Monday, January 22, 2007

Sally cared. Should I?

For about 20 years I wrote a weekly newspaper column. It was popular, often funny (I hoped) and offered (I also hoped) some insights into the peculiarities of life in what was then the last quarter of the 20th Century.

I liked writing my column because it helped my thought processes. I also liked it because it was popular. It won a few newspaper awards, and people would stop me in the street to tell me how much it meant to them. A public declaration that immediately made me like the people who said such things to me. Nobody writes who doesn’t have an ego. In that I (and probably the rest of us who blog here or write elsewhere) must be honest.

I once mentioned here an incident in which a reader asked me why I didn’t declare myself politically in my column. I replied that I didn’t want to alienate half my readership by so doing. I meant it at the time, but what I maybe didn’t ‘get’ was that some of my motivation in writing the column was ‘people pleasing.’ I didn’t want to come out and declare myself because I wanted my readers to ‘like’ me. I was like Sally Field when she won her Oscar – “You like me! You really, really like me!” Nothing wrong with that. It’s better to be liked than disliked in a world gone mad. There are pressures enough all around us, surely. But, at the same time, if I find myself refraining from stating what I truly believe for the sake of placating readers, then I am compromising my integrity.

And, no, I’m not going to declare my politics, because they change day-by-day, depending on whom I’m pissed off with. I’m like WC Fields in that I always vote ‘against.’

But, speaking of pissing off, I am put in mind of a bit of wisdom offered by octogenarian (and still going strong) author, Norman Mailer. He recently offered the following insight into the writer’s craft – and obligation:

“…most writers who are timid are afraid of pissing people off because they feel they’ll lose part of their audience. My feeling has always been that one mustn’t be afraid of that. It’s much better to write with the notion that if you’re good enough, you can change people’s lives. That’s one of the powerful motives of writing, to feel that you’ve enlarged other people’s consciousness…”

In essence, I agree with Mailer. And maybe when I’m 83 I’ll have the self-confidence to have completely shucked all manifestations of people pleasing. I don’t think I’m necessarily a timid writer, but sometimes I believe I don’t have the ‘right’ to ram my opinions down the throats of others. Yet, at the same time, I have always loved inflammatory writers. I enjoy people (in literature and in life) who say exactly what they think, even if what they think is (in my esteem) bullshit. Such people may not be popular, but they possibly don’t care all that much.

Just some thoughts on this Monday morning. Gee, I hope you ‘liked’ it and then, by default, ‘liked’ me.

Labels: , ,

9 Comments:

Blogger Jazz said...

LOL! I love the spam comment above. Sunqinwo LIKES YOU!!

I don't post much in the way of political opnions (except to bash stupid politicians, regardless of ideology), simply because I think most people really don't give a damn one way or another - and maybe there's a little of the "i want them to like me" in that too. I never really thought of it.

However, even if tomorrow you come out and state your political opinions, the fact that they might be the total opposite of mine won't stop me from reading your blog. On the contrary, it's always nice to see the other side of things.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Lily said...

I like you. I really, really do.

:)

12:29 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

nope ian, i didn't like what you wrote at all, and usually don't like what you right. ok, how does that make you feel?

JUST JOKING! DON'T HAVE A COW!

i love your articles. that's why i come here to read what interesting topic you're dealing with for the day.

i think people's opinions are good. it's what makes the world go round. if everyone thought the same, wrote the same things, and tried to please everyone in the process, life would be so BORING.

you know what i especially like about having our own blogs? we can write what we want. my philosophy is if you don't like what i write, then don't read it because i'm not changing what i write to please anyone.

God inspires me to write what i write, so if anyone has a problem, then they can talk to God. my blog is the one place that i can be free, and i can be me.

and the same for you ian. there will always be people who will read your articles. some may stop, but there will always be new people coming aboard.

keep the writing a-coming.

sylvia

7:40 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

oops, see while i was trying to be funny, i used the wrong word on the second line. it should be "write," not "right."

sylvia

7:41 PM  
Blogger geewits said...

I've never cared about being liked. I'm sure some of my posts were annoying or offensive to others. The reason I will NEVER discuss politics on my blog is because I don't want to get into a pointless argument with someone that I don't even know. If they are from the "other party" I will never agree with anything they say and would actually think them stupid and uneducated - as I'm sure they would me.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Deb Sistrunk Nelson said...

I really, really like you. :-)
And I think the spammer comment is hilarious!

I can see from your work here why you are an award-winning columnist. You have a writing style that draws your readers to you. You're the flame; we're the moths. LOL

We have enough people in the blogosphere offering their opinions on just about everything. It's a joy to visit your space, where you're a master at facilitating conversation.

Your fan,
Deb

7:43 AM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

We really DO like you! So much, in fact. I think it is wise to be politically correct when writing. It can alienate certain readers. And I hope that my writing, at least, will help educate those who might not have read a letter if they new more personal things about me. Writing for me is about expression and educating.

How wonderful to have had a column for twenty years. With high readership, awards and nods. Kudso to you.

Keep on writing!
~Deb

8:44 AM  
Blogger Leesa said...

You know, a while back, I had a large readership and I really didn't like it, mostly because I feel compelled to manage comments. Now, I think I have bored people - not pissed them off.

I don't necessarily want to be liked. I just don't like to offend. Well, I like to offend some.

2:40 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I was recently told that my novel was good, but it had the word 'fuck' in it too many times. "Maybe you could leave out the nasty language in the next one." was the suggestion.

Hell, no. That just made me (or, to be honest, the character who lives in my imagination) want to curse more.

I may be a timid person, but I'll be damned if I'm a timid writer. :)

We all like you, and we like your opinions, even if they don't agree with ours. Isn't that what a mature discourse is all about? You simply can't have a decent debate if everyone in the room agrees! :)

9:46 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home