Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Come on Sweetie -- we're going for a ride!


So, do these people hate their kids, or what? You see them every day. Stalwart, enviro-conscious moms and dads (nothing wrong with being enviro-conscious per se) pedaling furiously on their bikes, with their tiny tots being towed in a tiny canvas, wire and spit rickshaw like thing out in back. Now, this is hardly much defense against the huge Mack 12-wheeler that is coming up from behind, now is it? So, my question is, in an age of neurotic obsessiveness with the safety of children why are these contraptions legal? Truly, it amazes me that they are.

Just last week I read an article about how a child below a certain age will be more secure in a kiddie-seat stuck in the back, and facing backwards. In other words, in great big SUVs, the tots are to be trussed and belted and positioned so that no harm can befall them. Probably well-and-good, even if a bit anal, in my esteem. Sure does cut down on those old fights over which kid gets to sit up front with Mom, however. And, in the same context pudgy Britney Spears is lambasted for letting her child sit on Mommy's lap while the vehicle is cruising down the highway. Now, Miss Britney probably deserves to be dissed for many things, including appalling tastelessness, but if she is to be hit with this brickbat, why do the kiddie-trailer towers escape unscathed. Truly, if Britney had positioned her kid in one of those trailers, it would have earned her points with the save-the-worlders. Weird.

So, we run around keeping Shiloh and Darth Vadar Jr. all secure in this mean old world. We don't let them play with lawn darts, set off fireworks, or ride in the car unfettered, but we let them ride on crowded highways and byways, populated by street-racing morons and drunks, seated in a contraption that would blow over in a decent breeze, let alone lose in any conflict with a Hummer's front tire.

Why not just encourage them to play backyard catch with live handgrenades?

6 Comments:

Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

It really makes you wonder. Thanks for posting this. For a while, I thought something was wrong with ME!

12:10 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Oh, I hate those contraptions!!!

12:11 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

I think my opinion on these might differ slightly from yours.

However, why is that we're so concerned with not letting our kids out to play because they might get hurt? I can remember as a munchkin falling out of trees, falling from the second floor of the house to the concrete slab of the first floor, getting bitten by ants because I wasn't wearing any shoes, and running through our neighbours' property - through barbed wire fences, no less - to get to the edge of the creek where time and again I slipped and hit my head. Not to mention the time that I got thwacked in the head by the ceiling fan - which was on high - while standing on a friend's bunk bed.

Kids are made out of rubber, for the most part. Why are we in the mindset that they're made out of glass?

rant over

Sorry for taking over your comments section there for a minute, Ian.

:)
AM

1:20 PM  
Blogger Spider Girl said...

Darth Vader, Jr.! Heh, made me laugh!

I've noticed a few Lord of the Rings type names popping up lately too.

I know a few moms who drive these trailer contraptions. I don't know how safe they are, but in my area of town, the hills are so steep that I just don't know how they get them to the top.

11:16 PM  
Blogger Phil said...

First of all, the people on bikes should be on the sidewalk, kiddie trailers or not, and secondly, if the kid is riding in the trailer he'she should have a helmet on as if they were riding a bike. Third, yes, two of my children enjoyed their rides in these and one often fell asleep while riding in the little trailer. Regarding Britney, I think you'll enjoy my post tomorrow.

4:50 AM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

people on bikes should be on the sidewalk? are you kidding?

there's not enough room for them on the sidewalks, it's dangerous for both the pedestrians and the cyclists. not to mention that bikes are categorised as vehicles in most places. what do you say to Lance Armstrong when he's riding his ROAD bike going 30 or 40 mph? "Go get on the sidewalk?"

you were joking, right?

>:|
AM

8:45 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home