Saturday, June 17, 2006

What are your guilty pleasures, huh?



It is called a a guilty pleasure. A guilty pleasure is an aspect of our lives in which we find a certain amount of joy or comfort, but that we don't want to brag about for fear of what others might think of us, in terms of refinement of taste and basic values. An example would be the true fact that eccentric piano genius Glen Gould was besotted with pop songstress Petulia Clark. So, I don't mean guilt in the sense of something disgusting or potentially illegal that you might favor in your very private moments, but just a thing, attitude, or preference that might take from the public impression that you have so carefully honed so that you might be seen as an enlightened, even exalted human being to whom others cannot help but look to in an upward fashion. I didn't invent the idea of guilty pleasures, but it is one that sort of tickled me when I first ran across it a few years ago. So, what I am about to do is lay myself bare (metaphorically speaking) and offer you some of mine. I would be delighted to hear some of yours. If some of my choices evoke in you a feeling of "What is wrong with liking that? I like that, and I think it'sreally good. Hey, that's OK. Tastes vary. It's just that for me, these things qualify as guilty pleasures:

*Music:

It's My Party by the retro-angst-ridden Lesley Gore.

It's Still Rock-and-Roll To Me by Billy Joel, what can I say?

Mule-Skinner Blues, the Fendermen

Kum on Feel the Noiz, by Slade

Sixteen Candles, Johnny Maestro and the Crests. A good group, and this is pure, treacly nostalgia

Shaddupa You Face, Joe Dolce

Smoke-smoke-smoke that Cigarette, by Phil Harris

I Yoost Go Nuts at Christmas, by Yorgi Yorgesen

*Foodstuffs:

Tater tots


Toasted peanut butter and honey sandwiches; a kind of variation on Elvis's toasted PB and banana

Spam

Devilled ham: I think this falls into the potted meat category from the movie Sling Blade, which the little kid referred to as consisting of lips and assholes

Lettuce and mayonnaise sandwiches on cheap white bread

Cream of Wheat: I don't even mind the lumps

Batter fried anything: A coronary in a simple foodstuff; I indulge rarely.

Pigs in a Blanket

*Random guilty pleasures:

Visible Panty Lines on women and, in the same context, dark undies worn under white or light garments: A fashion gaffe I know, but not without its fans.

Samantha's evil and sexy sister Serena on Bewitched. I know they were both played by the exquisite Elizabeth Montgomery, but somehow Serena was more alluring in a 'bad' way.

Buffy the Vampire Slayer

F-Troop, especially Larry Storch

Clint Howard in anything, which usually means a Ron Howard flick. Poor Clint. Ron got to be cute Opie, and later all-American lad Ritchie Cunningham, and Clint got to be, well, Clint.

Dirty Harry movies

Marie Osmond. Not for her singing, just because I have always kind of liked looking at her and wondering just how 'pure' she really is.

Donna Reed on the old Donna Reed Show. I wish I'd had a friend with a Mom who looked like Donna. Actually, I did have a friend with a Mom who looked like Donna, and I used to go and visit on the ruse of seeing my friend, but I really wanted to talk to his Mom.

To Know Him is to Love Him by the Teddy Bears. The wacky Phil Spector at his sanest many years ago.

I just could keep adding, but I would rather hear some of yours.

8 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

Why do I get the feeling you want to see visible panty lines on Marie Osmond? ;)

I'd have to say that a couple of mine include The Partidge Family and infomercials. I'm addicted.

3:01 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Food:
Peanut butter on raisin toast.

White Spot hamburger smothered with Triple-O sauce (what does the O stand for) followed by bubble gum ice cream smothered with chocolate sauce.

TV shows:
“CSI: New York” but only because of Gary Sinise.
“Dead Like Me” every Monday night at 10:00.

Music:
Johnny B. Good by Chuck Berry, in fact everything by Chuck Berry.

Clothing:
Men’s cotton shirts and flip/flops.

5:43 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Oh, you're so brave!!! Tater Tots??
(Me too!!!)

By the way, I posted links to photos if you're in the mood for a quaint, very small town elementary school promotion :-)

7:48 PM  
Blogger G-Man said...

It seems like lately, any piece of crap reality show that VH1 puts on starrring some washed up celebrity and I'm hooked!

8:17 PM  
Blogger Lowry said...

Music: Elton John, Weird Al Yankovic

T.V.: Family Matters, Wild on E! with Brooke Burke (love her).

Food: I actuall like T.V. dinners

Just to name a few. I'm not as brave as you are in admitting guilty pleasures.

9:05 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

Music

50’s show tunes
Barry Manilow (although I would never admit it in public…oops! I think I just did!)


Food

Tater tots RULE!!!!
Banana baby food 
The apple cobbler that you only find in TV Dinners
Hot apple pie with ice cream
Captain Crunch with Crunch Berries
Chocolate chips right out of the bag

Random

Seeing men carrying babies in Snuggle-slings

Laying on the (grass, sand, pine needles) and watching bugs up close.

“VH1 Behind the Music”

10:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Food: Homemade nachos with lots of cheese ...

Anything deep friend ...

Raw pie dough ... >;o)

TV: What's that?

Actually, I'm hooked on the 4400. It's the only time I turn the TV on.

DVD's: The Stand, Deep Impact and Independence Day ... I need to get my "fix" every few months ...

Music: old French songs - 20's through the 50's ...

8:45 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

sometimes i buy a box of baby cereal and eat it with milk & sugar. yes, that's right, i eat sugar too, though not by itself. i feel a little embarrassed in the grocery line having all of this regular food, and a lonely box of baby cereal. but i buy it anyway.

sylvia

8:55 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home