Thursday, July 06, 2006

Science nerds keep us from growing up

The experts are at it again, but in this case I tend to agree with the findings. The findings suggest that western peoples are becoming increasingly immature and that is because societies value "whiz-kids" and encourage us to remain mentally childlike in order to do our jobs.

So says a British a psychiatry professor. Dr. Bruce Charlton of the University of Newcastle says that we stay in school longer than our parents, and far longer than our grandparents. At a later time we bound from job-to-job rather than settling into a career. Consequently, we are costant adapting to new roles, new technologies, new homes and new friends. That is, those who are mature enough to actually find a home of their own, rather than bunking with Mom and Pop until they are damn near fifty.

All these trends force us to avoid growing up, Charlton says. "In a psychological sense, some contemporary individuals never actually become adults," he continues. "Whiz-kids dominate mainstream culture."

Using scientists as an illustration, Charlton suggests that outside their labs or classrooms they sometimes tend to overreact, fail to understand non-scientific topics, or just seem a bit goofy. In other words, Charlton is suggesting The Nutty Professor is not really such an exaggeration.

A character like Gil Grissom on CSI exemplifies this perfectly, in my esteem. Brilliant mind, brilliant at his task, and an utter failure as a grown-up human being. He has no real friendships, and is like a schoolboy when faced with any opportunity towards a sexual relationship, and speaks in tiresome aphorisms rather than engage in genuine conversation with another human being. His counterpart, Sara, is even more juvenile. She is a middle-aged woman who pouts like a schoolgirl when things don't go her way. She has even fewer adult social skills. It's never been made clear whether we are to respect these people for anything other than their lab skills. On the other hand, dear old Lennie on Law&Order was a full-fledged grown-up.

Charlton goes on to say that humans have always had initiations that marked the point where we reached adulthood. Until recently, people finished school, they got jobs, married, and had their first babies at about the same age as all other young adults had their first babies.

No more. Among educated people, marriage and child-bearing are often spread out over two decades. Furthermore, we increasingly obsess about youth, and he cites that we consider the highest praise we can give an older adult is that he or she is so youthful (youthfulness being seen as a virtue) rather than being venerable and wise, having acquired the sagacity of genuine adulthood.

I was speaking to a female acquaintance the other day; somebody I'd known since she was a teen, and hadn't seen in quite a while. She told me she had just become a grandmother. "How can that be?" I said. "You're a lovely young woman. Grandmothers wear shawls and smell of lavender. At least my grandmother did." She laughed.

But, it is true. We encouraged childishness to persist. An employment organization in my community, of which I was once a director had a special youth-oriented job seeking and training category, open to young people between the ages of 16 and, wait for it -- 29! Twenty-nine isn't youth! I would have been mortified to have been considered a youth at 29. At 26 I was English department chair at a large high school. In that I wasn't an anomaly. I owned a home at 30, and had already been married and earning my own living for years and years.

I'm not saying that makes me better, but it did make me, at least in some respects, an adult and wanting to do adult things. The thought of living with my parents at that age would have chilled my blood. Would have chilled theirs even more.

We had a basic rule at my house. Once you had education sufficient to be able to keep yourself, then "don't hit yourself on the ass on the way out the door."

15 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Hmm...I feel a bit cheated. I feel way too grown up for 28. ;)

5:07 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

I know exactly what you're getting at. I have 2 daughters, one of whom couldn't WAIT until she was "adult" enough to move out on her own and earn her own way. She moved out at 19, married at 22 (I thought she was too young), had a baby at 27, and now owns her own home at age 30. The other one is still at home at age 26, "finding" her way. Now, I do have to give her some leeway, as she has suffered immensely from the loss of her father at the age of 12 and subsequently, unlike her older sister, was unable to "get over it" until recently. However, she seems to have found her calling now and is on a management track where she is employed. She's looking at the price of apartments in various locales of the city and is planning on moving out within a year. I have to admit I'll miss her (at times) 'cuz she has a fantastic, dry, and witty sense of humour and is highly intelligent - I've even learned from her! (Oh, in case you think I've given her everything - NO - she pays a fair rent to me.)

So...one child like "our" generation and one like the "new" generation of youth until 29...I still can't figure them out. I dreamed of leaving home and having my freedom, even though I had to pay my own way. Do we make excuses for our kids these days, saying it's so much harder out there and so much more expensive to pay your way? I don't know because I brought up both the girls the same way, telling them that when they finished school and had a job, they were OUTTA HERE! Great posting today, Ian!

5:31 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

yo! Ian, check your email.

:)
AM

6:43 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

I agree that as a society we are valuing immaturity more and thus, fostering it more in all those growing up. While this has it's virtues it also has it's detriments. Just like any coin, it has two sides that are not mutually exclusive nor is either side better than the other. Long live Peter Pan!

7:37 PM  
Blogger djn said...

What kills me is when I see a corporate consultant who's about 21-years old. I dunno, I'm sure I am old school in some regards but I think the term "consultant" should carry a few years of experience under your belt as well as education.

As for me, I feel like I did grow up too fast, like ME. I had two kids by the time I was 25, which is nothing compared to some people I knew at the time.

8:54 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:18 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

My, oh my. I suppose I'll be the minority voice here.

I've been spoiled in the sense that I've always known from day one that I could take as much time as possible to complete my degree, travel a bit and find what I wanted to do and I'd have the full support of my family - mainly just my mother. Just yesterday I spoke with her about continuing my education this fall with a couple more undergraduate classes even though I'll graduate in August. She's agreed to allow me. Why? Because she knows it'll help with grad school and I am bound and determined to go to grad school.

Am I immature? Far from it. I do work, though not enough to completely support myself. Am I capable? Sure. Could I get a job that would allow me to be completely self sufficient? In a heart beat. But why not take advantage of something put out on the table by my mother to allow me to succeed in further further down the line? I'd be stupid to turn my nose up at it.

I know I'm spoiled, I've known from day one that I have more opportunities than most people: financially, educationally, travel wise. I wouldn't give any of it up simply so that I could be "grown up."

I think it depends on who you talk with. I have friends who have been self sufficient since the day they graduated from high school and on the other hand I also have friends who are turning 30 this year who are still living at home. I think each person's situation is unique to them and shouldn't be judged by one measure.

Commence the flaming.

:)
AM

9:02 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

Oh, and by the way - I've had TONS of fun not being a grown up if you're measuring by having babies, owning houses and moving out. Just let me list off the places I've traveled to ...

Again, each person's measure is different.

9:05 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

When my daughter left home to go to university we did not have much money, so she worked almost full-time to help pay her way, and she still managed to pull down top grades (winning several scholarships including the University Governor's Fund Scholarship in graduate school). She maintained her own home (complete with a cat), bought her first car, and she and I travelled to London, Paris and New York together. And she managed to meet a nice fellow and get married. She's now a speech pathologist and a clinical instructor at the University of British Columbia.

I still say it's more fun being a grownup.

10:20 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

I still say you can't measure someone else's standards by your own.

11:03 AM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

I worked my way through university as well as receiving scholarships. That was 1965-69 and again 1974-75. My parents paid nada! Not even the train ticket to go home in the summers to work. However, they didn't make me pay rent while I stayed with them in the summers.

Now, AllieMallie, as long as your Mom is happy with your arrangement, that's perfectly fine. But, IF she is giving up anything that she wants out of life in order to help YOU further enhance your life, then perhaps you should think twice about taking advantage of what's she's put on the table. Everyone's happy? Great! Maybe one day when your education is finished, and you're making a fantastic living, you could repay your Mom by taking her on a nice trip or something. Just my humble opinion (one of the grown-ups).

11:15 AM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

Oh, and by the way, you CAN have tons of fun being a grown-up because it doesn't necessarily mean having babies and/or owning a house.

11:17 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

I've spoken at great length about the fact that my education has been completely funded by others. To begin with, I had a mutual fund set up for me when I was 3 by my grandparents who own a farm in the midwest. They gifted me with 2 cows. Those two cows had offspring and when they had a steer (male), they'd sell it for beef and put the proceeds into my mutual fund. When the offspring was female, they'd keep the cow and allow it to reproduce as well. I was charged (if you could call it that) each year for feed, labour and certain other incidentals that came along with having a herd of cattle. When I turned 16, they liquidated by herd and poured the proceeds into the mutual fund which had been growing for 13 years by that time. You'd be surprised at what a $400 investment in cows can bring you in 13 years when invested properly. So far, I've been able to travel to Australia, Europe once and pay for nearly all of my college education on that mutual fund. The other two trips to Europe I was forced to fund myself. Small price, I know.

Anyway, in the past three semesters, that fund has dried up for a multitude of different reasons: draining it for school, lack of a good economy/stock market - so my mother has stepped up to the plate to fill in. I was never expected to fund my own way through school.

Let me make this abundantly clear: I know I have it really, really good. Am I taking anything from my mother that she wouldn't readily give? No. Like I said, we had a continuation of this conversation yesterday and she's all for me going to school yet again in the fall.

Now, let me also say that I qualify for pretty much all the financial aid made available by the US government, I could sweep scholarships I applied and I'd still be left with a very large chunk of change in a mutual fund that would allow me to have more exotic trips, or pay for a down payment on a house or pay for grad school. Oh, and on the grad school note, I AM expected to front every cost that comes at me from it. My family will put nothing towards it except emotional support. My mother has said I'm fully capable of paying my own way should I choose to go - which I am. However, back to the financial aspects of my undergraduate degree. I took a long hard look at what was available to me in terms of familial finacial support and what I could possibly be awarded and took the route of my family having planned for this because it means that someone else who isn't as lucky as me in terms of financial ability can use the money that I could have taken and go to school as well.

So, with that being a bit of background on my going to school and "not growing up" and "depending on my family (mother)" maybe you have a clearer indication about some of the choices I've made.

I still say that you can't judge ANYONE by standards other than their own for quite a few situations. This is one of them.

:)
AM

12:21 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

Ian,

Sorry for making your comments section a debate hall. I just get a little irked when maturity is measured by a few aspects instead of an overal analysis of personality and situation.

:)
AM

12:26 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Dear Aliemalie, Josie and Leslie: Thanks folks for turning this into a dialogue. I think bloggers should do that more often, and you all raise excellent points, as do several others. I see I opened a can of worms here. Great. Actually, the shrink who offered the original premise opened the can of worms, but I happened to agree with much of what he suggested. But, Leslie makes a very good point when she says maturity doesn't have to mean raising babies or owning houses, it comes from within. Aliemalie, meanwhile, you are gaining hugely experientially, and that is an excellent facet of maturity. And, Josie, you have an absolutely blessed mother and daughter blend that is exquisite, mature and an intergenerational interraction that is superlative. You are mature and your daughter is mature, and what could be better. There, that's my two bits, and bless you all.

12:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home