Sunday, June 25, 2006

Free up women to be 'real', thank-you

I was interested to note the number of comments on my most recent blog on ancient stag flicks, that pertained to the fact that Bettie Page, who was pictured looked like a 'real' woman, rather than some refugee from a Somali relief camp. Of course, the tragic Somali women have no choice in their skeletal bearing.

But, the point was well taken that the vogue towards a Kate Moss anorexic structure (well, we know of the nose-candy that brought hers to her), that keeps threatening to die, is still foisted on vulnerable and stupid young girls as some sort of an ideal.

The irony is that 1950s sex goddess, the benighted and ever-so-sad Marilyn Monroe would be deemed 'fat' these days. Check out early Madonna, pretty chunky Italiana there. Sophia Loren? Surely must be a case of excesses of Spaghetti Bolognaise.

Well, perhaps I date myself, but the aforementioned are to me provocative and sexually alluring women. I like curves, I like fullness, I like boobs and bums, I like a woman who can sit down and eat a good meal without going to the ladies to puke it all up, or having taken a laxative beforehand so she can shit it out and never gain an ounce.

So, who decided this? Who decided that young females should undergo a lifetime of eating disorders so that they might look svelte, boyish, and downright unattractive? Some blame it on
'60s fashion icon, Twiggy. Well, in the first place, as one who was there, I thought Twiggy was adorable. Secondly, her svelteness was natural. She was just a skinny young girl, and is reportedly as distressed by models who starve themselves as anyone else. And now that she is a grown-up middle aged lady (who still looks pretty hot) she is also quite acceptably covered, thank you.

Teenage girls take up smoking at a much greater rate than adolescent males. Why? Because smoking kills the urge to eat. The fashion industry, whence cometh so much of bulimia-chic, is rife with cocaine abuse. Kate Moss, the silly little sap, was just dumb enough to get caught. And, hey, even though she did get caught, she has reaped more contracts than she ever had before. There is no penalty for foolishness or unhealthy behavior.

Take Paris Hilton. No, don't. Enough morons have taken her already.

The irony of it all is, in a society that obsesses about anorexia, there are more overweight people than ever before. I guess only very affluent societies need to worry about overweight and underweight woes.

For the rest of the world it's just a matter of getting some food -- any food.

7 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

Ian, I also wonder about the irony that in a world that glamorises anorexia and bulimia as ways to maintain unhealthily small bodies, more and more people are overweight as well.

If only we could have women who look more like the ones you mentioned be foisted upon us as beautiful. I'd love to be told that having boobs and an ass and curves are the most lovely thing ever - 'cause I already have them - but in this day and age, it's not viewed as beautiful. I'm not complaining about my body, I do rather like it - it'd just be nice to have it accepted.

:)
AM

11:51 AM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

It is ironic that while the fashion industry promotes "thin" on the surface - women's clothing styles and sizing charts have been adapted to accommodate the ever widening girth of the average American woman. I used to be a size 5, now, a size 2 is sometimes too large...yet my weight has not changed in years! If anything, I weigh five pounds more than my size 5 days!

12:09 PM  
Blogger Wendy C. said...

oh, since I mentioned my clothing size, I should also mention that it's relative...I am only 5'2"

12:12 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

1:47 PM  
Blogger Lowry said...

Great post, Ian. A woman can be sexy without destroying herself in the process. I'm so glad I I don't know any girls who go on a nine-and-a-half-calorie-a-day diets to try and become life size stick figures.

5:12 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hopefully the sick-looking, too-skinny, silliness-trend will pass ... hopefully sooner than later.

Don't forget the fads of yesteryear ... women using arsenic to lighten their complexions ...

I think that sort of behavior - be it anorexia today, or poisons yesterday - are self limiting.

Sad while they happen, though.

8:28 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

Yes, curves and a healthy glow/being are nice. Eating can be fun and enjoyable. Yet, something about society tells us that we're never quite thin or pretty enough...it's really sad.

And, yes, at twenty-eight, I know that society is full of shit. But, like a lot of people, I have a hard time telling society's voice to shut up 24/7...and I've been known to skip the occasional meal and avoid snacking like the plague just to get to or maintain a certain size.

It's a twisted way to be and live, I know. Hmm. Not sure what else to say.

10:19 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home