Monday, February 26, 2007

And what about Arnold, may I ask?

OK – I’ll admit it. I didn’t watch the Oscars last night. In fact, I hadn’t seen any of the nominated films, so why bother? Anyway, I felt that since Paris Hilton wasn’t nominated, there was no point. Then I learned the Oscars were for ‘acting’ not ‘acting out.’

But seriously, I lost interest in the Oscars when Arnold Stang (pictured here with Frankie) missed being nominated for his tour de force as ‘Sparrow’ in The Man With the Golden Arm in 1955. No, that wasn’t really serious, but Stang was good. Watch and you’ll see what I mean.

There are two reasons why I don’t watch the Oscars and haven’t done so in I cannot remember how long. They are:

1. All the Oscars are is a big in-house (I was going to say ‘circle jerk’ but my intrinsic politeness made me refrain) love-in. They are not really a reflection of critical esteem or film quality. Academy members, not critics or the public undertakes the voting. And, Academy members in a certain category by their designation can only vote for others in that same designation. At least, that is what Kim Cattrall told me a number of years ago, and I suspect she would know. So she, for example, as an actress, can only vote in the actress category, she cannot vote for best actor. So, if somebody Kim had brawled with in the past was up for a nod, she wouldn’t get Kimmie’s vote, in all likelihood. That’s just plain silly.

I don’t go to the movies. I believe God invented DVDs for a reason, and that was to keep cranky guys like me away from movie houses. I think the last two movies I ever saw were Saving Private Ryan (not a well-known fact that Tom Hanks won World War Two), and Titanic. If you haven’t seen it, the ship sinks. That one was redeemed by Kate Winslet, but not much else.

I quit going to the movies because I no longer found it a pleasant experience, but one that brought out my more hostile instincts. Why would I want to sit in a venue in which movie house operators scour the streets and then populate their venues with the rudest people they can possibly unearth. Movie audiences that used to be in raptures with what was unfolding on the silver screen now seem to be nasty, boorish, loud, inconsiderate and just not the sort of company with whom I want to be stuck being only an armrest away from. They talk; they answer cellphones; they present their stupid critiques of plot lines and they are forever going back and forth to pick up further drums of ersatz popcorn or enough milk-duds to provide confections for the population of Somalia.

And movies are so loud. Why are they so loud? I assume most people there can hear, so why should the (generally bad) music, and (generally bad) dialogue be hearable in the next town?

Sometimes I think about going to a movie. And then I find my crankiness (if I’ve so decided) increases as the day of the movie approaches. When that day actually arrives I am in such a pout about it all, there is no point in going.

Don’t get me wrong. I love movies. There are good movies, and there are even ‘great’ movies (not so much this year, from what I read), and there are movies that I have seen over and over again on TV or DVD.

In that context, I do recognize that watching a DVD version is not the same thing as seeing it all on the big screen. But, I want to then see it on the big screen in one of the cinema palaces of yesteryear. Those wonderful venues with their chandeliers and plush seats were part of the overall experience. Those crappy little multiplexes at the mall do not make it. They offer little improvement over a DVD offering. Added to which, my home isn’t populated by boorish louts, like the multiplex will be.

A final point in favor of renting a movie, I think stems from the number of occasions in which we have sat and perused a recent offering and then said: “Glad we didn’t pay real money to watch this sucker on the big screen.”









Labels: , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

I'm with you on the Oscars, it's all about who pays the most for their statue, in the form of $30,000 goodie bags or parties or whatever other methods they use. I haven't watched an award show in 15 years, cynic that I am.

As for going out to see a movie? Cineplexes annoy the hell out of me. And the people there too. And... OMG, I'm becoming you!

'Nuff said.

10:05 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

gee ian, just a couple of weeks ago (2/13 blog), you were saying you weren't a cranky guy, now today you're saying you are. make up your mind, which are you? (i'm really just kidding!!!)

i never watched the oscars in the past, but now i do since i see more of the nominated movies. i absolutely love going to the movies, probably for some of the reasons you don't. i love the loud volume. matter of fact, when watching a dvd at home, i turn my volume up just like at the movies. our stadium-styled seating is plush and comfortable. we have plenty of theatres here where the atmosphere is great; otherwise, i'd stay home too and wait for the dvd.

11:20 AM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

but i did want to add i hate all of the glitz/glamour thing about the clothes, designers, etc. they do. big waste.

1:18 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

thanx ian re the zoo info. i'll add those cities to my list. enjoy the rest of your day!

1:22 PM  
Blogger Tai said...

I'm with you on movies in the large, loud tin cans.
Not my favorite place to be.

And I'm with you on the Oscar's as well.
Most of the time I don't know the movie and the rest of the time I do and I'm astounded that they voted for such drivel!

2:06 PM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

The only Oscar I have ever watched was Oscar the Grouch. He's much more entertaining.
As for the DVD vs Movie debate, well it really depends on the movie. We sometimes go when the movie is worth seeing on the big screen. For example the Lord of the Rings trilogy was worth it, but most films are not. If we go see a film once a year, we're on a role. ;o)
PS Yes theater goers are obnoxious, especially the younger ones. :o)

5:01 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

The only Oscar nominated movie we saw was The Departed and the experience was ruined for us by a loud large family taking up the tables in front of us. We go to The Movie TAVERN - a place that has food, beer and liquor. It's bad enough that they took their young children to a place that caters to drinking adults, but it was a VERY VIOLENT film. Every R-rated scene made me wince for those poor children and made me despise their parents.

Another benefit of the DVD is I can say, "What did he say?" and my husband can rewind it.

And you are dead on about the loudness factor. We went to War of the Worlds and I had cramps in my arms because I watched the whole thing with my fingers half in my ears.

12:22 AM  
Blogger Ellee Seymour said...

So have you seen Queeen yet? Sorry to hear Paris Hilton didn't get a nomination, maybe next year you will be luckier.

5:39 AM  
Blogger CS said...

The other reason not to watch the Oscars is they go on and on forever before getting to the main awards. And, I rarely see mvies in the theater, either. I like DVDs for their low price (and I can make my own popcorn), their convenience, and the fact that I can run out of the room if someone in the movie is getting hurt.

7:52 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I agree completely with you on this Ian! The Oscars are an ego-satisfying concert for the participants. I also found that even at the opera people are noisy and loud and constantly clap through out the performances destroying the wonderful mood set by the music. Good post

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home