Sunday, July 23, 2006

Welcome to the age of the slacker

My summer days of my early teens were spent cruising the neighborhood and knocking on doors to ask residents if they would "please" like their lawns mowed.

It wasn't that I liked mowing lawns, it was just that I knew if I wanted anything resembling either spending money, or to be able to purchase new duds for the forthcoming school year, I'd better earn a few dollars. And then, when fall came, there were leaves to be raked, and with winter (back in the glory days of global chilling, remember that?) came snow to be shoveled.

In my little entrepreneurial ventures, I didn't see myself as hard-done-by, since every other kid of my acquaintance was doing similar things. In fact, the lawn cutting competition was fierce.

"I'm sorry, Ian, but young Myron Sleet is cutting our grass. Such a nice boy."

That bastard, I thought.

So nowadays, the era of entrepreneurial youngsters has apparently passed. I have lived in my current suburban home for about eight years, and not once has a kid come by to offer to do anything. There are kids in the area. What in hell is wrong with them? What in hell is wrong with parents who aren't ordering them to get their asses out there and make themselves productive?

My brothers and I, my friends, and probably my entire generation were 'expected' to make ourselves busy during vacation. But, none of the foregoing means I don't have interaction with your kids. Indeed I do. They will ring my doorbell and, smiling sweetly, will ask if I would like to buy a chocolate bar to support their gym club, dance troupe, soccer team, or whatever.

Sometimes they don't even offer the chocolate bar as recompense for my contribution. I've had incidents of just plain, blatant begging for some cause or other. I must confess, it pisses me off. I am certain these kids are wonderful young people, enterprising and talented no doubt. But, do I give a sweet goddamn if their soccer team or dance troupe needs funding? I do not. If parents want their children to be involved in such activities, then God love them, why aren't they supporting them in what they are doing? Why are they intruding on homeowners? And, if they aren't nailing me at my doorstep, you are nailing me at the supermarket, where there is scarcely a Saturday that goes by that there isn't a smiling youngster offering to sell me an apple or somesuch to help support somebody else's activity. I don't even like apples, for heaven's sake!

It's not that I'm a skinflint. I mean, I am, but that's not the issue here. I support charities. I support charities that are designed to help the helpless, not able bodied 'other peoples' kids. I support the Heart and Stroke Foundation, the Cancer Society, the MS Society, and if the Home for Wayward Ladies of the Evening had a society, I might even support them.

I have served on countless boards over the years, and I have readily volunteered to help those who need a hand -- and who 'deserve' that helping hand. Kids' soccer teams, softball teams, dance troupes and gymnastics ventures don't qualify -- sorry.

Maybe if those kids actually got out and hustled their energetic little asses to do something good for somebody in the community, I'd feel more sympathetic. As it is, so much of it is so self-involved. Self-involvement loses my interest very rapidly.

13 Comments:

Blogger Lowry said...

No one talks about my generation like that, unless it's the truth! Oh, wait, it is. Uhhhhh, never mind.

1:43 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

Wow Ian! You've got me going here. I can remember when I was about 8 years old, I was finally ALLOWED to go and earn some money on my own by picking berries. We lived in Richmond that was mostly farm land then. I progressed to picking beans, too, and then got into baby sitting. One summer when I was about 10 or 12, I sat on my bed counting all the coins I'd earned and saved in my piggy bank. It totalled a grand $65 and I thought I was rich! As soon as I was 16, I applied at the local Sears store where I worked Friday nights and Saturdays until I went to university.

Even at the school where I taught, the staff was always bombarded by kids asking us to support the school walkathon, or their extra curricular activities like soccer, hockey, baseball, horseback riding or cheerleading clubs, or being asked to attend dance recitals (tickets are $35 Mrs. C).

I dread September when I know some kids are going to come pounding on my door asking me to support this year's walkathon. Anyone have any good responses I can have handy? Maybe I'll just leave town for 2 weeks.

2:48 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Well, Leslie, as somebody once said to me 'No' is a complete sentence. No further explanation is necessary. Good comments and, as a former teacher I couldn't agree with you moe.

Lowry, your comment offers a great sense of irony.

And Peg, you and Leslie are both speaking about 'our' generation in which money we had was money we earned. Good thoughts all.

2:58 PM  
Blogger djn said...

Ian, I couldn't love this post more. I have so much to say but I will leave it at this: my kids have a few chores each, but unless they spend two hours a day at the pool or at a park exercising, they don't get their allowance. Period.

4:14 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

When I was growing up I knew if I wanted extra money to buy records (remember those?) or extra things, I had to work for them. So I had an after-school job at Woodward's and a summer job at a summer lodge (which was more play than work, but I got paid for it). And my daughter always had after-school jobs as well.

And what teenage girl didn't earn money by babysitting? We would say goodbye to the "employer", and then as soon as they drove away we would sneak in the current boyfriend to join us.

4:27 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

Josie, you were a very bad girl. I knew I liked you for good reason. And, you know, it wasn't just girls who babysat. I babysat right through university. I even have an 'adventures in babysitting story' I'll tell sometime.
Ian

4:37 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

Adventures in babysitting...? That sounds like a whole new post. Okay, we will all be waiting to hear this story. I'll bet it's a good one... hah

5:06 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

Ah...Woodwards! Who doesn't remember that store, going downtown on a frosty wintery eve to check out the Christmas decorations. How I miss it!

Oh...back to the topic. LOL My younger daughter was very inventive about jobs. One summer when she was 17 and hadn't been able to get a job, she made up flyers advertising her "business" taking care of pets and homes while people went on vacation. You know, she actually got several regular clients out of it. It didn't cost her much to advertise and it didn't take up too much of her time and she made quite a bit of money!

6:23 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

Yeah I agree...my money earning enterprise was to distribute the paper YOU wrote for.
Blood chilling winter mornings at 5:00am; out in the snow covered streets shivering in my plastic lined boots.

Nothing like toiling away your childhood in back breaking slog.

Oh, I'm kidding.

To suggest that a kid should be handed all rights just because they exist is the quickest way to ensure a grown up that takes the easy road and never develops that all important character all the adults are always going on about.

7:52 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

I am reading this along with my teenager daughter and she and I both AGREE with your comments.

In fact, she doesn't earn an allowance at all. We now and again give her small payments for really extracurricular tasks, but the mundane household work is thrown in as part of her regular duties.

She is anxious to make some dollars during the summer and good ideas being thrown out here for her to think about. Especially Leslie's creative daughter's ideas.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Belizegial said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

10:23 PM  
Blogger Jo said...

I would have thought by now that I would have this working thing figured out, but here I am again working on this beautiful summer day, when I should be outdoors frolicing in a field of daisies....

10:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Love the post, Ian, and I agree.

When I little fry I used to have Kool Aide stands ... and as soon as I was big enough, I babysat.

We didn't have allowances, so if I wanted spending money, I had to figure out a way to earn it.

I even used to wheedle my brother into letting me help him on his paper route ... I'd deliver the papers that needed a lot of leg work, like those that needed to find their way to the 4th floor of an apartment building.

Today's youth don't see things the way we do ... they live in a very different world. I imagine that they will bring the values and experiences of their world with them ... and help shape tomorrow.

It could get interesting ...

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home