Thursday, February 15, 2007

Hey -- the world actually can get cheesier!

Just when you think the world can’t get any cheesier, it goes and surprises you.

Case in point: One of the major cell phone service providers in these parts, taking note of the fact that a lot of young people spend their days and nights walking around with these electronic appendages stuck in their ears; that’s when they’re not shooting questionable videos which they will then post on You Tube – you kids are going to be so ashamed in years to come when one of your own kids finds that old flick of you sitting on the potty and being filmed when you were 18 – or text messaging their friends or that predatory creep who is passing himself off as 19, when he is really 47.

So, OK, thought whizkids at this company (I hope none of the decision-makers actually have spawn of their own), if young people are doing all this salacious stuff on the Internet, why don’t we tap into this market? Why don’t we provide smut as part of our mobile-phone service? Really, I am not making this up. And they decided this would be a good thing. Aren’t you relieved to know that the corporate world is really caring about the well-being of your kids?

I say ‘kids’ because most people past a certain age – like me – see a cell phone as merely a telephone (hence something to be largely reviled). Anyhow, I don’t know how to do anything with mine other than to make or take a call, and I have no interest in doing anything else with it. I mean, nothing wrong with a little naughtiness in the right time or place, but not on my phone, for heaven’s sake. My mobile-phone, as I’ve stated before, mainly sits in my glove compartment for use if I have a highway emergency, or if I have to call home for some reason.

I’ll grant that I grew up in a different era. We got our libido-boosts from perusing the bra and panty ads in the Sear’s catalogue, or the very tame early Playboy mag, but I still know tackiness when I see it. In a world so replete with vulgarity of the lowest common denominator, do we need just a little more? Guess this particular company thinks so.

Now, the company in question (I’m not going to name them because they happen to be my service provider, and I don’t want to have my service cut off out of spite, as little as I use it, but I’ll give you a hint, their corporate name begins with a ‘T’) defends its decision as sound marketing. They deny that they are pandering or lowering the limbo-bar, but instead suggest (really) that in giving such a ‘pay’ service to wanking 15-year-olds they are keeping them from exploring the really evil stuff on the Internet, because they are only going to provide pictures of nudes, with no sexual interaction happening. Thin edge of the wedge, I say.

My point is – and I am no prude, but pretty broadminded about any shenanigans and frolics consenting adults want to get up to (I specify adults) – I find this indeed to be pandering of the lowest and most venal sort. It’s an attitude of, “they’re doing it anyway, so why don’t we cash in?”

Like I said, cheesy.

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Big Brother said...

Yeah but they'll be making a truck load of money and will raise their corporate profitability thus getting them a nice hefty bonus. I wouldn't want to be the Mom and Dad who will receive the bill for this brand new desirable *service*. It should be very hefty adding to the companies profit margin. I have kids at my school who are in grade 7, 8 and 9 who have cell phones. Are the phones so sophisticated that it can tell that a 12 year old is calling up this new service?
Why doesn't this surprise me? Sad really sad.

2:56 PM  
Blogger AlieMalie said...

i like my phone for two things: calls and text messages.

this whole surf the internet from your phone thing is a bit odd to me. what's the point? my phone already acts as my leash - i'll admit it - but there's no need to leash me to yet another thing out there via it.

i think i can live without the internet when i'm not at a computer.

sheesh.

5:58 PM  
Blogger Janice Thomson said...

It is indeed sad and disgusting that companies feel sex or innuendos of it is the only way to sell a product. Young impressionable minds are sucked in daily and the world wonders why there are so many perverts and mixed-up kids. Good post Ian.

7:21 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I'm guessing we're talking about nude women here... Will the service provide pictures of nude men too? Aaaah, I didn't think so.

That's sexist discrimination! ;-)

I have a friend who says 95% of the population are idiots. The more I see, the more I think she's right.

8:13 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

Sometimes I just don't want to be connected to everything all of the time.

9:21 AM  
Blogger Tai said...

It's crude, but it ain't new. Sadly.
Just gotta hope parents are taking responsibility for their children, I guess, and being their moral compass and guiding hand. (HAHAHAHAHA!! That's a good one!!)

11:44 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

The bar gets lowered every time something like this happens. Lowering standards is gonna be a baaaaaad thing for future generations.

1:56 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home