Thursday, July 13, 2006

The karma of our time and our place

When the wet and chilly winds pummel the northwest through the winter months I find myself longing for the sun and the blessed balm of heat on my shoulders. That is when my thoughts turn longingly to the desert warmth of the southwest. The desert air is a balm, especially in February or March. Not yet hot, but clear and agreeably warm in the daylight hours, if not at night. I like it. It's a refreshing change. I can fly to Palm Springs from Vancouver in less than three hours. Nice.

So, as I watched CNN last evening I was distressed to see footage of all the wildfires in that area. Flames licking up the canyons and gulches and cinderizing the desert foliage. Watching the firefighters attempting to thwart runaway blazes with daytime temperatures of 105 F, and then the flames on top of that, I was dazzled at their dedication, and offer my intense gratitude for their attempts to challenge nature at its nastiest, and even succeeding in some cases.

I watched a village just out past Yucca Valley burn to cinders and I thought I was there just a few months ago, on a day jaunt to astonishingly beautiful Joshua Tree National Park (pictured here), and now it was all flames and dense smoke and a heat that would bring most of us to our knees in despair over the losses.

It's an odd, slightly surreal feeling to see an image of a place where one has been. Where one has stood in one's particular moment in time at that place, and then to marvel at a traumatic moment in time where all had turned to hell.

I was first struck by this a number of years ago as I watched TV footage of religious rioting and bloodshed in Belfast, Northern Ireland. There was footage of the main bus station in Belfast in sheets of flame brought about by an IRA bomb. I had been there just a few years earlier. I had caught a bus from there. It was very peaceful at the time.

In another instance, I looked at footage of oozing lava from Mt. Kilauea on Hawaii's Big Island, as it followed its unstoppable course into the headquarters and tourist centre of Volcano National Park and as it met the building, all erupted into cataclysmic flame, and I thought how I had picked up tourist brochures in that same building, looked at exhibits and carried out all the mundane tasks of any visitor, not realizing that in a few years this would all be gone.

So, I then, and quite naturally wonder about the people who visited the World Trade Centre on 9/11 and how they happened to be there on that most horrible of days. I have a friend who was in NYC on that day. She was there as a tourist while her husband was at a medical conference. She booked a couple of tours, as people do, and she had booked the Trade Centre for 9/11. She was contacted by the tourism operator, however, who informed her there had been a glitch, and could she take an alternate tour that day, and plan for the Towers the next day. She agreed, with very little thought about the matter.

Then, Hell happened.

My friend has often wondered why she was spared, and she has moments in which she feels, aside from overwhelming gratitude to whatever was watching over her, an odd sort of guilt as to why her karma led her elsewhere that day. She also feels guilt about those whose plans all fell into place.

I thought a bit about that as I watched the flames of the wildfires and the footage of people fleeing the communities of the torrid valley.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jo said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12:46 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

absolutely everything happens for a reason.

i do not believe in coincidence.

:)
AM

2:08 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

Oh my goodness!

4:51 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I had this feeling watching the tanks roll through Tiananmen Square, where I had stood only a few weeks before. News coverage makes every tragedy seem like a primetime drama, a story, a fiction; but when you've stood in a place, felt the sun on your skin, and smelt the dust in the air, you suddenly realize that the stories coming from inside the little black box are true. Real blood, real screaming, real hell. Ugly feeling indeed.

12:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ian ... I can relate to that.

I used to bring pilgrims to the Holy Land every year. We always spent time in Jerusalem, Tiberias, Tel Aviv ... Bethlehem, Nazareth ...

We would sometimes stay behind to plan the next year's pilgrimage, and in doing so, explored many beautiful, out of the way places - the wilderness behind Ein Gedi, the caves not far from Kerioth ...

Now, when violence erupts over there, I ache inside and out as I see places I visited during quieter times. The most poignant one for me was the explosion on Ben Yehuda square, just across from the Eilon Tower in Jerusalem - I had spent many hours there in the little cafes and shops.

Thanks for that post, Ian. It expressed something I'd been feeling very acutely in the last few weeks.

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home