Tuesday, June 20, 2006

Life isn't all roses, you know

I know people who, on a daily basis, make out a 'gratitude list', in which they write down all the things for which they, on that day, are grateful. It's a nice idea, you know, positive-thinking and all that. And there is no question that I have many things in my life for which I am immensely grateful, and the mere fact they are part of me makes me feel blessed.

But, there is also a need for balance, for reality in our lives. Sometimes I think we in contemporary society have too much of an impulse to seek only "happy endings" to everything, rather than preparing ourselves to go face-on with those other realities -- the crappy ones. Life is, after all, a trade-off. There must be a 'yang' to our 'yin' or we wouldn't be strong enough to cope.

Bearing that in mind I, in a spirit of public blogger service, am about to help those who don't seek to be wrapped up in puffy cotton, some of the things we must contend with -- things that demand we expand our coping resolve. Don't worry, they can only make you stronger and firmer in your resolve to never let the bastards grind you down.

I have my 'things', you have yours, so it behooves you to create your own list. But, as follows are the irritants that for me make life seem just a little bit less blessed, but in confronting or enduring at least, render me a stronger individual, rather than just merely pissed-off. No, these are not things that are so bad that they would tempt me to 'go postal', just little, less than charming things and circumstances: (these are in no particular order)

* We all hate fingernails scraping on a blackboard. This is a universal, primal detestation, so I though I would include it as the kickoff item.

* Snoring bedmates; snoring people in the next room; the next house; in extreme cases, one street over.

* Accidentally blocking the toilet in somebody else's house, with the anxiety level rising proportionately if it is the toilet of a new love, your boss, prospective parents-in-law, or if the toilet just will not stop running and the water level is rising ominously.

* Being unable to remember the events of the "night before."

* Slopping coffee, tea or a drink directly onto your crotch area.

* Having to provide a 'specimen'. Having to produce one in the doctor's office because you forgot to bring one with you. Having to hand that specimen to a nurse who turns out to be someone you had a huge crush on in high school or college.

* Stubbing your toe, biting your tongue or cheek, bumping your head. No dignity here, just excruciating pain.

* Waiting up for someone who should have been home hours earlier.

* Responding to the smile or wave of somebody fantastic looking on the street only to find, to your mortification, their wave was directed at the person behind you.

* Parking your car in a rough neighborhood, returning to it at 2 a.m. to find a tire has gone flat, then being offered assistance by an individual who looks like he was rejected by the Hell's Angels for appearing too morally depraved.

* Being caught in traffic gridlock and really, really having to pee.

* Nearing the end of a four lane highway stretch only to find you are stuck behind an oil-burning '57 Rambler or the largest RV ever manufactured, that is being driven by the oldest guy on record who still possesses a driver's license.

* Being in unrequited love. This is almost as distressing as being the object of somebody else's unrequited love.

* Flashing red and blue lights in the rear-view mirror, or a cop car going in the opposite direction that makes a U-turn on the highway immediately after you pass by knowing well you were going at least 20-per over the posted speed.

* Arriving in Levis and sweatshirt and realizing everybody else is in formal.

* Motel bathrooms with walls so thin you can hear somebody tearing off toilet paper in the abutting bathroom in the next unit. Also, motel bedrooms with equally paper-thin walls that abut other bedrooms.

* The sounds of sirens at any time, but especially at 3 a.m. They can only mean something bad has happened to someone.

* Virtually all governments, at any level.

* Virtually all bureaucrats at any level -- the lower on the food chain, the worse they are.

* High school reunions. Just plain evil.

*Lifestyle questionnaires that indicate you should have died five years ago.

What are some of yours? Everybody else is itching to know.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian ... those are great! You've named several of mine ... in fact, quite a few of mine!

A few extras:

* Deciding I'm going to spend the day in my PJ's, relaxing, and having someone show up at my door.

* Having my internet connection drop in the middle of something urgent.

* Ordering a Grateful Dead (or just about anything) only to discover that they used a powdered sour mix ... *blech!*

* Having to take a shower in a very cold bathroom ... *blink!*

Thanks, Ian! Very therapeutic!

10:56 AM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

*equally annoying as fingernails on a blackboard to me is TAPPING - of fingers, toes, pencils, pens, etc.
*people who interupt conversations
*finding something inedible in my food at a restaurant YECH!
*sloooooow drivers

That's it for now.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

People who change the television channel or radio station constantly...just to change it.

Grr! :)

5:43 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

"Waiting up for someone who should have been home hours earlier."

Yeah, that is just about the be all and end all of my general angst.

On the other hand...don't wait up for me either, I might just stay out all night!

10:19 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Ian, great list!

A few more:

People who take too long on the main office phone line engaging in idle chatter.

People who do not flush when leaving the restrooms.

Latecomers at the movies who insist on blocking your view and/or stumbling over everyone's feet in the dark in a determined attempt to get to the middle seats.

Yep, these are mine. Thanks for allowing me to get this off my chest*lol*

5:17 AM  
Blogger Lowry said...

People at work who don't flush the employee toilet right before I have to use it., then when I tell them, they do nothing about it.

6:51 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Okay, this happened to me yesterday and I know it has happened to everyone else out there as well, and it’s really annoying. You’re in a public place like the Safeway lineup, and your undies ride up and they’re really uncomfortable and there is no graceful way to “fix” things. Just one of those little annoyances.

I have posted a couple of pictures of my little treehouse, but for some reason after two photos Blogger boots me out, so I will try to post more later.

10:08 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Oh, and if you click on the photographs it enlarges them.

10:14 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

Gosh, I'm back. How tiresome :-)

Anyway, I have a very unique kitchen sink. I might post a picture of that one day as well.

10:19 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

hi ian; nice to see you over at my blog and ref. My Post --- my mom is legally blind, only has very limited vision, so when sis and neice were posing for a "smoking is very glamourous commercial" we gave her one, she looked at it quisically and said: "what's this", the expression on her face was so comical, but you had to be there, one of those "funny in the moment" things! too bad, that one is in My Pictures file, which i cannot access....how's things with you, anyway?

e.u. got chills up my spine just READING the fingernails on board sentence!!!!! and the blocking toilet thing, OMG! HAH HAH HAH HAH HAH , that is so funny!-- i did that once, even tho' it was at my best friend's house it was still sooooo mortifying....

i have never slopped my coffee onto my crotch!!! and i have a private line to the Hell's Angels hang-out...*lyer* - [is that a musical instrument?]

responding: ...too funny! that happened last friday nite. Lee and i were driving to her musical recital and stopped at a light i looked to the right, saw a man in his car, he looked just like one of the Mikado performers, so i smiled and waved. It was only when he grinned back, a huge toothless one!!! that i realized it was a perfect stranger (perfect stranger, now there is a cute phrase you could expound on)...anyway, he proceeded to follow us and look over and grin some more, it seemed like he was trying to "further our accquaintance"...Lee was absolutely horrified, and relieved when we turned off and he went straight.

oh yeah, our high school reunion has been postponed until October....GREAT! *sarcastic*

at the moment the only two things i can think of that bother me are
dog shit and dumpster divers....i don't know why...they just do.

10:53 AM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

Oh! I just thought of the other one I wanted to mention. When you're waiting for the grocery store clerk to ring your things through and you want to use the debit machine, some people crowd you so you have to grotesquely manoever so they can't see you put your code in. I absolutely HATE that. I always make sure I stand back and wait my turn if someone is ahead of me.

4:31 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

My most hated has to be stubbing just your pinky toe so hard you think it is broken clean off, or you wish it was. All the others you listed are just part of life. The pinky toe one really gets me.

7:36 PM  
Blogger Heidi said...

Ian..Thanx for stopping by and adding your support :)

Love the list..How about going to a public washroom and there is no toilet paper just when u need it most...< I try not to go to often if I can> ;)

5:08 AM  
Blogger Jo said...

More pictures of my little tree house... No pictures of the kitchen sink, though, I promise.

8:47 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

*having people directly behind you on the next step when going up or down an escalator (does canada have those?). i feel like saying "back off jerk"

*people who burp out loud, especially around my food

ian, the one you said about someone waving, and you waving back, only to find out he/she was waving to someone behind you was so funny. i'm still laughing at that one.

1:33 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home