Friday, January 05, 2007

The non-erotic adventures of a typing student


It was the beginning of my 11th grade year in school and when I was filling in the blanks in my timetable I realized I had one block of time that was unfilled after I had inserted all my required academic courses like English, history, biology, French (yuck), PE (double yuck) and math (yuck with festering sores all over it).

What to do? I had to choose from a list of ‘electives’, as they were called. I didn’t want to take woodshop, or metalwork, and in those days boys didn’t take home ec unless they wanted their sexual orientation seriously questioned. I wasn’t tough enough to go there despite the allure of cooking, for example, because I still had to walk to and from school.

So, I opted for typing. That was the best course decision I ever made in my life, despite the reams of academic courses I took in high school and university. I can fully say I wouldn’t have had the career that ultimately evolved if I hadn’t learned how to touch type.

My motivation at the time wasn’t necessarily to learn how to type. It was just a matter of filling in that block of time combined with the sure knowledge that a great number of females took typing. Females of the future secretary sort took typing. Females that were rumoured to be excessively easy about access to their nubile charms took typing. Females who dyed their hair and wore short, tight skirts and boob-emphasizing mohair sweaters took typing. Females none of whom looked remotely like the young lady pictured, I might mention. So, I guess you could say the illustration is gratuitous if you were so inclined.

What is true is that majority of those members of the Future Secretaries Club were more reminiscent of Mrs. Wiggins, the gum-snapping moronic steno on the old Carol Burnett Show, than anyone else. There were some exceptions. Exceptions that didn't bother looking at me since I didn't possess the sort of car and bankrolls their hoodlumish boyfriends could boast of. I was out of the running in my sexual conquest designs.

I registered in the class and there was just one other guy. I don’t remember his name but I recall he devoted much of his time to munching sunflower seeds and spitting the shells all over the place. He was also a big, slobbish, kind of dumb guy, so he was not going to be any competition in attracting the attentions of any libido-charging females who might deign to give me a glance.

Anyway, to make a long story short, I struck out royally with the budding secretarial students of the female persuasion, and I also kept flunking my speed and accuracy tests. Then, one day it dawned on me that I didn’t have to set any speed records; I didn’t even have to pass the course. It was an elective and wouldn’t be added to my aggregate grades.

So, I mainly coasted and grimaced as the dude next to me spat another sunflower seed towards the front of the class to show his contempt for the rather shrill female martinet (martinette?) who ran the class.

At the end of it all, however, I did learn how to type, and the skill has never left me. I could type in my sleep. I can do ‘air’ keyboard. And that skill carried me through university because I never had to pay anybody to type out my term papers or be forced to do the old one-finger or two-finger scramble.

Ultimately, as a reporter and columnist it served me quite brilliantly. I became with practice an efficient, fast and accurate typist to the degree that I could take down a story on the telephone and not even glance at the paper (in the old days) or the screen, and I would know most of it would be right.

So, I say to any young person who is looking for a course to take in school, I would almost insist that he or she learn how to type. Furthermore, if the young person is male, he might just have better luck with the females in the class than I did. But, if he does, I don’t want to hear about it.

Did anyone out there take any particular course that served them better and offered more unexpected benefits than all the others did?

Labels: , , ,

10 Comments:

Blogger Lily said...

In high school, I was going after an honors diploma...the only thing I needed was a fine arts credit. That's how I ended up in an entry level art class close to the end of my high school years.

Now, this class didn't spark some great talent in me...however, it allowed me to make new friends, to become social without a safety net, so to speak.

For that, I am lucky.

12:53 PM  
Blogger Dr. Deb said...

I have to say that I had two best classesin high school. One was my typing class. It was a skill that was easy to master and has never let me down - but for the occasional wrist tendonitis. I also took a psychology class in high school and that got me into the field.

And Mrs. Wiggins rocked and Mr. Tudball was hilarious.

1:55 PM  
Blogger heiresschild said...

when i was a junior in high school, i took a typing class and sat by a senior. we used to have friendly competitive typing races to see who could type the fastest, with the least amount of errors. she always beat me, but it helped to get my speed up to 120wpm. that was the kind of work i did, and enjoyed it until the supervisors started doing stupid things like bringing me 50 pages of work at 4:45pm to type up by 5:00pm. enough for me. that's why i'm working on my own businesses right now. i can still type too.

sylvia

2:07 PM  
Blogger Leslie: said...

As a retired (but young) school teacher, I can assure you that ALL children learn to type very early in life these days. In fact, there probably is no such thing a "typing" class anymore because kids can already do that by the time they're about 6 or 7 years old. (there are lessons in speed and proficiency, though) Children begin learning computer skills in pre-kindergarten and by the time they're in about grade 3, are typing their own stories, journals, essays, and project work. And yes, Ian, the photo is gratuitous and, in my humble opinion, tasteless. Usually your posts are humourous and/or informative, but I'll take a pass from now on. Sorry.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Ian Lidster said...

OK -- I concede that the former picure was gratuitous (cute, though), as Leslie suggested, so I have replaced it with one more in keeping.

3:59 PM  
Blogger Lily said...

Even though students learn to "type" things out at at an early age, there are still keyboarding courses to teach them how to do so correctly. Well, at least there are those courses here in the States.

Also, I found the first picture to be fitting with the tone of the post...young boy's hopes for an interesting typing class and all. Heck, I was just glad for a bit of humor on a Friday afternoon!

Thanks. :)

6:39 PM  
Blogger Life is Good said...

Very funny posting. A young person would not get the significance of the typing class stigma. I would not have entertained the idea mainly because I did not want to be seen as a bimbo. Now I regret not being able to touch type.

I think the most valuable course content was both grammar and math. I have consistently used these skills throughout my life.

VA

8:15 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

i took typing 1 so that i could take the business lit class w/ the cool teacher... the typing class was a prerequiset....

i earned a D-

yes, a D-

by the time i took the class, we were taking it on computers and it had become second nature for me to use the backspace key when i made an error... unfortunatly, every time i hit the backspace that raised my error count even HIGHER on the timed tests..

alas, i am STILL glad i took the class because i am able to type with all my fingers from "home row" and in college i was the one making extra cash typing everyone ELSES papers

11:28 AM  
Blogger Marie-Hélène Raletz said...

Too bad I missed the 1st picture, this is the price to pay for getting late to the ball :(

"Did anyone out there take any particular course that served them better and offered more unexpected benefits than all the others did?"

Interesting question. I never learnt to type, I'm self-taught in this subject, as in many more. I learnt Latin & Greek (7 years in Latin, 5 in Greek), and although the benefits are not obvious in terms of my current job, I wish I add carried on with it. It seems I forgot all about it.
Marie

10:31 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Sincerely i was so crushed when my Husband of 8 years left me and moved to Texas to be with another woman. The pains was just too much for me to bear that I couldn't just bear it anymore. So i had to reached out to the Internet for help until i found out that DR ZUMA was the real deal. I almost gave up trying to get my Ex Husband back in having a happy, Lovely and a contented family again.. I had tried the whole lot I knew, and with your spells, blessings and extraordinary magical powers, you did all the work for me, which you have guaranteed me positive result in 4 DAYS, my Ex Husband came back to me and he was remorseful for the whole lot he has done. And now my life is balanced and i am happy again. DR ZUMA you did a great service to people, and I don't think many people had known about you. You are the diamond in the rough. Thank you DR ZUMA You are talented and you give off yourself so freely like you did to me. Thank you for weaving your magical love spells for me and MY HUSBAND. He is back to me just the way it was when we first met.. from the depths of my soul! I am immeasurably happy now.. now my man is back to me just in 3 DAYS, as you have said it..wow.. Thank you so much sir, Lots of appreciations.. Here is DR ZUMA Email: spiritualherbalisthealing@gmail.com. WhatsApp him +15068001647

2:28 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home