Monday, July 10, 2006

You may experience some discomfort

Younger people are blessed in a number of ways that we of an, ahem, 'mature' generation are not. Not the least of which is that most not only have all their teeth intact, but that the odds of remaining denture-free until they close the box (or whatever that process will involve in, say, 2068) are pretty good.

Not so, we of an earlier time. I only know this because over the last few months I have had to endure a number of costly and relatively unpleasant procedures that are reflective of the incompetence and archaic processes that passed for dental care at an earlier time.

I was reminded of that this morning as a friend, of around my age, came into Starbucks where I was enjoying the cardio-shock of just a basic cup of coffee (don't confuse me with all the candy-coffee-confections; I want 'joe' and Starbucks makes joe with spurs on), and was complaining of some dental grief he had undergone over the weekend. We then got talking about dentists of our respective youths and childhoods.

"By the time I was about 15 I just quit going to the dentist, and didn't go back until my late 30s. God, am I ever paying for it now," he said.

Not that his teeth don't look just fine. Not that mine don't, either. The ones the public sees, that is. Nobody, fortunately, has to see the back end of my mouth or his, with the abominations that passed for dental work, or the frankly missing teeth, that render chewing difficult, and also trash the digestion.

His childhood dentist, he said, was not only a hack and butcher, but also a drunk who wafted booze breath into his face, regardless of time of day. Mine was a hack and butcher (who did not believe novacaine was necessary except for major extractions), and also a lecher who fondled his (always pretty) female assistants to a degree that would land him in jail today. It should have then. Even when I was a kid I figured out that each time I went, there would be another hot assistant. I guess a woman can only accept a creepy old guy putting his hand up her skirt for so long, regardless of what the employment picture is in her community.

Anyway, my friend's story was the same as mine. I quit the asshole in my teens, and never went back until I too was in my 30s and toothaches got so unbearable that I would literally pace the floor at 3 a.m. trying to make the pain go away. There is nothing so unrelentingly awful as toothache. It just won't go away. By day my teeth looked great, and I had a good smile, at night they crucified me. I would soak cotton balls in vodka to anesthetize the bad tooth. Eventually, I would just drink the vodka. Not a particularly prudent thing to do, considering I had to get up and go to work the next day.

Anyway, at that time I found a 'good' dentist. A modern dentist. He was (and is, since he is still my dentist) wonderful. He did the best he could for me. He saved whatever teeth he could, and made the rest just look smashing. His equipment and techniques are ultra modern and so painfree I am staggered. I have had very few moments of even discomfort with him over the years. He was, on the other hand, aghast at the atrocious dental work I'd had in my past.

But, I still pay the price (literally and figuratively) of years of neglect that arose from neglect spawned by professional incompetence. My dentist told me that the number of middle-aged people whose story matches mine is huge. When they finally do show up at his practice, they are not only in pain, they are fear-ridden to the point of fainting in the dental chair.

So, all I can say is the contemporary world may be rife with troubles and problems, but we should all feel blessed by the skills of modern dentists.

No, this was not a prepaid announcement by Canadian or American Dental Associations, but a heartfelt thanks for what they do, and a lingering bitterness about the incompetence of their predecessors.

11 Comments:

Blogger Leslie: said...

I, too, have lingering bitterness about my childhood dentist. (and his assistants!) Once I was told to "sit still or this instrument will go up your nose!" I was always terrified to go but my Dad would be saying things like "Cry and I'll give you something to cry about!" Subsequently, I only went when I absolutely had to. I did faint in the chair once, when a filling had fallen out and I had to go to a "strange" dentist when we had just moved East. Finally, I have a dentist (young woman) who is very kind and skilled in new procedures. I still feel a bit of apprehension when I go, but once I'm there I seem to be okay. AND the office doesn't SMELL of that horrible "dentist smell" that I'm sure we, of that age, remember all too well. :D

1:23 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:31 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Leslie, I forgot to include that horrible clove-like dental smell, not to mention the good old spit-sink where you could watch your blood go down the drain and feel even queasier.
Josie: You and me both about the metal detectors, my dear. Yeah, fake a dental appointment. Sounds like a plan. Who is going to check?

1:55 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Well, like most other things...I'm also fearless about the dentist.
But it's probably because I didn't have any problems till I was in my 20's and then it was only a minor cavity.

2:40 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

Bad dentists are terrible. For a really weird reason - one I won't go into here - I have to have a lot of dental work done. Finding a good dentist, even in this day and age, is hard to do. There are some really bad ones still out there.

One thing my town DOES have going for it though is the fact that the US's best dental school is here so we have an abundance of good - and cheap if you can become a guniea pig - dental care.

:)
AM

oh, Ian, side topic - a friend of mine will be attending UBC next spring on an exchange program. Cool, eh? I may visit on my trek across Canada next late spring/early summer as I interview at grad schools. Will keep you updated. :)

2:56 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

Speaking of the spit-sink, Ian, remember how you'd spit and spit and spit and it would keep coming and you couldn't break the spit off? LOL

5:06 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

Gosh, I really feel you on this post. No one could say it better!

My kids, also, are of that younger generation. Lucky them. :-)

Kudos to contemporary dentists who are artists. Jeers to the old-style dentists who were hacks! I'm still traumatized!

8:05 PM  
Blogger Lowry said...

Let this be a lesson, kids - brush, floss, and GET A COMPOTENT DENTIST.

9:07 PM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

golden goose shoes
kyrie 6 shoes
hermes
kyrie irving shoes
hermes
nike shoes
air max 2019
nike kyrie 6
coach outlet online
yeezy boost

3:20 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

moncler
off white nike
golden goose outlet
supreme clothing
yeezys
curry 4
nike cortez
kevin durant shoes
kyrie 5 shoes
timberland outlet

4:21 AM  
Blogger yanmaneee said...

steph curry shoes
curry shoes
kobe byrant shoes
kobe shoes
yeezy boost 500
hermes online
curry shoes
off white shoes
hermes handbags
yeezys

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home