Friday, June 09, 2006

Just another area of insecurity


This morning at the mall I watched people, mainly women (though the comment is not intended to be misogynistic) with cell-phones stuck in their ears. I wondered why. They were only going shopping. Why would they need to be chatting with someone? Can't they leave friends or family for a half hour without checking in? Are they so afraid of being cut off? Of being rejected? That's scary.

Leesa recently raised a point in her invariably well-considered, thoughtful and often witty blog the other day, about Blogger etiquette. We write our blogs, and we hope to elicit comment. We like it when our friends connect, and we especially like comment from bloggers whose blogs we genuinely admire -- and there are some mighty fine ones out there. So, you write your blog, and somebody responds. The question Leesa raised is, do you respond to them? Do you respond in your own blog commentary column? Do you go to their blog and make a comment on one of theirs, just to touch base? Do you do so in the hope they will keep coming back to yours? I love it when somebody in their own comments column responds to my comment. Yet, I must confess, I am sometimes remiss in responding to theirs in mine. I mean, do people check back? I do. But, maybe I'm neurotic. Maybe I'm afraid of being rejected. I've seen blogs in which people get right hostile because nobody had responded to something they had written, and they let their displeasure be known in a subsequent blog.

You see, this all becomes an area of fear of rejection, and it adds another dimension to this primal fear in our lives. We went through it in school. We believed that everybody was more popular than we are. That everybody is having a wonderful time, while we are sitting home alone popping corn for ourselves and watching TV with Mom and Dad.

Once, when my stepdaughter was about 14, and at a loose end because all her friends had something happening on a Saturday night -- emphasis on 'all' her friends, or so she believed -- and she had nothing happening. My wife and I decided to take in a movie. We asked her if she would like to come along, since I knew it was one she had wanted to see. She grudgingly said that she would. She came with us. She actually ducked down when we passed friends of hers on the street. She could not be seen with us because, you see, she had been rejected. I asked her if she really thought all of her friends were out doing fabulous things that evening. She replied that she did. When we got to the theatre and purchased tickets, she immediately parted our company and went and sat on the far side, by herself, just so she wouldn't be seen with us, such was her shame at her perceived rejection.

Are there bloggers that go through the same thing? Can we take this pressure? Should there be a 12-Step program for blog rejection obsession? Or, should we simply advise bloggers to just carry on, write another blog, and simply grin and bear it when they receive that old zero comments at the bottom of the blog. I know it hurts, but I think we can do it.

9 Comments:

Blogger William said...

You see, the way it is, as I see it, is that there's this basic difference between men and women. Women know what guilt is. Men simply don't unerstand the concept - not the way a woman does. And men have this fear-of-failure thing. It is not an issue in quite the same way at all for women. Your need to be loved vis-a-vis your blog is just a manifestation of the age old male fear-of-failure thing. Quite normal really.

4:34 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Hmmm...now, Ian, if you don't respond to this comment I'll be okay. ;) However, it makes me happy when you do respond. LOL.

I think that in general, nobody likes to be alone. Hence, we keep our cell phones with us constantly, we send out goofy chain e-mails in mass...hoping just one person will reply, we blog, we IM, we whatever. I think it takes a very special (and confident!) person to be able to say, "Ah, what the heck...I'll go at it alone."

I am not one of those people. I love interaction in "real life." I find myself texting people when I have quiet time...I go and visit for for the heck of it....stuff like that. My blog is a little different though. Yeah, I put a lot of different stuff on there. I write about everything from my family and friends to my favorite food and my boring sex life. Does that mean that I am throwing it all out there just to get a response? No, not always. First and foremost, I write for me. My blog is a way of putting things in perspective, of venting, or categorizing. Personally, I think that some of my best entries--most interesting, most personal, most thoughtful--have been totally "ignorned" by my blogging buddies...or maybe I just didn't have any at that point? Who knows.

Good Lord, I've been rambling. I don't really know where I was going with this, except to say that every time I get a comment, I smile and feel good. I consider each comment a little ray of sunshine in my day....and if that means that I am weak, so be it. :)

Take care.

6:13 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

I'll admit that there are times where I think I've made some really interesting posts and absolutely no one comments and then I'll make what I consider to be a completely inane post and I get 10 or 11 comments.

BUT - I still post whether or not I have 10 or 0 comments, whether or not I have 2 visits or 99 to my blog on any given day. It's an ebb and flow I suppose.

I do have to remind myself every now and then that as much as I enjoy writing for people - and trust me, I love it - I started my blog with one person in mind: me.

I'll take that 12-step program if you're offering one though. teehee.

:)
AM

11:01 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I've kept a blog for years, but my original blog did not allow people to leave comments, and for this sole reason, I came to Blogger. I felt embarrassed by this fact until I read your blog, and I don't know why it never occured to me, but yes, everyone on Blogger is here for the same reason. There's a sense of community and communication.

Thanks, Ian. I feel much better about craving internet interaction. :)

12:47 AM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

Good morning Ian

Wonderful interactions going on here. FYI, I blog mainly to keep my writing down to a small roar. Like a lot of bloggers, I love to share my thoughts and feelings with a like-minded community, not always possible in social situations.

On blogger, you run the gamut of people and emotions and you can link in to the ones you share similar likes and/or dislikes with.

Like Peg, I don't have much use for a cell phone, don't even like the darn things. I carry one mainly for my job, but don't use it on weekends, etc. My daughter has one (a gift from her dad) and just found out that at her new high school, it will not be allowed on campus. She was deflated to say the least, but I was happy. Why does a 13-year old kid need a cell phone all day long, to stay connected to whom?lol.

Ok, enough. I am off to find the perfect white graduation dress and shoes, my mission for today.

Enid

10:03 AM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

This is so funny! I thought about this while out camping with mu daughters...no cell phone, no blogger-fix, no myspace...just us; being humans...and it was good!

I do try to respond to comments left on my site for the same reason I respond with a "Hello" when I am out and someone says "Hi,Wendy" ...because it feels good to me greeted and acknowledged by another person...but there are times (like early on) when I had no blog visitors at all, and felt even more free to write about what I was really feeling...although, I have to admit a very silly thought - I looked at how quickly your traffic meter is coming up, and my first thought was "Hey! I've been here for 10 months and Ian is already blowing me away!"
...the dividing line between actual journalists (you;the rarity) and story tellers (me;the majority)is in the traffic meter :-)

10:55 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

I often wonder if the fact that I generally DON'T reply to people's comments in my comment section bothers some...but I always do pop around and leave comments for others.

I don't know...when I started blogging only 3 people ever commented and I continued to write anyway.

Rejection sure isn't what keeps ME awake at night!

8:24 PM  
Blogger djn said...

I don't respond to comments only because I don't think anyone would think/care to go back and read them. Maybe I'll start because I like that on other people's blogs.

10:06 AM  
Blogger dragonflyfilly said...

foundation: that is so funny, i said exactly that to some of my dinner companions tonight...but then added, "well, unless you are Jewish...i think Jewish men "do guilt" just as well as most women!!!! (ops, is that politically uncouth???)...

but i have a theory (well, i have dozens, actually)...but think people with have the diagnosis of borderline personality disorder (but i think there is a new name for that now)are unable to be alone for 2 minutes. They constantly need companionship...cannot stand to be alone, well, in my experience, this is what i have observed....so...do we have a whole new breed of women, all of whom have undianosed BPD...that sounds a bit harsh, yes? oh well... you asked...

by the way, more photos of MIKADO up at my blog.

cheers for now,
pj

11:27 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home