stepdaughter who was around the same age, and even a bit similar in appearance, when first I met her. And I just felt a big sense of loss within me. She and Grandma then moved on after stopping to chat, and I was, in a way, relieved. I could get back to time-present. I tell myself that is better.

Anyway, what I would conclude by saying is, don't count on the way you 'think' you feel. Emotions have nothing to do with an intellectual process.

8 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

That is so bizarre. I watched that same Cold Case last night, and when I heard "Moon River" I was transported back to when that song was popular, and I was imagining dancing with someone. I thought it was the most beautiful music I had ever heard. I felt very nostalgic. I looked out the window at the dusky evening and thought about my life, and about the person I was imagining dancing with, and I felt very moved.

"We're after the same rainbow's end, waitin' round the bend, my huckleberry friend, Moon River and me."

11:47 AM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

I'm another fan of that show, too. Also, I watched "American Dreams" before it was cancelled. I liked it because I was the same age as the girl in the show and could relate to a lot of her angst. And the music! Well, I was back in the mid-60s.

2:19 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian, I've been getting "drawn back" into the "misty recollections" of my past a lot lately too. I'm not sure if it's age, or recent events which have proven to be exceptionally affective, and sometimes even disturbing.

I didn't see the show you mentioned, but your telling of how it influenced you brought to mind my own recent unexpected incursions into emotionally charged memories.

Music appears to have an amazing capacity to alter time and space ... and so do certain scents. Lighting, like the way the sun hits the trees in the summer's midday haze, seems to have the same power over me; it makes me think of ponds, and dragonflies ... laughter, and being small enough to not care about anything but the moment at hand.

It's always a treat to have the time to come over and see what you have to offer us, Ian. Thank you.

6:49 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

"All the Things You Are" by Ahmad Jamal can invoke those feelings in me as well. It's very pretty and very cool.

Gosh, sometimes I sound so boring...

10:33 AM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Feelings just are...we can't judge them. I think I understand what you are sharing...I feel like that too sometimes when I miss my oldest son (the first one to fly the coop) Something will hit that reminds me of my time as his "Mommie" and, although he only lives down the street, I miss him in way that reminds me of how precious that time was...and now it's gone. Music brings these feelings up quite readily for me - I just can't "go there" with music that I find even remotely sentimental.

4:33 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Your last line is SO wonderfully written.

6:37 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

For some stupid reason I can't get that song "Moon River" out of my head. It just keeps playing over and over. As Holly Golightly would say, "golly, gee, damn..."

10:52 AM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

Hey Ian, where have you been? No new post for a while - not like you. I do enjoy your ramblings.

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home