Thursday, January 11, 2007

Those old flannel-shirt wearing weather blues!

It’s flannel shirt weather.

I hate that!

I hate it for two reasons. The first reason is that flannel shirts never make a fashion statement – they always look dorky and functional. The second is that flannel shirt weather means it’s not aloha shirt weather. In other words, it’s too cold to be acceptable.

I have a grand total of three flannel shirts hanging in my closet. I detest it when conditions are such that I have to say, post-shower: “Well, I guess I’ll have to put on a (profane adjective indicating sexual intercourse) flannel shirt. I put it on and immediately I feel like Bob and Doug Mackenzie, or Red Green. That’s because flannel shirts prototypically Canadian.

So, that’s another reason I don’t like flannel shirts – they are so Canadian. Not that I am troubled about being Canadian. As North American nations go, it’s a reasonably decent place in which to reside. In fact, I believe it was George W. Bush who once stated: “Now that I know where Canada is, I am comfortable in stating that Canada is America’s favorite northern neighbor.” High praise indeed.

What I don’t like about being Canadian is that we tend to have winter. We on the west coast don’t have ‘winter’ like the weird hinterland parts of the country, but this year it has been very winterish. Right now temperatures are well below freezing and, even though the sun is shining, it’s still demanding of garment insulation.

My antipathy to flannel shirts goes back to junior high. About the end of eighth grade I announced to my mother that I world no longer wear flannel shirts. Checked flannel shirts were only worn by dorks. Dorks who button them right to the top and tuck them into their dorky corduroy pants and then pull their pants up to a point immediately south of the ribcage. No, I wasn’t that kind of a kid. I was no dork! I was no Beaver Cleaver (I aspired to be Wally-like) as in the illustration where you can see the collar of his, yep, flannel shirt. No, Beaver was not Canadian, but I think he may have been an honorary Canadian. Therefore, I could only be decked out in non-dork garments. Garments that made a statement about my coolness – such as a light cotton shirt, open to the belly-button and then tucked into Levis that rested around my hips. Oh, and the shirt collar was required to be turned up at the back. Incredibly cool was I.

In fact, I was as dorkish (actually, I’m not sure that such terms as dork, dweeb, nerd or any of the other current pejoratives were around at that time, but you get my drift) as everybody else, and maybe just a little more facile, which was why costuming seemed to be important.

I outgrew any obsessive need to appear cool, but I have been left with a residual antipathy to flannel shirts. Truly, what could be more dorky-looking than an aloha shirt – unless you happen to be in Hawaii and are Tom Selleck – on an otherwise normally well-dressed man? I have no answer for that.
But, I still hate flannel shirts, and that’s why on this chilly day I am wearing a turtle-neck tee under a pullover sweater. How Jack Kerouac.

On the other hand, Kerouac died a drunken bum at an early, whereas Bill Gates (who definitely looks like a flannel shirt wearer) is just rolling in bucks.

9 Comments:

Blogger AlieMalie said...

ahh, it's flip flop weather here.

*smirk*

the offer still stands ...

12:12 PM  
Blogger Christina_the_wench said...

HOCKEY! My god man, you guys have HOCKEY! *drools*

(Can you tell we've had no snow and I am jonesing for it bad?)

12:19 PM  
Blogger Life is Good said...

I love flannel!!! I remember as a kid that changing the sheets on the bed to the flannel sheets meant that winter was upon us. I love flannel sheets in the winter when it is cold and bleak. Flannel pjs are great when you come home from work and it is dark and rainy out. And flannel shirts are warm and cosy. There is nothing dorky about flannel in my books. Flannel is good. Flannel rules! :)VA

7:55 PM  
Blogger kimber said...

I adore flannel shirts, because they are the unofficial uniform of archaeology students everywhere, and I wore my flannel shirt (with braids and Birkenstocks) with pride all through university. :)

9:27 PM  
Blogger Marie-Hélène Raletz said...

I don't think aloha shirts make a fashion statement either.
This being said, I get your drift :)
I must say I love flannel shirts, precisely because they look so... Canadian!
I fact, I positively hate aloha shirts, all the more so when they are being worn anywhere else than aloha places.
I am more lenient toward flannel shirts, somehow :)
Marie

10:18 PM  
Blogger Jazz said...

We're used to flannel shit weather here in Montreal, but we seem to have stolen your winter weather this year. Mr. Jazz is still wearing his aloha shirts.

5:16 AM  
Blogger Jazz said...

Oops. That should read shirt. Shirt not shit.

10:25 AM  
Blogger geewits said...

For me personally, a flannel shirt is what I call "house clothes." I own a ton of stuff I wear around the house but would never wear out in public. On the other hand, I've found over the years that there is no right or wrong GUY shirt. Every guy is different. Some guys are just made for flannel shirts, for Hawaiian shirts or for turtlenecks. My husband wouldn't be caught dead in a turtleneck. He thinks they are, well, effeminate, but I think they look good on some guys. Some guys can make a T-shirt look like a dress shirt and some guys can make a dress shirt look like something they picked up off the ground. Each guy should find what works for them and go with it. (But I guess we could say the same for women!)

2:41 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I love flannel shirts because they are cosy they look nice and dallas green were em

1:32 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home