Monday, June 26, 2006

Women read and men fidget


In the July issue of Esquire there is an excellent, albeit disquieting article by Tom Chiarella called 'The Problem with Boys' in which he discusses in considerable detail how our schools and universities are failing to deal with the achievement and ambition deficits of young males, and maybe how those failures are reflective of a greater difference between the sexes than we have been prepared to countenance heretofore.

Chiarella cites such distressing statistics as the fact that 37 percent of 12th grade boys are scoring below basic levels in their studies, as opposed to a mere 15 percent of girls being in the same inadequate category. Today only 42 men for every 50 women go to college, and that the male voting rate has declined by 16 percent. More chillingly, five times as many young males as females commit suicide, twice as many males abuse alcohol in the 18 to 29 age group, and 95 percent of state and federal prison inmates under age 25 are male.

As a journalist and former high school English teacher, there is something I've noticed for years that directly indicates a gender difference that we see every day, and probably don't think much about. Go to Starbucks, an airport departure lounge, beach or poolside and observe the women, some of them young, immersed in books. I was in a coffee bistro the other day, having a solitary cup, and looked at the 25-ish woman sitting alone at another table. She was reading. Not reading a magazine, or newspaper, but a book. My thought as a male (and I am an inveterate reader, by the way, and have been all my life) was, how can you do that? Why would you do that? Why would you go to a public venue and pack a book along with you? And she wasn't reading some glossy piece of summertime nonsense. Her tome wasn't a cheesy potboiler, but a 'real' book. I could tell by the cover, even if I couldn't read the title from where I sat.

The best place to observe this is where people are forced to undergo a wait of some nature, like the aforementioned departure lounge. Check out the number of women, and even girls, who are quietly reading. Watch the men. They are impatient. They tap their feet. They pace around. They'll rapidly sheaf through a newspaper or magazine, but not really read anything within. They'll scratch, they'll yawn, they'll look at their watches, sigh with exasperation, attempt to engage their reading partner or spouse in conversation, without success. But, the one thing you will hardly ever see them doing is reading -- actual book reading. Oh, our male friend probably has a book with him. It's packed away in his luggage. He wouldn't think of leaving it accessible in his carry-on. It just never crossed his mind. He likes to read well enough (we can hope), but he probably reads like I do.

As I say, I have been actively involved with using the language for my entire adult life. My life is writing, and my life is reading. Always has been, as teacher and scribe. But, I honestly never, ever think of reading except at a specific time. That is when I am horizontal. If it is a quiet Saturday afternoon and I am a bit weary, I will haul out one of the books I am working on (there are usually at least five in this category), stretch out on the sofa, and read. I will last for 10 minutes, and then I will doze out, and that is the end of it. I also read at bedtime. I must read at bedtime. I couldn't sleep if I didn't read at bedtime. But, that's it. On the john reading is important, too, but that is usually a magazine. Books are for horizontal time.

Yet women I've known, have been with, have been married to, can pick up a book any old time, and they can read anywhere. Even a dental appointment calls for lugging the book along. My book, on the other hand, is on the bedside table, and that is where it rests until the end of the day and is put into use.

Perhaps one of the reasons for the disenchantment of male students, and Chiarella hints at this, is that our colleges and universities do not address such a fundamental difference between the sexes, and that college courses are often structured to accommodate the female majority rather than addressing the wants and needs of males where are, needless to say, different. Not better, not worse, but different. I think reading habits illustrate this fundamental difference.

10 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Yes. Reading makes all the difference. Trust me on that, reading does make all the difference.

However, I might be biased. I only buy a purse if it'll hold a book (small paperback, minimum). God only knows when and where I might want to read. :)

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

I cannot fall asleep unless I'm reading. And then I fall asleep with my light on and I wake up (at 5:10 a.m.) with my light still on and my book beside me. I'm lucky if I can finish an article in the New Yorker in one night.

I have posted some new pictures if you want to drop over and see them....

12:41 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I love reading.
To me it is an 'active' activity.

Reading is the enchantment of other worlds, and I'm walking through each one of them!

4:24 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

I'm getting worried that my eyes don't hold out as long as I want to read. All winter I read professional stuff, but as soon as the holidays hit, I have a pile waiting for me. Patio reading is such pleasure, I take a book along to the doctor's office (there's always a wait), to the airport of course, and anywhere else I may have an opportunity to get a few pages under my belt. I've also always made it a point to read at least one "classic" or "older" novel during the summer. One year I read "Who Has Seen the Wind" and it remains to this day my all time favourite book.

5:07 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

I lurv to read. On a plane, in a car, waiting for an appointment, between classes, in bed, lazy afternoons - you name the time, and I can usually be found reading. For me, I definitely think this stems from the fact that I never had - and still don't have - a TV while I was growing up so reading was the entertainment I was given if I didn't want to go outside and explore.

I think you've hit the nail on the head, Ian. More women are ok with reading - especially in public - than men.

I will confess though: when I'm in a coffee shop, or waiting for a plane - both fantastic places for people watching - I will use my book as a disguise for people watching. It's so much easier and so much more acceptable to stare and watch people when they assume you're engrossed in your book. If there's one thing that can draw my attention away from the best plot ever, it's human behaviour.

The truth is ALWAYS stranger than fiction.

:)
AM

6:03 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Ian, I haven't been able to read a book in a year..My concentration is just not there...I'll stick with the mags instead.

Many times in the coffee shops people are now with laptops..I hardly see any book reading...How crazy is that! The sign of the times I suppose.

6:50 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

My whole family reads. Some of the most romantic dates I have ever been on invlovled my husband, a picnick blanket and a good book under the trees.
On the other hand - although my children do read, my youngest still loks at it as a bit of a chore. While we were packing for our school camping trip a few weeks ago I asked her if she thought we would have some free time during the campout so I could read a book that I was reluctant to leave behind. She replied, "Oh, Mom, this isn't THAT kind of school campout...you wont HAVE to read!"

7:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I did that just today ... brought along a book a friend sent me: "The Power of Now" by Eckhart Tolle. I was hoping it would make my blood pressure lower at the doc's office ...

... didn't work ... >;o)

9:14 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

i think it starts even when we're little children. as a young girl, i was read to, as well as being the reader to my mom and siblings. i remember it would be time to go to bed, and i'd get up later, go into the bathroom, turn on the light, and read because the book was so good, i couldn't wait until the next day to get back into it.

i notice even today, little girls love to read. they will play teacher and school, which includes reading, while the boys love to play video games or play with their boy toys. i wonder if it could have anything to do with what side of the brain boys are using versus what side of the brain girls are using. i'm sure that'll come out in some study sooner or later, if it hasn't already.

now, being in school, pretty much the only books i read are my textbooks. i do read various magazines however, and i have to read them whenever i find the time. so they travel with me wherever i go just in case.....

2:42 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Speaking of reading, there is a very good article in the current New Yorker by Oliver Sachs about stereoscopic vision. Remember View-Master?

I was able to finish the article last night because it was too hot to sleep.

Gotta run….

Josie

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home