Sunday, February 18, 2007

That's more than sad -- it's pathetic

A particular exchange from my days as an addictions counsellor sticks in my mind. One day I asked a client what it was that had made him decide to turn his life around from being a falling-down drunk to a person seeking a life of sobriety. It was a question I often asked because I wanted to assess if the decision had come from the individual himself, or if somebody had put his back to the wall and demanded he get help. In such cases the process is often doomed to fail because it’s under duress.

“It was something my wife said,” he told me. “She said I was pathetic. That really hit me. I wouldn’t have minded her calling me a drunken asshole, a waste-of-space, a jerk, or whatever else she’d thrown at me hundreds of times over the years. But to say I was ‘pathetic’ really hit me. Pathetic. That’s what you call a skid-row wino eating out of dumpsters. I wasn’t one of those – I didn’t think.”

He was right. Pathetic seems to indicate beyond hope and therefore, finally, an object of pity rather than contempt. According to my dictionary, pathetic is: arousing or capable of arousing scornful pity. Yep, that was right where the poor guy was. It wasn’t just that he had done something pathetic; in his long-suffering wife’s esteem, his entire being was pathetic.

I don’t know if the guy was successful in his quest. After 28-days he left and the facility tended to lose touch. I hope he was. I hope he’s no longer pathetic.

But, I’m afraid that the term ‘pathetic’ was the only one that could cross my mind when I saw the photos of poor, sad Britney Spears with her shaved head. No doubt you’ve seen them. My feeling was, I don’t want to read any more crap about your misspent life. I don’t want to see you baring your (ahem) ‘fundament’ to the world again, I find your life has become pathetic, and only you can do something about it. I’m altruistic enough that I like to hear of people – especially people with very few tools – resurrecting themselves and becoming functional humans.

I feel that about her because she was a kid who came from the metaphorical trailer-park and, like Elvis, whose background was similar, suddenly was thrust in the limelight, suddenly had more money than an emirate, and suddenly was expected to perform, and perform and perform to the greedy public’s content. She was expected to do this with no inner resources to carry her through. So, she ended up pathetic and sad.

In that she is like Courtney Love. We all watched poor old Courtney, who became increasingly pathetic on her downhill slide, and we all waited for the out-of-control car to hit the overpass. But, amazingly, it didn’t. Love of her child shocked her into awareness, and I hope the tales of her recovery are true.

I don’t feel that way about Paris Hilton, for example, or other spoiled and self-indulgent individuals like her. She had every advantage any human could ever expect and has devoted her energies to not only offending virtually everybody who crosses her path – even bad people – but also showing an attitude of greed and entitlement that is repellent. Oh, and she also insists on dragging easily-influenced younger females down with her. Paris ain’t pathetic. She’s just offensive, so screw her. Why not? Hundreds already have. Sorry, I had to have my little joke.
But, all I can say to Britney is, check yourself back into that rehab that you checked out of within 24-hours, grow your hair back, gain some maturity, and recognize the fact you have two youngsters who might like to have functional and loving mother And no, toddlers do ‘not’ take the wheel of a car, regardless of how cute you might think it is.

Labels:

9 Comments:

Blogger SeaSpray said...

Hi Ian - I am not one to really follow the celebrities (just a few) but I did get a glimpse of Britney's shaved head on the news last night.

I agree with you that she needs to follow through with rehab and if not that then certainly counseling to help guide her through some issues.

I wonder if shaving her head was defiance, attention seeking, a cry for help or the fact that she wasn't thinking clearly because she was influenced by substance abuse of some sort?

8:32 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

Hey Ian, a few posts back you said you were tired of ranting. I thought you were going to go back to pleasant fun fare? No?

11:54 PM  
Blogger Leesa said...

How can some people who have so much become pathetic. Blows my mind.

---------------

I saw a little girl in McDonalds over the weekend, and she was so precious. She had light brunette hair, strands were coming out of her loosely-tied ponytail, and her laugh and smile were infectious. She ran up to a slightly older boy and said, "Come play with me." It was so cute and she eventually got the boy to play with her.

Well, I want to have a little contest called "Battle of the Bloggers." I wrote about it last week, and my readers were less-than-enthusiastic about the contest. I cannot be entered myself, but I want to host a competiton that, more than anything, will expose me and others to good blogs that we don't know about to date. Please visit my blog at http://dsmoya31410.blogspot.com to see the details. So if you want to nominate a blog for this competition, please do so. I don't really care who wins; I just want to know about quality blogs. Sorry if this looks like spam. I am just trying to spread the word.

6:49 AM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

I guess the more these young people are talked about the more credence is given to their lifestyles because of the publicity created. Perhaps if the media ignored them completely they would consider changing their attitudes and seek help...maybe.

7:24 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Huh? She shaved her head?

You know, what I find bizarre, is not so much that girl herself, but the endless fascination she and all those others elicits in people.

She makes the cover of every magazine, not because she has anything interesting to say, and yet people always clamour for more. And then, apparently, she shaves her head.. why? To garner more interest in her little life?

You're right Ian, she is totally pathetic.

But then, when you think of it, who's more pathetic? Britney, or those who can't get enough of her?

8:03 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

A question to ask ourselves...is she just completely flaky or is she playing the publicity game because her career is pretty much washed up. One way or the other, I think that she is pathetic. She is the product of a whole load of media hype. She got her 15 minutes of fame and should go quietly into obscurity... the sooner the better.

8:24 AM  
Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

She reminds me of the Manson followers now. And that ain't good.

Where's her parents? Her sister? Her friends? If the whole world can see what you are doing, why can't they and then intervene? I don't get it. Not blaming them; she did this to herself. I'm just saying...

8:43 AM  
Blogger djn said...

I told Rich I think she needs to hire a crew to give her constant attention. It's a shame, really. She could have really been a lot more. It's a joke in our family that if anyone in Hollywood does anything to offend someone else, they immediately check into rehab. In this case, I think it's probably a good idea -- especially since she has two little guys who depend on her to be a good mom.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Dr Michelle Tempest said...

Hi Ian, it does seem that poor Britney needs to learn now to be a good parent to herself. Michelle

2:41 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home