Wednesday, January 31, 2007

We want to go back, but we cannot

When he wasn’t obsessing in a fetishistic and creepy manner about his wife, Nora, or writing the virtually incomprehensible Ulysses, Irish writer James Joyce invented a literary device known as epiphany. That was very clever of him, because it is a device that transfers profoundly to real life.

Epiphany comes first and foremost as a Christian reference in that the day of the calendar is the day that Christ’s divinity was revealed to those at the time who might have been hankering for such a thing. In a literary sense it means, in barest essence, an incident or a time in which after a momentous change has taken place, we can never go back to what life was like before.

In that sense it certainly applies to the Christ connection, but it also applies to some of those events that have transformed you and the world – not always in a good way, I might add.

In a recent poll taken in Britain it was found that the three most traumatizing events in the modern era were, in descending order; 9/11, the death of Princess Diana, and the assassination of John Kennedy. Those were the kinds of events in which those who lived through them will not only remember the events with huge clarity; they will also remember the circumstances around first hearing the news. That is, if a person first became aware of the 9/11 horrors shortly after breakfast time, they also would be inclined to remember what they had at breakfast that day, and maybe even what they were wearing.

It’s understandable, by the way, that the Kennedy assassination should be at third place, mainly because to have been aware of its actuality, a person would now have to be in his or her late 40s to have had comprehension of the magnitude of Nov. 22, 1963.

As for Diana, I remember I got a late night phone call from a lady friend in Toronto who told me the news.

Of the Trade Center incident I can recall exactly what transpired. Wendy and I were in the Cook Islands and we’d gone in early in the morning to a little shop in Avarua, Rarotonga, to order some custom-embroidered sweatshirts. We gave our order, and the guy (an Australian) told us to come back in an hour to pick them up. When we returned, he ushered us into the cluttered back office of the shop. “Look at this,” he said, pointing to the computer screen. I couldn’t make it out at first, and was wondering why he wanted to show us a picture of an airplane crashing into a skyscraper. Then he explained what had happened. To say we were aghast would be to state the case mildly.

And, as we all know, from that day on, the world changed, not just a little bit, but monumentally. And, which is most important in the case of epiphany, ‘we can never go back!’ All about us has changed, and we as individuals have been transfigured and transformed. It’s a natural impulse to long for a return to normality. It will never transpire. We suffer from posttraumatic shock, and then we go through the stages-of-grief, and then we realize we will always be slightly diminished by that moment of epiphany.

Of course we, as human beings, have our personal moments of epiphany, and they aren’t ‘lesser’ events than the big cataclysmic ones, but possibly greater, because they shatter us within our own domains.

I can remember after my abrupt separation from my second wife, awakening in a state of shock and unreality for weeks afterwards, filled with denial about what had happened, and obsessively yearning to go back to just minutes before her uttering the words: “This isn’t working for me any more, so I want you to leave.” This utterance came virtually without warning that anything was amiss, by the way. So, you can imagine the profundity of that epiphany. And it was over. And I never went back. The blessing ultimately was that I was glad I never went back.

But, we have also suffered deaths of parents, sometimes spouses or partners, siblings and friends. We can’t have them return, but we are never the same as a result.

If we are strong enough, we grow from such experiences and we alter our perceptions, hopefully for the better.

Anyway, I would love your comments on your epiphanies (by the way, there can be very good epiphanies, too, such as meeting somebody and knowing virtually in an instant you love that person desperately – yes, I do believe in love at first sight – and that your life will ever after be altered) and what they meant to you. If Dr. Serani is around, I would love her insights here, too.

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Leesa said...

I remember the Challenger accident much more than Diana. Some events, no matter how long ago, stir memories (smells, sounds, feelings).

11:27 AM  
Blogger Big Brother said...

I remember JFK's assasination like it was yesterday. We were coming home from school and it was the first snowfall of winter. I was making fake tractor tracks in the snow with my friend Pierre (Hey I know it's strange but we were only 8 years old at the time), when another of our friends shouted to us from his open door that JFK had been killed. I remember telling him that his joke wasn't funny.I can still picture myself standing there in the wet snow, with wet mittens, snowflakes falling, after having made a long line of tracks and feeling stunned and unbelieving.

7:35 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I did have one of those 'love at first sight' epiphanies, and while the moment was certainly softened with too much wine and the lateness of the hour, the realization that "THIS was the guy for me!" did hit with the proverbial thunderclap. We'd known each other for only a few hours, but BOOM! Here we are, ten years later, and that first impression has not yet proven wrong.

I recall where I was when I heard of Diana's death (in the bathtub) and where I was during 9/11 (in bed) and also where I was when I heard Robertson Davies had died (also in bed) -- comparing these pivotal events in my life gives the impression that I don't do anything active.

11:12 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I've only had one moment that I ever called an epiphany. I had been at the lake drinking beer all day. For some reason, Todd (the male half of the couple we had gone boating with) and I were riding in the back of our pick up truck. I guess we were talking about our parents for whatever reason when it occurred to me that my parents WERE JUST PEOPLE. JUST PEOPLE with all the quirks, foibles, wishes, wants and self-doubt that ALL people have. It was profound. I instantly forgave them both for anything they had ever done that I had seen as "unforgivable." I think I was about 26. It was very freeing. Thanks for the memory!

11:44 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

I remember Diana of course. The only epiphany in that ne for me was how ridiculous the whole thing was, how totally blown out of proportion, because to me, the death of woman who was famous for marrying a prince and wearing great clothes... well, not so much ya know?

As for personal epiphanies, there are two. My dad's death and the day I woke up, after 4-5 months with Mr. Jazz and realized that I was madly in love with this guy but damn, he was just supposed to be my rebound guy. 20 years later, I guess we both have looooong rebounds (he was rebounding too).

6:12 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home